Uno Mas Calf - only 70 lbs

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
This is a Fire Sweep Heifer I bought bred this spring under the Kentucky Cost Share Program. I bought two heifers from Fire Sweep. The other heifer is due with an embryo transfer calf on 10/20/2016.

Sire: Uno Mas
Dam: FSSR Summer Abby
DOB: 9/27/2016
278 days post AI
Heifer
70 pounds
Unassisted

28le7mp.jpg

Pictures taken this evening. The white face calf is an Optimizer Bull Calf.

6g96xd.jpg

17su9z.jpg

15qyjih.jpg

jv253c.jpg

2j5ys1e.jpg

vpxlyg.jpg

Always a relief when heifers calve unasssisted. Cows and calves are looking good. Pastures look like they are holding up really well too.

True Grit Farms":32yzeeyi said:
Why is the calf only 70 lbs? That's what I'd expect here but it's nowhere near your adverage. Myself I question anything out of the normal.

The Uno Mas calves are fairly small. I have seen several at Fire Sweep. They have been small.

I have had 3 Uno Mas calves born here.

He is great CE but so far out of the calves both I and Fire Sweep has put on the ground, they are not going to be leaders in growth. I have one here that I think is the best one between Fire Sweep and here. I am keeping her, Reina. Kris and our UK agent both think she is a keeper.

TennesseeTuxedo":18gbcrcv said:
I like them in the 70's.

TT, I don't mind having the calves in the 80s and low 90s. They usually are stout and have good bone. As long as I can keep them under a 100.

Margonme":kve5xezj said:
TennesseeTuxedo":kve5xezj said:
I like them in the 70's.

TT, I don't mind having the calves in the 80s and low 90s. They usually are stout and have good bone. As long as I can keep them under a 100.

I know you do, heck we might have some that big as well but since we don't weigh them I can't confirm.

TennesseeTuxedo":1ivcc5yj said:
Margonme":1ivcc5yj said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1ivcc5yj said:
I like them in the 70's.

I know you do, heck we might have some that big as well but since we don't weigh them I can't confirm.

I think a lot of people do. They just don't weigh them!!!

Margonme":2k5alday said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2k5alday said:
Margonme":2k5alday said:

When I see your pics with known weights and reflect back to ours I truly wonder.

TennesseeTuxedo":2lykqji4 said:
Margonme":2lykqji4 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2lykqji4 said:

When I see your pics with known weights and reflect back to ours I truly wonder.

I has a system. I use a bathroom scales. In fact, today I plan to get a digital bathroom scales. I weigh them right where they are born. CAUTION: My cows are pets. I can walk up. Assess her mood and 99 out of 100 times pick her calf up and she acts like I am not there. Only if the calf makes a sound do my mommas get nervous. Remember. Over half my cows are halter broke and I know them! I think getting field weights could be difficult under some circumstances with cows that are not handled as much as mine are.

They all look good. I think I may try Optimizer on a couple this fall. I would much rather my heifers spit out a 60-70# calf than having to pull a bigger one much less stress on me and the heifer.

Latest posts