un Plugging a Disc bine

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Managed to plug a disc bine with lodged reed canary tonight. Bottom roller wrapped up enough hay to stall the tractor...
Any better way to clean off wrapped rollers other than a sharp knife?

I'll trade you a discbine roller wrapped in hay, for a haybine roller wrapped with electric wire. Took me 2 hours in the heat of the day yesterday to get in all out, even with wire cutters.

a carpet knife works best in my experience.. never had the rollers plug up, but had the reel tangle up with hairy vetch, that was some fun.

Sometimes you can manually turn it backwards, that may help (along with the carpet knife)

Stocker Steve":1gjsq8q9 said:
Nesikep":1gjsq8q9 said:
a carpet knife works best in my experience..

Thanks

Really heavy hay cut late this year with all the rain.

Cheap to replace blades, too. I keep one in the tractor toolboxes.

Worst I've ever done was wrapping a few hundred feet of high tensile wire around the pods of a discbine, that cost me a pretty penny.

cfpinz":g3ozlita said:
Worst I've ever done was wrapping a few hundred feet of high tensile wire around the pods of a discbine, that cost me a pretty penny.
Didn;t cost much other than for the exy/ace; but I did the same thing with 14 ga high tensile wrapped around the blades and stump jumpers on a bush hog. May be why a couple of weeks later I had to replace one gear box.

I would definitely take a wrapped disc bine over a wrapped haybine there were many a times I wanted to set the haybine after plugging on a 100 degree day on fire.

cfpinz":32jfsive said:
Stocker Steve":32jfsive said:
Nesikep":32jfsive said:
a carpet knife works best in my experience..

Thanks

I'm talking about the hooked blade carpet/linoleum cutters with wooden handles (usually yellow and green), not the boxcutters with snap-off blades

Nesikep":178d0y5j said:
cfpinz":178d0y5j said:
Stocker Steve":178d0y5j said:
Thanks

I'm talking about the hooked blade carpet/linoleum cutters with wooden handles (usually yellow and green), not the boxcutters with snap-off blades
The make those curved replaceable blades for the generic metal handled utility knives. That's what I use.

Nesikep":16y00sax said:

Hadn't thought about those, thanks for the tip.

It'd be easier to hook the point of their blade under the wrap and ride the roller without scratching it, specially taking misguided netwrap off a round baler roller.

Yes, I know those ones as well, and they do work well for initial cuts skinning (the carpet cutter is my go-to tool though).. for one thing you can slip it in your pocket and it doesn't cut, or need to get folded, and the steel is usually really good and takes a heck of an edge... for unplugging discbines, etc it takes a bit more of a bite (for better or for worse) than the razor knife version.. the razor knife version is nice for stripping wire though.

I found to help prevent plug-ups in heavy stuff you really gotta keep the throttle pinned so it slings off rather than wrapping around.. once it starts there ain't no fixing it

Latest posts