US DOT numbers on pick-up trucks to haul cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
I spent most of the day at the Cattlemen's association board meeting today. One of the speakers was an Alabama State trooper talking about this requirement for truck trailer combinations with GVW more that 10,000 pounds. From what I understand there is more to this than meets the eye. He said to start his talk that all we needed to do was apply for a number and post it on our truck and it would not cost us one dime. However, after a heated question and answer session there is more to it than that.
Let me list out what I understand will be required in this following example.

Lets take a pickup truck like a GMC 1500 with a GVW of 6200 pounds pulling a small two axial trailer rated at 3500 pounds per axial or a trailer with 7000-pound GVW. That is a total GVW of 13,200 pounds and over the 10,000 cut off. This could be a 16 foot cattle trailer or a 16 foot utility trailer, which we see every day.
From what I understood, the operator would need the following.

1) Us DOT number displayed on the side of the truck so that it can be read from 50 feet. Along with a Farm name also displayed.
2) A medical card just like the one required for a CDL.
3) A safety inspection for both the truck and trailer.

I'm pretty sure KY's requirements are similar. Got the DOT numbers, but just keeping the fingers crossed about the medical card and the safety inspection.

They tried to do something like that down here but it failed. The REAL reason was they wanted more revenue from all the campers. Tags for trucks with a GVW of 8,000 pounds would have been over $200 each year.

Alabama,

Since last October when I had to buy a weight classification tag for my personal pickup it has chapped my rearend that I had to pay extra for the total weight of the truck, trailer and contents when this was for my personal use. I found the following on the Limeston County AL website last night. This morning I called my local courthouse to confirm and they agreed with the following -
Looks like the tag on my 3/4 chevy will drop from $350 down to around $125 per year.

Ya'll may already be aware of this but, if not ------

"New Law Act 2006-356 Creates Relief For Travel Trailer Owners
Effective July 1, 2006, there will be two different definitions of gross vehicle weight related to pickup trucks.

If a pickup truck is used for personal or agricultural purposes and is not operated for any commercial purposes, then the gross vehicle weight is defined as the empty weight of the truck only. This is the case regardless of whether the pickup truck is used in combination with a personal utility trailer, travel trailer or boat.

Trucks used for commercial purposes will continue to be registered based on the gross weight of the vehicle. Gross weight means the heaviest load to be carried on the vehicle or the vehicle combination.

In 2005, Alabama pickup truck owners were provided a new license plate category that provides additional weight above the standard license plate, yet stays under the 10,001 lb. Federal threshold that requires DOT compliance.

By adding the new P1 license plate category, the most common options for pickup trucks are as follows:

PC category, up to 8,000 lbs., $23.00,
P1 category, 8,001 to 10,000 lbs, $35.00,
XM category, 10,001 to 12,000 lbs., $105.00,
X1 category, 12,001 to 18,000 lbs., $170.00.

A truck owner must determine the correct weight potential for his/her vehicle and declare the gross weight of the truck or truck combination at the time of registration. The vehicle tag and tax registration receipt will disclose the owner's declared weight for presentation to law enforcement personnel."

Nowland Farms":7ude8h94 said:
Alabama,

Since last October when I had to buy a weight classification tag for my personal pickup it has chapped my rearend that I had to pay extra for the total weight of the truck, trailer and contents when this was for my personal use. I found the following on the Limeston County AL website last night. This morning I called my local courthouse to confirm and they agreed with the following -
Looks like the tag on my 3/4 chevy will drop from $350 down to around $125 per year.

Ya'll may already be aware of this but, if not ------

"New Law Act 2006-356 Creates Relief For Travel Trailer Owners
Effective July 1, 2006, there will be two different definitions of gross vehicle weight related to pickup trucks.

If a pickup truck is used for personal or agricultural purposes and is not operated for any commercial purposes, then the gross vehicle weight is defined as the empty weight of the truck only. This is the case regardless of whether the pickup truck is used in combination with a personal utility trailer, travel trailer or boat.

Trucks used for commercial purposes will continue to be registered based on the gross weight of the vehicle. Gross weight means the heaviest load to be carried on the vehicle or the vehicle combination.

In 2005, Alabama pickup truck owners were provided a new license plate category that provides additional weight above the standard license plate, yet stays under the 10,001 lb. Federal threshold that requires DOT compliance.

By adding the new P1 license plate category, the most common options for pickup trucks are as follows:

PC category, up to 8,000 lbs., $23.00,
P1 category, 8,001 to 10,000 lbs, $35.00,
XM category, 10,001 to 12,000 lbs., $105.00,
X1 category, 12,001 to 18,000 lbs., $170.00.

A truck owner must determine the correct weight potential for his/her vehicle and declare the gross weight of the truck or truck combination at the time of registration. The vehicle tag and tax registration receipt will disclose the owner's declared weight for presentation to law enforcement personnel."

The thing about this law is that hauling cattle is considered for commercial purposes, Thus it is no help.
I did just find out today that the Governor has put off the implementation of the DOT number thing for another 3 months (until April 1st). They expect by then to have the law changed such that the 10,000 pounds is raised to 28,000 pounds.

Naaaaaah, I'll just tell them that I have the cows loaded in the trailer because I am taking them for a ride to see the scenery since they get bored staying in the pasture all the time. ;-)

You know, before long we are all either gonna hafta become either criminals or attorneys - not that there is any big difference. :(

alabama":2zcsazet said:
I spent most of the day at the Cattlemen's association board meeting today. One of the speakers was an Alabama State trooper talking about this requirement for truck trailer combinations with GVW more that 10,000 pounds. From what I understand there is more to this than meets the eye. He said to start his talk that all we needed to do was apply for a number and post it on our truck and it would not cost us one dime. However, after a heated question and answer session there is more to it than that.
Let me list out what I understand will be required in this following example.

Lets take a pickup truck like a GMC 1500 with a GVW of 6200 pounds pulling a small two axial trailer rated at 3500 pounds per axial or a trailer with 7000-pound GVW. That is a total GVW of 13,200 pounds and over the 10,000 cut off. This could be a 16 foot cattle trailer or a 16 foot utility trailer, which we see every day.
From what I understood, the operator would need the following.

1) Us DOT number displayed on the side of the truck so that it can be read from 50 feet. Along with a Farm name also displayed.
2) A medical card just like the one required for a CDL.
3) A safety inspection for both the truck and trailer.

I personally think there should be a mandatory inspection on trailer. they are on the same roads as the trucks that pull them, and there are a lot that are not road worthy. I believe here in Texas you can get a farm tag for the trailer for 5 bucks and it dont matter what it is or what shape it is in. As for the medical card, that should be for the big boys (18 wheelers) and not for a small pickup with a cattle trailer. You can get a USDOT number free from this website https://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/ ... prc_option just click the boxes that apply. you can get a USDOT number even if you haul for hire, as long as you are hauling exempt items. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/adminrule.pdf

If you get a US DOT number, you will be audited eventually. If you don't have a bunch of stuff on file, you will be fined. Among other things, you will have to have your application for employment on file. If you don't it is a $2000 fine. You will also need a disciplinary policy on file. If you don't it is a $2000 fine.
As for me, I don't want no stinking number. And I will wait as long as I can before I get one.

I talked w/ a DPS officer this morning about regs. on pulling a 40ft gooseneck w/ my truck and he said here in Texas we are not reguired to register w/ the DOT if we are hauling under 48,000 lbs. Truck(farm plates), trailer(farm plates), and cargo(farm related) combined. I will have to get a Class A non-commercial and have to stay within a 150 mile radius of the farm. I have to have the trailer inspected along with the truck and must stop in the weight stations if their open. I don't know if I can pass the paralel parking part of the test :shock: but I sure don't want that +/- $300 ticket either.

Latest posts