Update on Mr. Hatchett Butt

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
I have a brangus bull which has become legendary because of his rear end, or lack there of. He went straight from his mid-section to his feet.

I bought him as a yearling and he looked good then, but kind of went downhill. Here are some recent pic's of the now 2 year 3 month old Mr. Hatchett Butt.

I'm interested in everyone's opinions.

hatchett2.jpg

hatchett1.jpg

I thought that bull had a white face or was that another post. If not, he looks good.

I may be prejudiced by my earlier statements; but he still looks lacking to me despite the fact that the forage there is super rich and abundant.

In all fairness to Mr. Hatchett, I caught him after riding some heifers that he's with and in the pic's he's relieving himself.

He does not have a clean sheath, no doubt, but his rear is filling in some. I have a bull calf sired by him at my place, that I need to put pic's up of. You can always judge a bull by what they throw on the ground; I'll let everyone judge what he put on the ground.

Whoops, TTCLM, here's a "before" pic taken during the past winter:

hatchettbutt.jpg

He's filling out in the butt, looks a lot better than he did when you posted the last pics of him, but has gained a biunch of wt too.

we use to have a santa gertrudis stud producing 30-50 bulls a year , we use to cull bullcalves with shealths like that, looks like he has ahernia of the stomach ,where his sheath is.

I had never saw him before, just heard lots of remarks about him in different post, mostly in jest. I was expecting a lot worse looking bull than what he looks like now. He might not be a great bull but he is lots better than a bunch of those posted in the last month or so.

aplusmnt":1sy1vtmd said:
I had never saw him before, just heard lots of remarks about him in different post, mostly in jest. I was expecting a lot worse looking bull than what he looks like now. He might not be a great bull but he is lots better than a bunch of those posted in the last month or so.

Aplus, I've made fun of him also. For someone to post pics of a bull, they have to be thick skinned, because everyone can (and sometimes will) take potshots. That's o.k. by me. There are certain people on the boards that I consider friends, and value their advice. People always need to consider what breed they are looking at first, then evaluate from there. Then consider what cows the bull will be used with. I think a lot of people just judge any bull (breed) against a perfect bull they may have in their mind. Well, I don't need perfect, it's too expensive ;-)

With hatchett butt, I was ready to sell him at ~ 16 or 18 months because he didn't look as good as I would have liked. His Epd's are good, though, he's a heifer bull with a low birth weight and decent ww and yw and m. My dad wouldn't let me sell him, and took him to his place. He told me "boy, that bull is just growing, you don't know what you have there". He is filling out nice now at my dad's place, and I expect him to continue to imrpove somewhat.

I don't think he's that bad either.. I've seen worse, and on this Board! But he does have too much navel / sheath. The plague of Brahman influenced cattle.

TheBullLady":1dflibsb said:
I don't think he's that bad either.. I've seen worse, and on this Board! But he does have too much navel / sheath. The plague of Brahman influenced cattle.

Of course some of the bulls we have seen on this board have really stretched our definition of "that bad" too. IF Cypress and everybody else would just not use their bulls until they were at least two years of age, would feed them a scientifically balanced ration of grains fortified with all the essential vitamins and minerals twice a day every day from the time they were 80 days old, provide clean shelter for them in all sorts of bad weather (perferably with environmental controls), and hire a team of midwestern college age kids to give them daily baths and weekly hair cuts, then all the bulls would be on the exact same plane of management and it would be EASY to identify their true genetic strengths and weaknesses. Until then this is really a guessing game.

TheBullLady":3tkli5t3 said:
you know bull lady although this problem comes from brahman influence its not a plague. most pure brahman are cleaner underneath than the cross bred. ive seen 1/4 brahman influence in cattle and the only tell tell sign was excessive sheath or navel i blame it on the breeders for stacking sheaths and poor managers

Cypress you have him lookin better he is still not what I consider a herd bull. He is still narrow butted thats pounds,I hate the sheath on him and I am not crazy about his topline either. But this is all from a picture.

Caustic Burno":xdxsf7bx said:
Cypress you have him lookin better he is still not what I consider a herd bull. He is still narrow butted thats pounds,I hate the sheath on him and I am not crazy about his topline either. But this is all from a picture.

I guess it depends on your definition of a good herd bull. I don't like his sheath either, but my dad is using him to breed to heifers. I have two calves sired by him already on the ground and they look o.k. Nothing to brag about, but decent calves. The last several years my dad has been buying young heifers, growing them out, culling them hard and breeding them to a bull and selling them as bred heifers - some already have calves at their side. His main priority is to breed to a bull that will not have any calving problems, and he has repeat customers. His reputation is everything. This bull may be good for him in that he got it for free from me and it fits the bill for what he needs.

Latest posts