Typical Ozark top soil

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
soil.jpg

MikeC":m89omo61 said:
Looks like a great place to save money on graveling roads. :lol:

If you took out all the gravel this ridge would be a 500 foot deep hole in the ground.
BTW, this is the good topsoil that doesn;t sit on solid rock 4 inches below the surface

That looks like a hand-dug trench. Looks like work, to me. I dug a 2'X3' trench this spring that was too close to a building to do by machine. Makes my back hurt just thinking about it.

jkwilson":2ty7fyc4 said:
That looks like a hand-dug trench. Looks like work, to me. I dug a 2'X3' trench this spring that was too close to a building to do by machine. Makes my back hurt just thinking about it.

Backhow on a bobcat. Trust me, you don;t hand dig trenches in this neck of the woods.

Thats a good looking trench, lucky you dug that far without hitting solid rock. Around here you would have hit red clay after the first inch.

Wish are top soil looked that good ! :roll: :roll:

buckwheat_87":1qrq3g5l said:
Thats a good looking trench, lucky you dug that far without hitting solid rock. Around here you would have hit red clay after the first inch.

Wish are top soil looked that good ! :roll: :roll:

At the other end of the tremch he hit red clay just under the surface. In another trench it was solid limestone right at the surface in a couple of places. What should have been a 90 foot trench ended up closer to 140 foot from going around the limestone

cfpinz":1r1izaic said:
I know where you can find a good deal on a dump truck...

cfpinz

Does it come with a driver to make the vroom sounds?

Jogeephus":1he3ehw9 said:
If you find a rock in our dirt its probably an arrowhead or at least a flake.

If you find any dirt in our rocks it's probably been trucked in

dun":ys2e505t said:
Jogeephus":ys2e505t said:

:lol: :lol: That's good! :lol: :lol: I guess you'd go broke selling turning plows out there. :lol:

Jogeephus":270kd581 said:
dun":270kd581 said:
Jogeephus":270kd581 said:

:lol: :lol: That's good! :lol: :lol: I guess you'd go broke selling turning plows out there. :lol:

The big ticket here is rock pickers, machines not people.

We got a thing called a root-a-vator. May be similar but this thing will go through new ground and pick up the roots and things to keep you from having to do it. Costs about $600/acre if you hire it done though. Never used one myself cause of the cost. But it does do a good job. Goes down about 18 inches and you can plant peanuts behind it.

MikeC":19f7vcxv said:

How do you know when they are ripe?

I think their vine starts to brown up a bit and they make a thump noise when you thump em. But I might be wrong, we can't seem to grow em here. :lol:

MikeC":22bz75rl said:

How do you know when they are ripe?

We pretend they're commercial grown tomatos and don;t worry about ripeness, just so they get picked

Latest posts