Milking only from two teats

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We recently purchased a second Jersey. She just calved in early February. Her back teats are extremely small, so much so, it is difficult to milk them. Even when we are able to, it's difficult to get the milk in the bucket.

We still have the calf on her.

My question is, will we cause any problems if we only milk her front two teats?

Share milk cows will hold back their cream for the calf. Also will only let down for the calf. These problems can be gotten around by using an electric milker. You plug up one of the inflations with a special plug and leave one teat for the calf. He can only get that one teat because the others are being drained by a machine. The amount of time it takes for a calf to strip a teat the other three are also drained, it's not like hand milking. She lets down and gives all the cream. This is much better thatn fighting the calf for teats hand milking. A big calf will take them anyway.

When my first Jersey freshend she had tiny rear teats like thumb and one finger teats it was ridiculous. I actually made a bra out of an old sweatshirt and 2 bathrobe belts that covered the front teats so the calf would work and stretch the back two. It did not work. He just shoved the bra aside.

The problem is that modern Jerseys have little milking machine teats. I had to buy a used milking machine with solved several problems.Daphne's brassiere.jpg

When my first Jersey freshend she had tiny rear teats like thumb and one finger teats it was ridiculous. I actually made a bra out of an old sweatshirt and 2 bathrobe belts that covered the front teats so the calf would work and stretch the back two. It did not work. He just shoved the bra aside.

The problem is that modern Jerseys have little milking machine teats. I had to buy a used milking machine with solved several problems.View attachment 20274
And the look on her face is PRICELESS!
Shes like....
Are you friggin kidding me right now??
🤣
I'd a just bought her 2 more calves instead of a milking machine

The problem is that modern Jerseys have little milking machine teats. I had to buy a used milking machine with solved several problems.View attachment 20274
Is that a bath robe belt on the back?

Attachments

• 4619CA9E-1D52-43E6-9ACC-7D81FAD5C7B7.jpeg
    4619CA9E-1D52-43E6-9ACC-7D81FAD5C7B7.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 656C421B-AAC1-4F2E-A2F2-472162505D02.jpeg
    656C421B-AAC1-4F2E-A2F2-472162505D02.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
Those were both bath robe belts. The pick one is mine the blue one is my husband's. I got them back when the calf discouraging brassier did not work.

I have seen actual cow brassiers for sale. They are for heavy producing cows with blown suspensory ligaments. I was at a dairy the other day. Those cows have suspensory ligaments out the wazoo. Heavy production no brassiers needed.

Years ago I majored for a while in agriculture. This was during the hippy days. The professor, an old cowboy, was talking about blown suspensorys and swing bag in cows. He said " I should not say this because there are females in this class but there are a lot of swing bags on this campus"

Last edited:

Latest posts