Disking Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
I am in the process of disking a pasture that hasn't been disk in probably 10 years. There is native bluestem grass around 12" tall in it. Would it work better if I pulled a ripper of some sort or chisel plow through it first than run my disk harrow through it? It seems my disk isnt cutting too good until I make 3-4 passes. Thanks

I would disc it once then chisel. Then disc again. UNLESS, I could pull the chisel plow through it first without it dragging. At 12" tall I would think it would drag, but I don't know for sure.

a moldboard plow, if it's not too rocky would be my first choice
Second choice would be a chisel plow, space the tines accordingly until it doesn't plug, then disc after a couple passes of chiseling
If you're going to disc, you need a breaking disc, one with scalloped discs front and back, and lots of weight

unless he is trying to completely rehab and replant a moldboard plow does not need to be anywhere near the pasture. Disking pastures in the south opens compacted soil if there is any bermuda in the stand it will help it spread .

Mow it short get residue off then disc it. FWIW its is usually better to disc in the spring before things get to growing 2 fast.

Thanks for input. I know I'm running behind schedule. My plan as of now is to kill the blue stem. Shred it off, than run a chisel plow through it to break up the ground. After that I will disk it smooth and hopefully be able to sprig it this coming winter/spring. The end goal is rid the pasture of the KR and get a good stand of coastal eventually.

Soggy Bottom said:
Thanks for input. I know I'm running behind schedule. My plan as of now is to kill the blue stem. Shred it off, than run a chisel plow through it to break up the ground. After that I will disk it smooth and hopefully be able to sprig it this coming winter/spring. The end goal is rid the pasture of the KR and get a good stand of coastal eventually.
If you are going to sprig I would graze this summer then early winter turn it with a plow let the weeds germ and disk it every few weeks to kill them.

M-5 said:
Soggy Bottom said:
If you are going to sprig I would graze this summer then early winter turn it with a plow let the weeds germ and disk it every few weeks to kill them.

Here in the N. Tx. Blacklands (clay) soil is prepped into a seedbed type condition in the fall after a couple of rains have softened things up a bit. Sprigging is usually done in late January when the annual dry week to 10 days occurs at the end of the month.....same time wheat producers spray for Green Bugs. Light harrowing to loosen the top soil first; depends on the type of sprigging machine used.

Newby on disc methods. I have a new 12' pull disc with rippers on the front and smooth on the back. I di'd up about 20 acres due to hog damage and now its as rough as a cob everywhere. Almost need seatbelts when crossing on a side by side. How do I get it smooth? It has rained so much here in E. Texas that it holds water in places where it used to drain so disking is not an option now....but later, how to smooth it up. I have a good stand of regular bermuda and bahai mix and it is growing fine (along with some "natural" grass (weeds) and i don't want to loose it either. Any suggestions?