Price per foot T Posts in rocky soil and on a Hill?

Help Support CattleToday:

cmf> thank you/ The fence certainly looks adequate. My situation is somewhat different in that I am surrounded by cousins on
all four sides , a road on one side and no cattle the same color as mine. I have a good 4 wire barb with pipe gates
on the perimeter and cross fenced (rotational grazing) with a 10 joule energizer. I honestly think they would take out
the barb wire before going through the electric!
There is no railroad , wild hogs (or admitted democrats) close by
even so I would consider anyone living next to a fence of the quality you have shown as fortunate. LVR

Held several hundred for about 15 years.
Pretty good at turning the pigs to
Fwiw.
Imo ...the sayings about goats being hard to fence are made by folks with halfazz fences as a excuse. A well built fence will keep goats no problem.
No sir it is the excuse halfazz husbands like me use to keep their wives from getting goats! " they wont stay in our fence otherwise it would be fine with me babe", dont ruin it for us spewing your lies!😂

I have somewhere over 2 miles of fence that would be nice to build. It will be on on extremely rocky very steep ground. Three strand fence is good enough for this country. I wonder how much it would cost to build. If I had it I could tell the BLM to go pound sand.

Attachments

• P4101441.JPG
    P4101441.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 14
  • P8041553.JPG
    P8041553.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 14
I have somewhere over 2 miles of fence that would be nice to build. It will be on on extremely rocky very steep ground. Three strand fence is good enough for this country. I wonder how much it would cost to build. If I had it I could tell the BLM to go pound sand.
I bet you can get it done. Biggest problem would be mobilization. Spring for a couple of hours of helicopter time and a couple of strong fellows looking for a challenge. Being able to use your own ground without BLM interfering would be worth it.

I agree we fenced off some ground from the BLM a few years ago, best thing we ever did.

We have more fence to build and got prices 2 days ago on steel posts and wire. Was quoted $4.49 - $7.25 per post(includes 5 clips). Cheapest was at tractor supply. Wire was $65-$85 per roll. Things have certainly gotten expensive since the first of the year. I'm sure hoping this isn't the new norm.😕

Hate to tell you, @C-Ranch but I believe it is not only the new norm, but it is going to get worse. Inflation is going to make it even more expensive.

And here in Va it used to be in the law that a legal fence was 8 wires, spaced x apart .... I can't find that specific paper that had it specified.... if it was not a woven wire (field fence) type of fence that was at least 39 inches for hogs and 47 inches for cattle, it had to be 8 strands of wire....
Most of the hi-tensile smooth wire is 6 strands at least and I've seen alot of 7 and 8 strands... and if it isn't electrified in my opinion it's not worth 10 cents... the cows WILL push their way through if they want to... it's "springy" for a reason.
See alot of barbed wire at 4 strands, but the older fences are 6-8 strands.

Tee posts (6-1/2') USA made 1.25# at McCoys Builders here are $5.39 and the 6 1/2' USA 1.33# are $6.79.

Gaucho 15.5 ga is running about $63/roll and Red Brand 12.5 ga around $80.

I try to stay away from TSC for any fencing stuff. Bought some 6 1/2' tee posts there about 9-10 years ago and they were bad about bending. Foreign made.

Bakaert makes a 14 ga. high tensile barbed wire that is way better than Gaucho and about the same price as the 12.5 ga. regular barbed wire. We went to using that for all new fences.

Bakaert makes a 14 ga. high tensile barbed wire that is way better than Gaucho and about the same price as the 12.5 ga. regular barbed wire.

The Bekaert Cattleman Pro? I've used some of it too.
It's around $100/roll tho.

The Bekaert Cattleman Pro? I've used some of it too.
It's around $100/roll tho.
Yes. I guess the last I bought was a year ago and it was the same price as regular barbed at around $70/roll. I'm sure it has gone up and haven't priced any lately. Still have 2½ rolls -- almost as good as gold.

Quite a bit of my fence is on the same slope just covered with trees. Take what someone will charge per foot on ground that can be accessed with an ATV, then double that and you will be pretty close.

Hate to tell you, @C-Ranch but I believe it is not only the new norm, but it is going to get worse. Inflation is going to make it even more expensive.

And here in Va it used to be in the law that a legal fence was 8 wires, spaced x apart .... I can't find that specific paper that had it specified.... if it was not a woven wire (field fence) type of fence that was at least 39 inches for hogs and 47 inches for cattle, it had to be 8 strands of wire....
Most of the hi-tensile smooth wire is 6 strands at least and I've seen alot of 7 and 8 strands... and if it isn't electrified in my opinion it's not worth 10 cents... the cows WILL push their way through if they want to... it's "springy" for a reason.
See alot of barbed wire at 4 strands, but the older fences are 6-8 strands.
I think you may be right, but hoping things will eventually get better.

I have about 100 T posts and 10 rolls of wire out here on pallets. Most of the T posts are 6 foot heavies. Most people here use 5 1/2 T posts. The wire is either some cheap 2 barb wire from the ranch my wife had. Or it is 4 point Red Brand wire. Fences here are either 3 or 4 strand barb wire. There are a few 5 strand fences by the more well traveled roads. The trouble with the fence I would like to build is only about 300 feet of it you could drive an ATV on. The majority is steep enough that it is very difficult to walk on. You are side hilling while quartering down the slope. I don't know how you could put a roll of wire down without it rolling off the mountain.
I was told by a farm store manager that 4 point wire cost them the same as 2 point. They charge more for the 4 point because people think it should cost more.

We normal use all 5.5" T-posts and all 4 wire except boundary fences. I'm going to start putting hot wire in all 4 strand interior fences to keep cows from pushing on them.
I really like the red brand wire, but non of the farm stores around here can get it in, due to shortage. Seems like everything we need is on backorder these days🤷

I put 4 strand on the cross fencing at my remote place and left about a 14" spacing between the two bottom wires. This allows the baby calves to get thru it easily. Saves a lot of effort when they get on the wrong side since these animals only get checked on once a week.

I put 4 strand on the cross fencing at my remote place and left about a 14" spacing between the two bottom wires. This allows the baby calves to get thru it easily. Saves a lot of effort when they get on the wrong side since these animals only get checked on once a week.
I've seen lots of baby calves be put down to sleep by momma next to a fence and somehow just wake up on the wrong side of it , opposite from momma.

Minimum 4 strand here, prefer 5 strand or better and 6 1/2 posts because of the soft soil.
The only 3 strand fences around here are city moved to country horse people.

I agree, fences need to be built either so calves can't get through in the first place as in woven wire or lots of strands of barb wire or build them as you have suggested so that the calves can commute back and forth until they get the idea that the fence is to keep them in.

Ken

I rarely have a calf that will go back and forth. As garybeard says, sometimes they just wake up on the wrong side or get run through like calves do. . With the wide gap they get back to where they need to be with no assistance. I don't get out there a lot when its muddy so it works as intended. . The perimeter fence of this property is a tight 6-line and the cattle have no reason to get out.

The place is ideal for a remote cattle place. There are only cattle on one side and that neighbor has corriente behind a high tensile net wire high fence. Its bad issues are no public water or electricity close by and when its muddy, you have to check your cattle with a side by side.

I rarely have a calf that will go back and forth. As garybeard says, sometimes they just wake up on the wrong side or get run through like calves do. . With the wide gap they get back to where they need to be with no assistance. I don't get out there a lot when its muddy so it works as intended. . The perimeter fence of this property is a tight 6-line and the cattle have no reason to get out.

The place is ideal for a remote cattle place. There are only cattle on one side and that neighbor has corriente behind a high tensile net wire high fence. Its bad issues are no public water or electricity close by and when its muddy, you have to check your cattle with a side by side.

Latest posts