MARC research on profitability

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Some time ago I read some MARC research where they stated fertility is x many times more important than growth, etc, etc for cow calf profitability.

Does anyone know where I can find this research paper again?

KNERSIE":31gw9769 said:
Some time ago I read some MARC research where they stated fertility is x many times more important than growth, etc, etc for cow calf profitability.

Go online to "U.S.Meat Animal Research Center" and scroll the listings.

DOC HARRIS

IIRC, I read the same paper.

And, IIRC, the gist of the story/analysis was more, but smaller, calves was more profitable than fewer, but bigger, calves --- assuming you're at max capacity on your place.

I can believe it. I've said for years that I'd rather have an average calf every 12 months than a really good one every 16. Don't get me wrong, I try to raise good calves, and for the most part I think I succeed, but the first thing I require of a cow is that she raise a calf every year.

KNERSIE":27h8g2qi said:

I just took a seminar in epigenetics that some would find quite interesting too . How what we do during gestation and the first months of the calves life has the most effect on the outcome of the animal . I have it on disk so I will see if I can save and up load it to here some how . Just need a few free hours to get to it .

KNERSIE":jbxwm45w said:

Yes, you can find it on the Texas A&M and LSU websites.
Here is the formula courtesy of Dr. JD Roussel of LSU:

"The most important trait in any breed of Cattle is reproduction. Reproductive performance is 10 times more important than growth traits and growth traits are five times more important than carcass traits."

JWBrahman":3cohn4fo said:
KNERSIE":3cohn4fo said:

"The most important trait in any breed of Cattle is reproduction. Reproductive performance is 10 times more important than growth traits and growth traits are five times more important than carcass traits."

Problem these days is selling this point. Having fertile moderate cattle that give you average size calves every year seems too boring for most. Leaves little to talk about. Inputs are ignored also.

AllForage":3orlozgf said:
JWBrahman":3orlozgf said:
KNERSIE":3orlozgf said:

Problem these days is selling this point. Having fertile moderate cattle that give you average size calves every year seems too boring for most. Leaves little to talk about. Inputs are ignored also.

Stocking rate is unavoidably and absolutely linked to the long-term profitability of an operation. Maintaining a high stocking rate of incrementally better cattle is easier with more fertile animals. Maintaining profitability is unavoidably and absolutely linked to being able to do this with limited inputs (ideally, with no inputs).

The LSU Agcenter website used to have excel type spreadhseets listing all of the input costs for cow calf producers in Louisiana. It then did the basic arithmetic for how much money an operation loses for each calf that isn't born on time or isn't born at all. If it takes x amount of years to pay off a cow, then losing a calf makes it x+1. The 10 times formula is an accurate rule of thumb.

Also from LSU and OSU:
The role of the cow/calf producer has no changes. The key to the producer's success is basically as it has been in the past:
1.Production: a calf every 12 months from each cow
2.Weaning weights: as many pounds of calf produced per acre of land as economically practical.
3.Cost of production: cost per pounds of calf produced as low as possible while maintaining productivity.

Latest posts