Unborn calf development

Help Support CattleToday:

Interesting question, but I think there would just be way to many variables as to the content or quality of each.

Tall Timber":3djuqp66 said:
Any new studies on unborn calf development in fed heffers/cows vs hay

I do know that heifers on too much corn have calves that get way too big and have calving problems. Corn is for animals being finished for processing only. BTDT.

Jim

Tall Timber":10ie2lr0 said:
Any new studies on unborn calf development in fed heffers/cows vs hay
Somewhere I read the genetic development of the unborn calf can be helped or hindered depending on the feed ration of the heifer/cow.
We feed our heifers as they are still growing while trying to "grow" a calf as well. It is not straight corn however, a ration of high fiber not high energy feed.
Valerie

Some things I do know, growing heifers and second calvers need more nutrition than say older cows. If at all possible these animals should be fed separately. That said though, the last trimester is hard on all animals and that is when the feed ration needs to be the best. It helps the thrifty ness of the calves, improves colostrum and strengthens the dam to get her through to breeding back on time.
The other thing i have learned is, over feeding calves post weaning until breeding shortens the life span of the heifers. They end up putting more into themselves than the calves they raise and end up getting shipped out due to not being productive.

Latest posts