Update On "Bez's Cow"

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Just thought some might be interested in a final update on this pair.

Calf born 01 June 2005 - weight - 82 pounds - scale weighed. I had to look hard for that - the last weight I mentioned was an estimate - if indeed I did mention it at all - Wife had it written and hidden in the drawer by the kitchen sink - the one that she keeps the towels in!!

Calf sold today at auction - 24 October - scale weighed:

476 pounds.

Managed to squeak out $1.15 Canuck per pound for him at the sale - we did not castrate or dehorn.

Average daily weight gain somewhere in the 2.6 pound range. No creep, just grass and milk.

Mom goes to the pasture in the sky on Wednesday. She does not make the final cut. We ship a bunch of culls and slaughter cows that morning - managed to find a place to take them at 25 - 27 cents a pound.

Despite owning - at least now - only a few HH - this is fairly representative of the type of herd performance that roamed our place.

Best to all,

Bez'

i have sold 6 cull cows this year, none brought under 50 cents a pound even old cows. in arkansas

jcarkie":1th7haxv said:
i have sold 6 cull cows this year, none brought under 50 cents a pound even old cows. in arkansas

Good on ya'.

Living north of the 49'th, everything that I call cull - all were bred back - went to slaughter and none hit 30 cents.

Stuff happens.

Bez'

Very nice calf, I didn't think that cow was that ugly but would probably done the same thing as you and culled her.

P.S. My heifer with the horns has came along nicely took weights off will try and get pic posted in near future thanks to you and S.F. her horns look pretty good thanks for all your help could not have done it with out both of you telling me how and sending me pics and info. THANKS JHH

Hate you could only get 25 cents, we got about 52 cents on some of our old nannys. Best of luck.

Latest posts