? About adding new chickens

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
I have 17 hens that were a year old in April, and inherited some baby chickens about Easter this spring. I have introduced younger chickens before, and they were fought for a while, but eventually seemed to get along. I have also heard that sometimes they don't stop fighting the new ones. I am wondering if being that the pullets are starting to lay if they will be fought as much?

Ky hills":2hroy3hp said:
I have 17 hens that were a year old in April, and inherited some baby chickens about Easter this spring. I have introduced younger chickens before, and they were fought for a while, but eventually seemed to get along. I have also heard that sometimes they don't stop fighting the new ones. I am wondering if being that the pullets are starting to lay if they will be fought as much?

I recently got started in chickens this year and mine are starting to lay but I asked a guy that raises chickens and he told me if they are in close confinement they fight more but free range they fight less. I don't know if its true or not.

skyhightree1":207wzt0c said:
Ky hills":207wzt0c said:

I recently got started in chickens this year and mine are starting to lay but I asked a guy that raises chickens and he told me if they are in close confinement they fight more but free range they fight less. I don't know if its true or not.

That sounds logical, mine are confined, but do have a small lot and a coop.

What others have said. Set the new ones on the roost with the older ones after dark, and give them plenty of room.

skyhightree1":guk2ytit said:

Whenever I introduce pullets to the flock I do it by way of free range. The pullets are faster than the hens and can get away. This will last a while until they are finally accepted into the flock. I've never had good success introducing them in close confinement.

Latest posts