Update On Calves (Pictures, Please comment)

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirlxupx1034

Reaction score
Wow, it's been a really long time since I've last been on here!

Bear is doing really well, he was wild for a while since he got sick in October and we had to give him 3 shots and we had to take his rectal tempeture 2 to 3 times a day. Now he's much better and I've been started brushing on him with the curry comb. He doesn't really like hay, but his trough is always full of hay. His ration of feed is 10 pounds of corn, 5 pounds of C.O.B (corn, oats and barley), and 1 pound of supplement per day. We're thinking he weighs some where between 700-850 but we won't know until the weigh in next month. He's an Angus and Maine-Anjou cross.
Heres some background info on him for those who didn't see the orginal post in october.
I bought him from the Humbles in Fort Pierre, SD. He weighed 565 when I got him and he was 7 months old in October.

bearlegcuttoffonlyleg.jpg

bearbutt-1.jpg

bearside.jpg

bearback.jpg

bearhead.jpg

Annie, my sister's calf weighs 595, we weighed her up at the local feedlot before coming home. She was an orphan. She's an Angus Simmental cross. Her ration is 6 lbs of corn per day, 3 pounds of COB per day and 1/2 pound of supplement per day to start out with.
annieside.jpg

anniehead.jpg

annieback.jpg

anniefront.jpg

Once it gets warmer we're planning on building a lean-to agianst our chicken-coop barn or buying a inner drum of a large round baler and dividing that for the stocker feeders and calves. In there we'll be hanging a 30" fan with 10" in there for the calves and a 24" fan in there for the stocker feeders , so we can tie them up underneath the fans and so they can lie in there when they're not tied. We're also thinking about putting up some metal pipe to tie the calves up to wash them outside of the pen, like a wash-rack. My sister and I both are planning to get stocker-feeders to show at fair and then fair '09. If we get heifers we'll AI them and show their calf. We're planning to get sheep agian, and rabbits and possibly pigs =].

The pictures don't really give the calves justice, but go ahead and tell me what you think of them! :cboy:

Ah, now I see the photos of him, I remember. Now you've got me all interested to see how he turned out :)

Good on you, sounds like you are keen and have a plan, and when you are keen and have a plan things will get done.

Your steer seems fairly moderatly muscled. Seems to me that he has somewhat of a weak topline. Pictures aren't that great so it is hard to tell. The other steer seems a bit too small. He needs a bit more width. Needs the feed poured to him. Again...better pictures and it would be easier to tell what they look like :D

The pictures are poor. Try to get one side view with the whole calf in the picture. One rear view would be good too.
The steer is okay. Weak topped but easy enough feeding.
The heifer is very poor right now. She needs a good wormer, a magnet, and lots of feed. I wouldn't show her until she's gained a lot of weight. Under all the hair she is a bone rack.

dlwardell":9k244k8h said:
"A magnet" ??? whats that for??
Hardware, when a cow eats metal. She is skinny and kind of hunched up, an indication of hardware. Most dairies automatically put one in the cows because of all the ground feed they get.

Latest posts