Uncle p'd me off!

Help Support CattleToday:

Can't remember the acreage on the old farm at the moment but it's running 43 momma's right now. Everybody does a little to help. Most is the key word but there is always some potholes, pretty much they will be smoothed out and forgotten sooner or later.
Dad and I went and got a Holstein calf from some of the new Amish neighbors and we'll she if we have any luck grafting him on her. The Amish Fella was nice enough that he said he would take the calf back if we don't have any luck with her taking it.

Cow broke out the pen she was in. Should of had her in the stronger taller working pen but didn't figure she try to get out. She's never got out anywhere before. Therefore didn't get a chance to start the calf on the cow since she got across the road to the other side of the farm where there is no facility. So just took calf back to the dairy.

An idea for splitting up the farm...

Get the three brothers to agree on the most common sense way to divide the property into at least three pieces; they don't need to be the same size. Ideally there would be 4-10 parcels of different sizes.

Get two different appraisals of all parcels.

Average the value of the appraisals for each parcel.

Add up the total value, and divide it by three. That's the amount each brother had to bid with to buy the parcel or parcels they want. If they bid more than this, there is a good chance they'll need to bring money to closing.

Allow each brother to submit sealed bids for each parcel they're interested in, using their 1/3 of the total average appraised value as currency.

Once it's determined who the top two bidders are on each parcel, tell each brother the dollar amounts of the top two bids for each parcel.

If a brother isn't one of the top two bidders on a particular parsel after the sealed bids, they're out on that parcel.

Then allow the top two bidders for the parcel getting the highest bids in the sealed bid portion bid back and forth in fixed increments until there is one buyer.

Then go to the next parcel until done.

Once all parcels are sold, add up the amounts, divide by three and figure out which brothers are paying money and which brother are receiving money.

If the brother or brothers who are paying don't pay within ___ days, the 2nd highest bidding brother for the highest priced parcel the paying brother bought but didn't path for now has the option to take the parcel at their last bid price.

Etc.

Good luck.

WC, Thanks for the idea may be used one of these days.
Moving on from this last bad calving situation to hopefully 4 successful ones. Got 4 about to pop, figure I'd find a newby this morning but not yet. Trying to watch them like a hawk can't tell whom is ahead of whom. Seems the more careful eye you give the longer they carry, and then take a day off or look away and its delivery time. Just need another feel good moment, that and I'm anxious to see more of the "3/4 Simmy, 1/8 Black Angus, 1/8 Horn Hereford", Vegas calves to get a better feel for what type of calf he's gonna sire. He's sired 4 so far. 2 heifers and 2 bulls, 2 solid black, and 2 black and white. Waiting on some of the red cows to calf to him and some carrying the horn gene to see how they come out. Anyway I hope to post some Vegas calves on the calf thread soon. At the moment just 2 on the farm. Sold one as a pair to another simmy breeder, and one has drowned. I've liked the ones we've gotten so far. You all have a Good Day and a Happy Independence Day tomorrow.
Mike

Latest posts