Chickens!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Boot Jack Bulls

Reaction score
My daughter wants to add chickens to her menagerie this spring. I want decent layers, but also clean legged and docile (a mean chicken is a dead chicken). For those of you that are chicken buffs, what breed do you like?

We breed Orpingtons, Cochin Bantams and White Rock bantams. For what you're looking for I'd say Orpingtons. Although these are a little different than hatchery birds.

holm25 said:
We breed Orpingtons, Cochin Bantams and White Rock bantams. For what you're looking for I'd say Orpingtons. Although these are a little different than hatchery birds.
I actually had cochin bantams as a kid and showed them in 4H. They were so quiet and friendly (for a chicken). Given my set-up now, I just want a bigger, clean legged bird. I have always appreciated Orpingtons, so will look into them more. Thanks!

Growing up, we had Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, and Dominickers. But I'm sure these are out of date now. I've got a few game hens and a couple of roosters that roam around and don't bother anything. Just wish they had a designated place to crap besides wherever they want. But it's doesnt cause that much of a problem. Been wanting to add some potrackers to the equation.

DCA farm said:
I've got Rhode Island reds and barred rocks for my eating eggs and a yard full of Gamefowl

Went to an old farmstead right down the road today where they fry catfish every Thursday. Crowd these days is usually around 20 or so. Used to be 50. And on special occasions has reached more than 100. They've been doing it for many many years. I try to go as often as I can. It's literally like going back in time 100 years with the old farmhouse, saw mill, live oaks so big the limbs reach back to the ground, hog lot that still has plain old hogs, etc. It's the real deal. Salt of the earth folks that ain't trying to impress nobody. Anyway, the old man who settled it, who has since left this world, somewhere along the line acquired some jungle fowl. His son, who is probably 60, said they've been there as long as he has. If there is 1, there are 50 roosters and as many hens. They just do as they please and mosey around and they eat fish bones. And I ain't joking. Used cornmeal don't stand a chance. I'm thinking about getting a rooster or two and crossing them with my games. Not sure how that will work out. They are very savvy. As the sun sets, the hens that have biddies will fly up into a live oak, then walk down the limb to where it touches the ground and coax the little ones to climb up and then follow her up to the roost. It's just something you don't see anymore. Pretty cool.

JMJ Farms said:
DCA farm said:
I've got Rhode Island reds and barred rocks for my eating eggs and a yard full of Gamefowl

Went to an old farmstead right down the road today where they fry catfish every Thursday. Crowd these days is usually around 20 or so. Used to be 50. And on special occasions has reached more than 100. They've been doing it for many many years. I try to go as often as I can. It's literally like going back in time 100 years with the old farmhouse, saw mill, live oaks so big the limbs reach back to the ground, hog lot that still has plain old hogs, etc. It's the real deal. Salt of the earth folks that ain't trying to impress nobody. Anyway, the old man who settled it, who has since left this world, somewhere along the line acquired some jungle fowl. His son, who is probably 60, said they've been there as long as he has. If there is 1, there are 50 roosters and as many hens. They just do as they please and mosey around and they eat fish bones. And I ain't joking. Used cornmeal don't stand a chance. I'm thinking about getting a rooster or two and crossing them with my games. Not sure how that will work out. They are very savvy. As the sun sets, the hens that have biddies will fly up into a live oak, then walk down the limb to where it touches the ground and coax the little ones to climb up and then follow her up to the roost. It's just something you don't see anymore. Pretty cool.
The loose Game hens I have help clean up the crap around the barn and clean up around the cow feeders

I like dark hens. It seems like I have less predator problems with them. My guess is that the coyotes think they're crows.
If you cross a splash orphington rooster or a splash maran over australorp hens you get a nice blue chicken every time. I've only done the maran cross once but I do the orphington cross every couple of years and they're nice quiet birds that lay well. I have three orphington roosters now with a dozen hens and they don't even fight each other.

Thanks for the input all! I'm not worried about predators at this point, they will have to be penned anyway. Free range simply means heeler food on our place. It looks like Oprpingtons should be a good fit for what we want.

Next question....Where does everyone get their chickens??? When I was a kid, we ordered from the Murray McMurray hatchery catalog. Do people even do that anymore?

Find a breeder. That's the best way imho. Not someone breeding backyard mutts but someone that puts time and thought into their birds. I am big on supporting breeders before hatcheries. I know a few Orp breeders around the US if you're interested in going that route ;)

[image]https://postimg.cc/fSyvXTmr[/image]
[image]https://postimg.cc/c6khWwNy[/image]
[image]https://postimg.cc/4nxPjwqQ[/image]
[image]https://postimg.cc/GH9MTzjm[/image]

Some of our show Orps...

Boot Jack Bulls said:
Next question....Where does everyone get their chickens??? When I was a kid, we ordered from the Murray McMurray hatchery catalog. Do people even do that anymore?
I got my last batch from meyer hatchery. I've bought a lot of birds from McMurrays but I was really happy with meyers. If I ever order more birds they would be my go to.

We have half a dozen of the Buff Oprpingtons. They produce more eggs than the two of us can eat even this time of the year. The hens are real docile. The rooster needs a little tune up on occasions.

I've tried quite a few breeds over the years and the ones mentioned are good along with leghorns. A breed no one seems to use these days but I find brilliant in all aspects are barnevelders. Really nice dark eggs too.

Wait a second! We have Golden Sex Link hens. No one has mentioned them yet. We hand raised them as chicks and they are wonderful. If they're out (more than likely b/c my wife......) you can yell "CHICKENS!!!!" and they come running like little dinosaurs. I really like them. Their eggs are large, and sell easily. I sell enough dozens to feed them through the year, so it works. My only gripe with them is that they are a bit too docile so if you're digging in the dirt they're helping looking for worms and bugs.

There are as many breeds as there are needs. Does your daughter want to show? If so, find a purebred breeder and get started with birds that will fit the Standard of Perfection guidelines so she will be able to raise "showable" birds. If you want strictly layers, get one of the "sex-link" breeds that are more for eggs. There are several colors and such. All are cleanlegged. Most all are pretty docile towards people, and lay like all get out.
TSC here carries chicks from Meyers Hatchery. They are a pretty good hatchery. I have dealt with Ideal Hatchery in TX and they are very good too. Realize that many of the breeds you get from bigger hatcheries are more commercial and they may not meet the standards for show chickens.
I personally like Langshans, but they are feather-legged and not the greatest egg producers. I like their stature. I also have New Hampshires and find that their temperments are better than some of the other breeds. They lay good and are pretty to look at and hardy. Plymouth Rocks come in a multitude of colors not just the "barred" color pattern. They are good dispositioned overall. Orpingtons are normally very docile, but I haven't found them to be the best egg layers. Could have been the stock I had.
Leghorns are good layers, WHITE EGGS, and if raised up from chicks will not be too flighty. Some pretty colors in them also.
Wyandottes are nice, and they have a rose comb which will be less likely to freeze in the colder weather. They come in some nice color patterns too and lay pretty good.
If she is interested in anything remotely for show as well as eggs, find a poultry show nearby and go look at different breeds. Bantams lay pretty good too and are easier for a kid to handle.

If you want real dark brown eggs, go with Welsummers, marans, barnevelders and such. If you want "blue eggs" go with Americaunas or "easter eggers" that are a mix but will lay blue/green/olive eggs.

Latest posts