Um I don't even know what to say about this.

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7":qfj8yly9 said:
Dave":qfj8yly9 said:
Remember this is in Australia. Roping cattle is a North American thing. It is not done with any regularity in other parts of the world. Ever take a close look at an Australian saddle? Not a lot to tie off to there.

What is not shown but I am pretty sure how it works is they run these bulls until they are pretty winded. One that it a little short on air would much be easier to knock down and hold down. Heck I have done that horseback with a rope. One of my favorite methods. Miss her enough times until she gets tired of running. Rope her when she is trying to catch her breath. Ride around her a couple times before she takes off. Then ride off pulling all her legs together which knocks her down. Jump off quick and tie her feet before she can get up. Not a whole lot different than their method. Now I prefer to run them into a squeeze chute but when the nearest pen is miles away you do what you have to do.

When I as a kid we'd doctor pinkeye all summer
Big pastures and momma cows
All you could do was rope and trip them. I thought even back then that was hard on the cows not to mention a hot lathered up horse in 100 degree heat
I wonder how many bred cows lost calves doing that
There's still lots of that type stuff going on. Still lots of half top trailers built and sold just for the purpose of dragging cattle in trailers
Some can't be helped and that's the only way, but if I own them, that's the last option

Call me a farmer and I'll spit your eye and start windmilling :mrgreen:

A couple years ago I had a cow with hoof rot over in a big pasture with no pen and certainly no chute. I was by myself. I considered getting the horse and roping her. Tie her head off to a tree and then rope the heels and stretch her out. After careful consideration I went home and got half a dozen panels and set them up by a small clump of trees on the fence line. Them I walked her down along the fence into my catch pen. Her foot was sore enough she wasn't moving fast. Then I loaded her up and took her home where I put her in the chute to doctor her. Instead of cowboying up I farmered up. This getting old is pretty darn sad stuff. Good thing none of my cowboy friends were around to watch. If you try to tell them I will deny it ever happened.

cross_7":2hjgf3d5 said:
OakCreekRanch":2hjgf3d5 said:
cross_7":2hjgf3d5 said:
[youtube]fz8BiTtoLp8[/youtube]
And too many unlucky horses fell victims to Toro.....

Is that a fact or you just talking out of your ass
It's a fact. Let me ask you something, how many horses have been killed in bullfights? I read an article about a Spanish fighting bull killed 11 horses in a single bullfight before he died.

Also the bull in video is already exhausted and injured.

cross_7":1azhe9kh said:
I watched it again and they were a few that turned to fight the atv so no doubt they'd fight
It might be best to heel'em first and the other get a loop on his head after he's down

Two men on either side. If he charges one the other can heel'em, then the other can get a head loop on

The best way to train a bull is to get a rope on one leg up over the hock. When he want's to be a jackazz, just take his leg away. When he want's to travel, let him have his leg back. He'll be a leash broke puppy dog in short order after you set him on his butt a few times. :nod:
Just be careful that you don't do it to the king of the heap when there are other bulls around or you'll find yourself tied to the losing side of a pissing match. You also want to not set him up to hard unless you hate him bad enough that you don't care if he's stifled. :roll:

OakCreekRanch":107mh19t said:
What? I don't get it? I'm a reincarnate somebody? Who???

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, but tone it down some

They are suggesting that you may be a former member that was banned for being a jerk and you came back using a different user name

cross_7":p2qtax6c said:
OakCreekRanch":p2qtax6c said:
What? I don't get it? I'm a reincarnate somebody? Who???

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, but tone it down some

They are suggesting that you may be a former member that was banned for being a jerk and you came back using a different user name
Gotcha, thank you! Sorry everybody, but no I'm not a former member.

WBVS alerted me to this thread and asked me to comment based on any knowledge I have of this type of activity. It certainly isnt done commonly - it leaves too much room for too much to go wrong and serious accidents! There are plenty of scrub (mickey) bulls in the Northern Territory, North Qld and Kimberleys regions which are worth good money. You see the fellow taking the GPS readings as to where the bulls are so they can come back and winch them into a truck. Mostly they tie their legs with a "bullstrap" and haul them up a smooth ramp on their side. More usual is for them to be run down with a bullcatcher vehicle with which I'm sure most of you are familiar - an old jeep or cruiser or something with no top, tyres on the front to knock the bull down, a similar sort of thing as they do with the bike, run up on it. Some even have a "grabber" on the side which latches onto the bull around the neck and brings it to a halt. Way back when we were first married we had some wild country full of mickies but we used to run them down on horseback. The men would lean out and grab them by the tail, jump off and pull them round until they fell over, then strap them. Have seen it done many times. We would cut them, saw off their horns, earmark them and then bring a coacher mob over to put them with as it was too rough for a truck or anything flash like that. Some mug lairs would even ride the mickies back into the mob. The worst scrub mickies, the meanest and hardest to handle I've seen, were herefords. All those bulls in the video clip would be going to market, probably for live export after being held in the yards until they settled down. Those bulls are tough - can't say I've ever actually seen one get hurt!

jilleroo":2bw3tld5 said:
WBVS alerted me to this thread and asked me to comment based on any knowledge I have of this type of activity. It certainly isnt done commonly - it leaves too much room for too much to go wrong and serious accidents! There are plenty of scrub (mickey) bulls in the Northern Territory, North Qld and Kimberleys regions which are worth good money. You see the fellow taking the GPS readings as to where the bulls are so they can come back and winch them into a truck. Mostly they tie their legs with a "bullstrap" and haul them up a smooth ramp on their side. More usual is for them to be run down with a bullcatcher vehicle with which I'm sure most of you are familiar - an old jeep or cruiser or something with no top, tyres on the front to knock the bull down, a similar sort of thing as they do with the bike, run up on it. Some even have a "grabber" on the side which latches onto the bull around the neck and brings it to a halt. Way back when we were first married we had some wild country full of mickies but we used to run them down on horseback. The men would lean out and grab them by the tail, jump off and pull them round until they fell over, then strap them. Have seen it done many times. We would cut them, saw off their horns, earmark them and then bring a coacher mob over to put them with as it was too rough for a truck or anything flash like that. Some mug lairs would even ride the mickies back into the mob. The worst scrub mickies, the meanest and hardest to handle I've seen, were herefords. All those bulls in the video clip would be going to market, probably for live export after being held in the yards until they settled down. Those bulls are tough - can't say I've ever actually seen one get hurt!

Thanks. Interesting. The bull catcher with the "tyres" on the front, I take that to be the tyres are attached to the bumper/front of the catcher (like you see at a boat dock to act as a shock absorber) or do you mean a special tire mounted on the catcher's wheels to knock them down? I am visualizing a catcher being more specialized than the bikes in this video with a modification on the front to knock the mickies down. Is that right?

This is the arm deal in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edpUruTQbTY
better video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taRHSAfSaLE

inyati13 she means tires mounted on the "bull bar" or brush guard to us.

Best way to do the job for them folks. Nothing wrong with any of their methods IMHO.

BTW they have the .gov pretty well involved in all stages of animal welfare so they don't away with much "wrong doing". Check out their live export stuff very interesting.

I think they should collect semen from those bulls. They are raised just the way everyone says they like them raised!! They would also be ideal for people wanting ''grass fed'' genetics. There is a lot more money to be made than meat. :cowboy:

I had a guy give me a few wild cows one time just to get them off his place. He was worried they were going to get out and cause a wreck on the highway. He had no place to catch them and they were as wild as deer. I hired a group of cowboys to come out and rope them. They did and we drug them onto a trailer. It wasn't fun but it was necessary. What these guys are doing is no more cruel than what we did. There are times when getting a cow into a pen is simply not a viable answer. I have no problem with the video at all but I will say I prefer to have my cattle broke to a feed bucket like all mine are.

Kyle

Mountain_Fork":14ne5yq1 said:
I gotta change my name
It's a cowboy authentic video
I think it's a 3 part series about Hawaii
You DO need to change your name! MF does not suit you well! :D
But I love to include it for the irritation factor! :lol:

Latest posts