Chickens

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry said:
Ky hills said:
Well we ventured out to TSC figuring we may need to go ahead and get a few. They were picked through pretty good. I kind of wanted to try some Rhode Island Reds, and also maybe go back with some Black Australorps or Barred Rocks again. They just had 2 Barred Rock pullets left and the RIR were straight run so so I settled on the Barred Rocks and some New Hampshire, and a couple Cuckoo Marans.

These places take orders online:

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/index.a5w

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html

Thanks, I have ordered from Murray McMurray before and the chickens have been good.The problem was with shipping times we almost lost a shipment. They sent them out and it happened to be an Easter Sunday weekend and a post office employee just happened to come in and saw them and called. They were cold and stuck in the box it was like peeling canned biscuits apart from each other. They would have all been dead if he hadn't come in and found them. Then another time after that we had to go back in the part of the post office to pick them up and it's just a awkward thing cause they don't really allow public back there. It's much easier to go to TSC or Rural King even though they don't know a lot of times what they have so who knows what we will end up with.

slick4591 said:
That $10 a dozen is about twice as much more than our organic clean eating people will pay out of the metroplex.

Kids love the blue eggs and pay weird prices. I sell the brown eggs for $5/dozen. I am starting a coop of heritage birds. The dozens will look rainbow. I'm hoping to sell all my eggs at starting this summer at $7/dozen. Customers can pick between brown, rainbow and all blue.

I have dealt with several of the hatcheries over the years. For those of you in Texas and the south, there is Ideal Hatchery in Tx. Have had very good service from them.
Have found out over the years that I only want chicks shipped out on Monday or Tuesday so they will get here before the weekend and they don't get stuck in a mail warehouse or someplace.

If you just want layers, get a composite breed like a sex-link or "comet" or something like that. They will lay like all get out for 2 years then fall off in production. When I was running layers on pasture, I got black sex-links one year, added a red sex-link the next year, and then actually had some that were a golden/tan "sex-link" the third year. It made it easy to know which were the oldest birds to start culling out. The third year they older ones would lay a big jumbo egg which I had some call for. Then they would all get culled for soup/butcher and I would get another batch. I have raised both chicks up and gotten "started pullets" and the started pullets are the way to go if you just want to get started with layers for eggs. They are usually about 16-20 weeks here and will most often be laying within a month or so. We pay an average of $10-15 each but you will start to get eggs right away. It takes an average 20 weeks (5 months) minimum to go from a baby chick to a pullet big enough to start laying and you will have at least the $10 in each one by the time they get that big so it is not like a $10-15 pullet so so terribly expensive.

If you are going for "purebreds" a RIR is always good, but I prefer New Hampshires. They are a little more active than RIR and I think prettier to look at. There are MANY MANY breeds if you are going to do purebreds. They don't lay like the sex-link laying machines, but most lay good for a couple years. Leghorns are naturally the cream of the white egg layers.
Plymouth Rocks come in many colors, not just the barred color. There are whites, buffs, blacks, partridge, columbian, silver penciled. There are wyandottes for those of you that live in colder climates, they have a rose comb. Actually RIR and a few others have rosecombs too, but they are harder to find. Mostly from a purebred breeder. There are Jersey Giants that are really bigger and taller and don't lay quite as good.
I have some Standard Big Black Lanshans, because I like to look at them. They are only average layers and not a very big egg but they are very stately to look at. They have feathers down the outside of their legs. Cochins have feathers on their legs and all their toes too. Look like a big puff ball cushion.
You can go to the American Standard of Perfection and look at different breeds. Or visit a bonafide Poultry show and see the many different kinds of chickens available.

No offense to anyone, but this is way too much thinking for some chickens. Unless you plan to sell eggs for a profit, they'll all work. And they're all about as dumb as a rock. My preferred method these days is to just order a variety pack of chicks. They all lay eggs, some just have better personalities.

We started with 3 red sexlinks. I really think those are the best chickens for your money. Hardy-it gets to -5 and up to 105 here. Very calm, gentle birds. Lay really well, and just a pleasure to be around as far as chickens go.

We now have a flock of many colors b/c my wife and son went and bought a bunch of chicks. I don't prefer the different breeds. I can't remember what they are, but they're not very friendly. I know there's a barred rock and an Easter egger in there. If I had it my way it would be red sexlinks.

We even have one of the red sexlinks that goes after the dog like a guard chicken.

We have Orange Buffs. We got them when we moved here. I rarely get rid of any hens so when I think they might be getting too old or some have died and I need more hens I get a different breed. That way they are color coded for age (difficult to ear tag a chicken). My next batch will be Barred Rocks.

Latest posts