Used milking machine wanted

Help Support CattleToday:

I shouldn't be trying to post this early. I'm definitely not awake yet. When the inflation is on the cow's teat, and the milk swirls, in between each pulse there's a relaxation, which can cause the milk to backwash slightly into the teat orifice. So if there's any bacteria on the outside of the teat, the milk picks it up, then it backwashes back inside momentarily, a bad bug or two might hang on and stay inside. That could happen with every pulse/release of the milker. That's what I was trying to say. I'm going to get a fresh cup of coffee now and see if I can't get the rest of my brain in gear. :)

Of course I used pre milking teat dip. But I did not use an after washing teat dip. Staph aureus is like a ghost guaranteed to come back to haunt every Halloween. I'm using gloves from now on after dipping. I've never machine milked but I understand you have to really clean and sanitize the equipment every time. I heard of a woman who brings her belly pail and the whole 9 yards into the bathtub so she can clean and sanitize with hot water.

I've seen beef cows with balloon tits get mastitis. I'm drinking coffee right now, with cream.

Wow MurryMutts, that is a great udder edema article. Elsewhere on that site, did you know that cows can get herpes?

Last edited:
This surge bucket belly pail milker I am looking at- the instructions say clean and disinfect the teats with iodophor and chlorohexidine dip after cleaning each teat with a separate towelet while wearing a new pair of nitrile cloves- Then dip again with fresh dip this is almost like surgical prep. I like it :) https://www.surgemilker.com/instructions/surgebucketmilker2013.pdf

Cow pox is a relative of the herpes virus . The first smallpox vaccine was developed from the cow pox..... Also related to smallpox, according to some researchers. In fact back when small pox devastated the european countries it is said that milk maids did not get small pox if they had been exposed to cows with cow pox. There is much discussion about the possibility of some terrorist getting ahold of small pox and using it because it has been generations since people were vaccinated. And one train of thought says to NOT get vaccinated if you have had any form of herpes virus; and some old research says that drs used the smallpox vaccination on those with herpes or exposed to it to prevent it.

I have been well exposed to cow pox and had a herpes virus many years ago. It was miserable.... but I have never had any more outbreaks and will not get the shingles vaccine because of my live exposures... to each his own beliefs.

Yep. $850 delivered on ebay including shipping from Wisconsin.

Here is how it works. They were first made in the early 1900s, AKA the mechanical calf. They fell out of favor and stopped making them in 1999 when all the mega dairys went to milk lines, but people still buy them an refurbish them for sale.

Since I'm a nurse I've been vaccinated twice for smallpox, again after 9/11 so I can vaccinate the public in case of terrorist attack. Once on each arm. I have matching scars.

Last edited:
Yep. $850 delivered on ebay including shipping from Wisconsin.

Here is how it works. They were first made in the early 1900s, AKA the mechanical calf. They fell out of favor and stopped making them in 1999 when all the mega dairys went to milk lines, but people still buy them an refurbish them for sale.

Since I'm a nurse I've been vaccinated twice for smallpox, again after 9/11 so I can vaccinate the public in case of terrorist attack. Once on each arm. I have matching scars.

I am not against a belly milker. Think I found the seller. It doesn't look like it comes with the surcingle. Do you have a plan for that? Is there anything else you can see you'll need to get separately? Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Yes mine came with the surcingle, hanger and everything. If it is the same guy he also sells them with a two teat setup for goats. Some people don't want a belly pail. He sends those with long milk lines do it can be set on the floor.

Yes mine came with the surcingle, hanger and everything. If it is the same guy he also sells them with a two teat setup for goats. Some people don't want a belly pail. He sends those with long milk lines do it can be set on the floor.
I think it's the same seller. It doesn't say it comes with the surcingle so figured I would ask. I do believe I will be ordering. Really appreciate all the info.

I talked with the seller this morning. He still has surcingle's because he mentioned he sent me one of the better ones. These are used surcingles, they've been on lots of cows. If you are milking a cow ask for the four short milk lines that hang from the bucket. They don't fall into the dirt if you set the milker down. Also, hanging down shuts the vacuum off to them until you are ready to put on the teat. And tell what age cow and breed when you order so he can send the right inflation and shell size.

The first smallpox vaccine was developed from the cow pox..... Also related to smallpox, according to some researchers. In fact back when small pox devastated the european countries it is said that milk maids did not get small pox if they had been exposed to cows with cow pox.
A small thing. The first successful smallpox vaccines were made from cowpox.

The smallpox vaccine story is a fascinating in-depth read about a disease that had ravaged mankind since before the time of Christ. The original 'vaccinations' against smallpox tho, came from the lesions of those infected with the actual disease. It worked, but a relatively high % of them died from the disease and the practice of using live smallpox virus set off several regional outbreaks. Still that practice carried on for over a century before Jenner and others showed that cowpox was the best serum to use.
It's still out there, just waiting, somewhere. Like polio, it will resurface at some point and it is unlikely with the current attitude regarding vaccines and 'rights' that we will be as successful at putting that genie back in the bottle as we were last time.

back to the regularly scheduled programming....

I talked with the seller this morning. He still has surcingle's because he mentioned he sent me one of the better ones. These are used surcingles, they've been on lots of cows. If you are milking a cow ask for the four short milk lines that hang from the bucket. They don't fall into the dirt if you set the milker down. Also, hanging down shuts the vacuum off to them until you are ready to put on the teat. And tell what age cow and breed when you order so he can send the right inflation and shell size.
Double R Ranch, just to be sure the ebay Surge milker sellers name starts with L.
Very good to know. This tells me this is the seller who I have been speaking too. I have been debating on ordering. He has one up for auction a bit cheaper than his buy it now listings I am thinking of bidding on. His price went up since you ordered. He was quick to answer messages. I will take your advice on the short milking lines. He said it was my choice since the listing doesn't list them. My research showed the short lines a better option as you stated. I am very appreciative of the information and help. I think I will go bid on the listing. Need to look into what else we will need. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend the book Milk Cow Kitchen by MaryJane Butters. It's by far been the best book on this topic among others like cheese etc. Thanks again for the continued information!

Hamby's refurbished complete Surge belly pail system is $2,495 (when they have them) and the buyer pays freight. https://hambydairysupply.com/surge-family-cow-bucket-milker-complete-1-cow-system/

Mine cost $850, I went up $10. He has a lot of people looking. Rebuilding and selling these is his other job so he will probably have more later.

Don't think of getting on the of there they are Chinese pieces pieces of cr__p

That's good to know on the seller. Wasn't sure if the ones listed were all he has or if he gets them and continues to list them. We were looking at the refurbished previously but a brand new milker with shipping was about the same cost from them. Both prices ridiculous in my opinion. That is why we don't have one yet. We had seen that milker and decided it wasn't worth it. Glad we didn't. Usually seems if the price is too good to be true there's a reason. Having said that we have purchased some expensive new items in the last few years that we greatly regret.

Latest posts