Unsolicited "expert" advice

Help Support CattleToday:

USMCRanchGirl":1jh6epxf said:
Arnold Ziffle":1jh6epxf said:
Karin, thanks for starting what has been a fun thread to read. I haven't read all of it, but just in case it has not been mentioned, keep in mind that the older and larger the calves are when you band, the more it is advisable to give them tetanus toxoid shots (a while before banding or at the time of, and then a while afterwards).

Thank you. That is something I have been thinking about. Their weight, combined with the heat, would be the main factors to consider the most in whether to administer the shot, correct? I generally don't like to give anything unless it's really necessary, but is there any harm in giving tetanus regardless of timing just to be on the safe side? We're banding this weekend and it's supposed to be 90 and dry.

Here, when any calf is banded it is given a tetanus shot. It's just done as a matter of course.

Alice

USMCRanchGirl":8g34tuc4 said:
dun":8g34tuc4 said:
Victoria":8g34tuc4 said:
They are still allowing the knife and bardizzos (sp?) for now although the goal is to make castration done under anesthetic only.

I htought it was already required in the EU. Got that impression a couple of years ago. Maybe they were just trying to get it made the law at the time.

This is what I found:

In the United Kingdom, regulations require that animals older than two months be castrated by a veterinarian, using local anesthesia. Use of the Burdizzo clamp has been the most common approach in the United Kingdom, followed by surgical castration, then application of rubber rings. By law an anaesthetic must be used when calves older than one week are castrated by the rubber ring method.

In contrast, use of elastrator rings is common in New Zealand, and application of the Burdizzo clamp is not. Anesthesia and analgesia are mandated for castration in Northern Europe. Castration of male calves and small ruminants is not allowed in Switzerland without anesthesia, and use of rubber rings is prohibited.

Interesting.

Thanks for the info. Guess I was reading an older article. :oops:

I have banded them much larger than the ones shown in your picture and had them go right to the feed trough when released. I never give shots when I band and have never lost a banded calf.

Latest posts