Understanding EPDs

Help Support CattleToday:

The EPD system rewards outcross genetics with ever increasing values giving the illusion of progress.

The only reason I gave out the numbers of CED and BW was to give some info on the bull himself. I bought this bull as a low BW bull from the neighbor . As far as realsville that what this board should be about . Help for those that are learning . rj

Did the neighbor pull a fast one on you?
I'd say you'll be fine. I've bred many heifers to one of our angus bulls that has a CE of 5 and have never had a problem. Just don't overfeed them and try to check them a few times a day whenever they look close

Make sure you are using the best minerals for your environment too, as well as what was said about feed and exercise and they should be fine . I would keep a close eye on them though so that if the calf is a little large for them and they get pooped out too soon you can assist them .

Please advise on the feeding part. I've read where heifers should be feed because their still growing themselves . The heifers are a body condition of 5 to 6 . Ive been feeding a grain mix of corn, soyhull pellets, and corn glutten 30% each . around 4 lb. with free choice grass hay . I'm planning to seprate the heifers from the rest of the cows this week . What recommendation on how to feed these heifers from here on out. thanks rj

EPDs do carry some weight; especially concerning birth weight. However, having dealt with many heifers over the past years, I would say the pelvic size of the heifer is the most important. I try not to keep any heifer that has a plevic measurement under 200. This way it doesn't matter what she is breed to. Unless the calf is turned wrong, or the heifer is up against something, the birth will be a live birth.

Up date on calving . We have had three heifers calve unassisted with three nice heifer calves . Still waiting on the forth . She is the smallest of the four. Hoping she get along as well as the others. rj

I agree with Bez as well... The numbers are a good guide, but not the law. I also work hard on having cows that can deliver anything that can be thrown at them... About 4 years ago, the average BW of the herd jumped by about 15 lbs and stayed that way.. have no idea why as the bull was the same as before, and even with the following bull the BW's stayed up. I visited a neighbour across the river from us and was shocked to see these tiny little calves after having gotten used to ours. The birthweights on my bull calves this year has been 90, 100, 2x 110, and 2x 130, my second calvers both had heifers calves at 80 and 90 lbs, and despite checking on them regularly I haven't caught one of them in the act yet. So while the numbers we have may scare some people I see no reason for it.
I also think that BW is only a small part of the calving equation... We've always selected bulls with no protruding eyebrows, narrow heads, long bodies and long noses. It's pretty simple to see that a 100 lb calf shaped like a wet noodle will not be an issue, but a shorter one of the same weight has to be wider, which is the problem.

Good to hear that at least 3 of 4 of your heifers have done well

Latest posts