Pasture Shredding

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Thinking about pasture shredding as a side business come spring and during the summer. Have a 65hp Jd don't have a shredder yet what would be one that's affordable and best size to get. How much do people normally charge per hr or per acre really interested I am located in east Tx. Suggestions needed.

Depends on what customer you want to target. 65 hp will run an 8' and if you get a med to heavy (preferred) duty with dual wheels, 2ea 4' cutter blades you can cover good ground rapidly and have a clean cutter. That size will work in a 3 pt nicely and would be my preference since you will be mobile. 8' will travel the roads on it's own or trailered with no width permit problems. I had a Mohawk as I described and more than enough power with a 70 hp JD.

If you have small jobs with a lot of ground variations, you want a small mower or you will have scalping problems. You might look at a conventional riding mower for that sized job.

On my tractor work, being retired, I figure $10-10-10.....me-equipment-fuel per hour and if I am not working at the job, I deduct the dead time. I see signs $40/acre for commercial guys, no mention of travel and all so I don't how they handle that. You have to figure in travel time too. For nearby jobs it's in the pricing. On long ones, on the first ones do it for free and get an idea as to your costs to get to and from the work site and price accordingly. Nothing wrong with pricing the job from your farm and back time, just put yourself in the customer's shoes and treat them accordingly.

Texasmark said:
Depends on what customer you want to target. 65 hp will run an 8' and if you get a med to heavy (preferred) duty with dual wheels, 2ea 4' cutter blades you can cover good ground rapidly and have a clean cutter. That size will work in a 3 pt nicely and would be my preference since you will be mobile. 8' will travel the roads on it's own or trailered with no width permit problems. I had a Mohawk as I described and more than enough power with a 70 hp JD.

If you have small jobs with a lot of ground variations, you want a small mower or you will have scalping problems. You might look at a conventional riding mower for that sized job.

On my tractor work, being retired, I figure $10-10-10.....me-equipment-fuel per hour and if I am not working at the job, I deduct the dead time. I see signs $40/acre for commercial guys, no mention of travel and all so I don't how they handle that. You have to figure in travel time too. For nearby jobs it's in the pricing. On long ones, on the first ones do it for free and get an idea as to your costs to get to and from the work site and price accordingly. Nothing wrong with pricing the job from your farm and back time, just put yourself in the customer's shoes and treat them accordingly.
How much do the 8ft mowers run used vs new.

I have this

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/list/category/1134/hay-and-forage-equipment-rotary-mowers/manufacturer/land-pride/model/rcf3096

8-10' pull behind

We have an old Ford 5000 that will spin the heavy duty, 10', solid deck, bushhog no problem unless it's really thick brush. Doubt you want to take on jobs like that.

You have to remember there are different levels of shredders out there. Some are for small person use on farms and some are commercial/ heavy duty.

They make some shredders that have just one bat wing on them. I always thought they were interesting because you get the benefits of having the wing out past the tractor, but its keeps the ft down for smaller tractors, and its narrow when it folds up for transporting or going thru gates.

HDRider said:
I have this

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/list/category/1134/hay-and-forage-equipment-rotary-mowers/manufacturer/land-pride/model/rcf3096

How much do you like it and what size tractor do you need to run it

Bfields30 said:
HDRider said:
I have this

How much do you like it and what size tractor do you need to run it

I am very satisfied.

Their site https://www.landpride.com/products/363/rcf3096-series-rotary-cutters
says 40-110 HP

My 73 hp (65hp output at the pto) handles a heavy-duty 10' pull behind just fine. There are some things to consider: A bigger pull behind is much faster on large tracts of land. But, they are terrible at trim work, mowing around trees fence rows ect. For that, you really need a 3 point mower or on my wish list, the Lane Shark or Titan Trailblazer FEL articulating mower.

*Note, it is important to make sure you size your gearbox correctly to your tractor.

Latest posts