Off grid setups

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
For any of you that may be partially or totally off grid what are some of the big things to look for? What are the major limitations or inconveniences?

I am looking into some possible properties and in the area I am looking there are a lot that are off or partially off grid. Most have solar and a backup generator with propane to cook etc. These would be fairly high up mountain properties if that makes a difference. Looking to run a 2-3 bed 1-2 bath house with 3 people. Thanks for any input you may have.

Yeah I think so. I know a few of the Canadians are too. Hope fully they will chime in.

I trust all involved are on board. There is a big difference in carrying a tomahawk on a daily basis and
just feeling good about being able to pee in your own yard. I'll just wait here until we learn if you are going
Ben Lilley or Jeremiah Johnson on us or just moving out to the end of the mail route.
Anyway check in before you check out. I have always appreciated your input on the different subjects discussed on
these pages. LVR

Find somebody to pay your taxes for you. Don't be surprised if you are not highly welcomed in your new community. It is a noble effort but there are reasons that folks, historically, have chosen progress and the track record of many who have tried in recent times is not a long one.

More of an end of the mail route sort of thing. My better half is not one to rough it past a certain point hence my questions. These places seem just like a modern houses just not plugged in to the main circuit. Curious as to how close they are. It is interesting how many of them there are. It is probably close to 20% of the houses in this area. This is not living out in the bushes like you would think.

A lot of Amish around here live pretty much off the grid. I have one neighbor that was raised Amish, but left to go on his on. He showed me through his home which is four stories and totally off the grid. He has a diesel generator, propane and solar panels with battery storage. The guy is and excellent carpenter and seems to have the off the grid thing down. KT will be familiar with him as he has property that joins him on the back side. His white 4 story house and going through it is something to see as he also installed an elevator.

I wouldn't want to have to live off the grid, but I believe I could adjust as it is a life style.

Last edited:
Yes, I have been totally off grid for 15 years now and live like anyone else except I don't have power outages when problems occur. I really like it. If the lights go out it is my problem, I get it sorted and will usually have something working within a few minutes.
I have a modest system with lithium iron batteries which basically run two households ( the main house and my daughters tiny house in the back of my garage. We don't skimp on power useage just run like a normal household. My system will give power for about 24 hrs. I have recently put in a 10 kva diesel generator which will charge my batteries and boost my solar hot water when required. I don't hesitate to use it when required. If it has been an exceptionally gloomy day and little has gone into the batteries by lunchtime I will turn it on and within about 3 hrs the batteries will come up from say 50% to 100%. Some people have hangups about running a generator, I don't.
A neighbour recently built a new house and put in a massive system of batteries and solar array, thought he would never need to start a generator but the run of very gloomy weather we had in early winter had him pulling it out but he couldn't use it because the generator and his system both had earth/neutral links and the earth leakage would throw out as soon as he switched it on, just was not set up right so they were miserable skimping on power for a couple of days.
All my power goes through a Victron Connect Inverter/solar charge controller/battery charger. I think Victron stuff is pretty good and worth looking into. It has bluetooth monitoring and programming if you are up to that but settings can also be changed manually with dip switches which is more my cup of tea. I also have online monitoring of my system where it goes through my router to Victron and I log into on my laptop in the comfort of my lounge and can see the state of charge of my batteries and what is going in and out.
You just have to decide what your expectations are and spend accordingly. In my opinion you don't need massive battery banks. A good array of modern panels will get your batteries back up in a couple of hours of a morning.
I've waffled on a bit too much already Smokin, I would be happy to answer any questions you have.
Ken
PS my wife bought a very nice unit about the size of what I run the house on for her stable block. The batteries, inverter, charge controller and battery charger from a generator are nicely housed in a steel unit and well set up, all we had to do was put panels on the roof and plug into the unit and earth it and good to go. They are made by an Australian company but are worth looking up on line https://redearth.energy/
The Black Max is the one Pam has but they go up in size from there. They may even be available in the US but anyhow they will show you the possibilities of these ready made systems.

A lot of Amish around here live pretty much off the grid. I have one neighbor that was raised Amish, but left to go on his on. He showed me through his home which is four stories and totally off the grid. He has a diesel generator, propane and solar panels with battery storage. The guy is and excellent carpenter and seems to have the off the grid thing down. KT will be familiar with him as he has property that joins him on the back side. His white 4 story house and going through it is something to see as he also installed an elevator.

I wouldn't want to have to live off the grid, but I believe I could adjust as it is a life style.
As I understand it, the reason the Amish don't drive cars or use electricity is because doing so would be "prideful". What has always confused me is no electricity, but they can have an elaborate set-up like you describe.

How does it pencil out? And for how many years? Is there a support/repair person/company within reach?
This is not a conversion for existing house or a money saving move. We are giving some consideration to a different climate and location and several of the places we have found in the area are off grid with systems in place. More trying to find out limitations and things to look for as critical parts of the system.

My farm house has an off the grid water system.. 3000 gallon tank hooked to the gutters. The hunters use it as their hunting lodge. Has a tankless water heater, basically all electric.

Smokin, you have described the situation pretty much like it is here. I am only about 14 km from town but down the end of a 3km gravel road and back onto the hills of our state border which gives the sense of remoteness but isn't really. When I moved here there were only 3 other houses on the road but another 4 have been built since. With modern off grid power systems a home can be set up and lived in with no inconvenience whatsoever. Power is available about 3 km away and if all of us pooled our resources to have it brought in it would be expensive but manageable however not one of us residents would want to change our situation.
In deciding the size of your system just ask your young lady if she wants to use a hairdrier. My neighbour with the big system has a couple of aircon systems which are no problem for him to use when the sun is out in summer.

Ken

Smokin, you have described the situation pretty much like it is here. I am only about 14 km from town but down the end of a 3km gravel road and back onto the hills of our state border which gives the sense of remoteness but isn't really. When I moved here there were only 3 other houses on the road but another 4 have been built since. With modern off grid power systems a home can be set up and lived in with no inconvenience whatsoever. Power is available about 3 km away and if all of us pooled our resources to have it brought in it would be expensive but manageable however not one of us residents would want to change our situation.
In deciding the size of your system just ask your young lady if she wants to use a hairdrier. My neighbour with the big system has a couple of aircon systems which are no problem for him to use when the sun is out in summer.

Ken
Thanks so much for your feedback. Most of these places are just that, a couple miles of rough country from the last power pole. Not needing anything to extensive but she want the basics. Lights, water especially hot water, and a refrigerator. If I can keep her in hot showers, cold food and lights at the flick of a switch I will be ok. She has been basically passing over some places that closely fit the bill of what we are looking for because of the power issue. I am sure if we get further into it I will have a lot more specific questions. Mostly just trying to get a feel for the limitations so we know what we need to avoid. Thanks again!

Latest posts