Update on Mr. Hatchett Butt

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm2":3vji7mqk said:
TheBullLady":3vji7mqk said:
I don't think he's that bad either.. I've seen worse, and on this Board! But he does have too much navel / sheath. The plague of Brahman influenced cattle.

Of course some of the bulls we have seen on this board have really stretched our definition of "that bad" too. IF Cypress and everybody else would just not use their bulls until they were at least two years of age, would feed them a scientifically balanced ration of grains fortified with all the essential vitamins and minerals twice a day every day from the time they were 80 days old, provide clean shelter for them in all sorts of bad weather (perferably with environmental controls), and hire a team of midwestern college age kids to give them daily baths and weekly hair cuts, then all the bulls would be on the exact same plane of management and it would be EASY to identify their true genetic strengths and weaknesses. Until then this is really a guessing game.
Gosh, Brandon, I was going right along with you :roll: until you got to the 'environmental controls' :lol: - and then I said. "That's a little much!" ;-) :lol: but you are right - with the number of genes in the Double Helix - it IS somewhat of a guessing game.

DOC HARRIS

I am glad somebody got the humor Doc. In the cow business somebody is ALWAYS showing you a herd bull or a herd bull prospect or a calf who MIGHT make a herd bull prospect. On this board though, one minute we are looking at a crossbred 17 month old bull calf who somebody forgot to steer and who hasn't seen a range cube or an inch of rain in six months and the next minute somebody is showing us some pampered past national champion's $500 glamour photos and we get everything in between.

cypressfarms":18h07sck said:
Caustic Burno":18h07sck said:
Cypress you have him lookin better he is still not what I consider a herd bull. He is still narrow butted thats pounds,I hate the sheath on him and I am not crazy about his topline either. But this is all from a picture.

I guess it depends on your definition of a good herd bull. I don't like his sheath either, but my dad is using him to breed to heifers. I have two calves sired by him already on the ground and they look o.k. Nothing to brag about, but decent calves. The last several years my dad has been buying young heifers, growing them out, culling them hard and breeding them to a bull and selling them as bred heifers - some already have calves at their side. His main priority is to breed to a bull that will not have any calving problems, and he has repeat customers. His reputation is everything. This bull may be good for him in that he got it for free from me and it fits the bill for what he needs.

Well as DOC has said on here and I total agree with a good bull is half your herd a bad one your entire herd. Why settle for second or third place with the bull when usually a couple hundred more and a little shopping puts a quality animal in your pasture . Now you have something paying returns at the salebarn and in anything you retain improvement all the way around, when the next bull you buy can improve on that.

Caustic Burno":928nfa1o said:
Well as DOC has said on here and I total agree with a good bull is half your herd a bad one your entire herd. Why settle for second or third place with the bull when usually a couple hundred more and a little shopping puts a quality animal in your pasture . Now you have something paying returns at the salebarn and in anything you retain improvement all the way around, when the next bull you buy can improve on that.

Good point Caustic. I agree with you; that's why this bull is not breeding any of my cows this year. That's why I searched so hard for an angus plus bull over the winter.

Turnmyjawloosemaw":33ocqnni said:
I think the best thing for that it looks is to have a vet out to euthanize it.

Turn my jaw loose?

Looks like a pic that someone put up as an avatar one time (ollie) ;-)

euthanize? You sure it wouldn't be cheaper to just put a 45-70 hole in his head? :lol:

Latest posts