TYE pasture pleaser

Help Support CattleToday:

uplandnut

Reaction score
There is a TYE pasture pleaser in an auction in week or so. Looks to be in pretty nice shape. Been looking to get a grain drill to overseed my pastures with but my neighbor seems to think this would be a better investment for doing pastures.
Anyone have one or have any experience with one? Or no of any problem spots on them to look for damage? it is a 3pt 7', believe the model was a 104-4204.

I have used a tow model with hydraulics to plant about 100 acres or so over the past 10 years. I get it from the seed dealer where I purchase my pasture mix. This thing has been ragged on by virtually every guy in our county with a patch of ground that needs planting. The seed dealer has rebuilt it once he said. Has held up extremely well for being a loaner. It does a great job of planting if you set your depths correctly and calibrate seed rate accurately.

I have used a pull behind several times. Our soil and water agency use to rent one and i got it several times. It worked good everytime I used it. THe last time I got it several bearings were worn out in the disks in front and the guy there thought you had to go through the dealer to get them. I went to the local auto store and he said to charge them to their account and fixed every bearing that was needed and greased/oiled up real good. When I took it back it was in good shape and the guy there said no charge for using it. I have bid on a couple before at auctions and just missed out.

Like this...........

6007556_1_x.jpg

The seeders are plastic and run about $70 each. Wasn't all that hard to replace but getting everything fine tuned again wasn't much fun. Got to be some trick to that I didn't get figured out. Be easy with it when making adjustments so as not to crack one if it binds up. Check to see how much play the coulter bearings have. Seems like it was about $20 for the bearings and seals for one. I've got a couple loose opener discs on mine but haven't priced parts for that but it's something to check. Check for missing parts on the press wheel assembly....that little flat piece of flat iron punched full of holes that adjust the press wheel pressure applied was quoted to me for $120. They are held in by pin clips for easy adjustments. Not all that hard to fabricate but my advice their is to pull them out and bolt that sucker in. Wrenches are way cheaper.

1982vett has some great points......I picked up one like the photo above several years ago....had a lot of grease on it....the owner really knew how to use a grease gun well. I've cleaned it up and adjusted, tightened everything, used it spareingly so far, but will crank up more this year and forward. I really use the silicon spray on those plastic parts whenever making adjustments.....makes it a lot easier. Hope you find it at a good price.

It sold at auction today. Was a 3 point model and it brought $4900. Probably wasn't to bad, but just couldn't get my hand to go up. Everything seemed to be going really high.

uplandnut said:
It sold at auction today. Was a 3 point model and it brought $4900. Probably wasn't to bad, but just couldn't get my hand to go up. Everything seemed to be going really high.

I have the three point model and it's pretty hefty. It will be obvious if your tire pressure is low or uneven. :nod: I think we paid $3600 for it about 12 years ago. Don't know about the auction you went to, but I think the ones where things go high aren't really auctions. Equipment moves from one place to another till someone is willing to pay the price.

Latest posts