Urban Chickens

Help Support CattleToday:

We get that here all the time. The county calls us wanting us to adopt birds as my wife was liscensed to sell eggs for awhile and they just assume that we would love to pay the county for cheap hens. The last time they called I told them I'd be happy to stop by and pop their heads off if they really needed me to... It's been a while since I've heard from them.

You have to have a lic to sell eggs there?
Good Lord--all ya need here is a little cardboard sign on a fencepost..
eggs 4 sale.
What do ya have to do sell a cull cow--have a college degree?

greybeard":18zcjgy3 said:
eggs 4 sale.
that is in the yet to be published regulation of the future.....

careful greybeard they might persecute you as a security leak....

greybeard":2ifvx9uc said:
eggs 4 sale.
you don't...but the cow does..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I read an adoption agreement that one shelter requires you to sign if you adopt a chicken. You could adopt a human child with a smaller commitment. You keep the chicken to the end of its' natural days and you agree to be inspected anytime. Fluff the pillows on the chickens bed before bedtime. That sort of thing.

john250":2qzadu15 said:
I read an adoption agreement that one shelter requires you to sign if you adopt a chicken. You could adopt a human child with a smaller commitment. You keep the chicken to the end of its' natural days and you agree to be inspected anytime. Fluff the pillows on the chickens bed before bedtime. That sort of thing.

I suppose you are required to read them a bed time story too? :lol2:

greybeard":1qvty0sg said:
You do if you want to have liability insurance but I don't think it's state law and it's not enforced if it is. I just added her little farm stand to the rest of the farming/breeding service/cattle company and my insurance agent told me what I needed to do for him to watch my a$$ for me and for the eggs that meant a ten minute egg quality test and about five bucks. :D

chippie":22jjnysa said:
what is the egg quality test?
It's been about eight years so I may be off a little but it was a quick reading lesson in candling and sanitation and then about fifty questions to get the feeling of whether or not I was competent to figure out which eggs were good to sell and which ones weren't.
We candled every egg. You'd be surprised how many "farm fresh" eggs are not legal to sell by usda standards. :nod:

cow pollinater":35jror8h said:
chippie":35jror8h said:
what is the egg quality test?

It's been about eight years so I may be off a little but it was a quick reading lesson in candling and sanitation and then about fifty questions to get the feeling of whether or not I was competent to figure out which eggs were good to sell and which ones weren't.
We candled every egg. You'd be surprised how many "farm fresh" eggs are not legal to sell by usda standards. :nod:

Looks like the yoke might be on both of you. :lol2:

Thanks for the reply. Eggs are a lot of work and time consuming.
I am very careful about handling & follow our state guidelines to a "T".

Latest posts