update on calf... w/pic

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
You folks asked for an update, so I'll give it...

bullcalf2.jpg
bullcalf1.jpg

The night I brought him home - couldn't even get him up

crookedcalfie.JPG

This afternoon - at least he's standing - still pretty pathetic

Not sure there's a lot of improvement, but he still wants to live and so I'll let him. I can take his head and turn it around to the right so it touches his hip, but by himself he doesn't quite have the muscle to go that far. He can turn it past 'just straight' but not much further.

Anyways...he's a freebie and I've only put about $20 of milk replacer into him, so I'll mess around with him a little longer. I still think he can get better, but it's going to take a lot more time than I'd originally thought it would. If I had him offered to me again...I prolly wouldn't take him. LOL. Now, though...I just don't like giving up. :lol:

milkmaid
You're something else girl. Not even knowing you I have to be proud of you.

Milkmaid, I don't want to scare you but I had one with similar symptoms once. It turned out to be a BVDV- P.I. calf.

I wouldn't let him get around any pregnant females until I had him tested if I were you.

A calf in that condition to begin with and even standing now is accomplishment in itself. You have a lot more patients than I. If anyone can pull it through it would be you.

That is wonderful! I raise Holstein calves and I think you are doing a great job.

i looked like that the other morning when i woke up. dont know what i did to throw my neck out of whack..

MikeC":pbyb8hl2 said:
Milkmaid, I don't want to scare you but I had one with similar symptoms once. It turned out to be a BVDV- P.I. calf.

I'll keep it in mind, M - but I think this one's problem is just that he was a big calf inside of a small, fat cow. I know which cow he's out of, and I recall thinking when she was close to calving that "she's either got a set of twins in there or one really BIG bull calf". I think he just got cramped inside and couldn't move.

He's out in the backyard under the willow tree; not even near any steers, let alone cows. LOL.

However, if, out of curiousity, I were to have him checked, how would one go about doing it? is it just a blood test at the vet clinic?

Hey MM... remember our little PM chat????/ don't spend money unless you have too........if he does not look sick... or feel sick or run a fever...... he is likely ok.......other then the gross deformaties that are apparent. your doing a great job.... keep up the good work!

By the way........we do have extra room here if you ever want to move east to volunteer.....er....I mean work. ;-)

Latest posts