Two new calves

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
This past weekend I've had two new calves . First calf came Friday afternoon a nice surprise after work. Heifer calf born to a red limozine 5yr old cow I bought at local sale barn the first of Dec . Cow/calf doing great. Second was a bull calf born Sunday night or Monday morning early to a BWF 5yr old cow I bought Labor day at local sale barn . Saturday I shut the cow in the barn to keep a closer eye on her. She has been huge for quit some time. Had a very large calf . Monday afternoon calf was weak called Vet. He put a bag of colostrum down him. Wished me the best . Tuesday morning calf weak but would nurse. Tuesday afternoon calf much stronger. Wed. morning calf nursed still a little stronger. Wed. afternoon calf nursed . About the same strength wise. Calf seem to have trouble figuring out about the teats he's got the head butt down. This may have to do with the cows bag hanging low. Any way new to this calving thing a lot to learn. This web site has been a great help . Thanks to all for past and future posts and replies . rjbovine

When I see a moma cow with a new calf, it makes me feel like lifes really good. :banana: hope all goes well

nothing like seeing those newborn calves. I think some calves are just alittle smarter than others when it comes to nursing. my dad had hereford cow's with simme calves that seemed to be slow starters on the teats sometimes. we have xcows and a gelveigh bull and those little boogers latch right on no problem so far.

Congratulations!
I'm sad because we lost a newborn calf the other day, born to my favorite sweet little heifer (dexter). She got on a hillside, and we think the head twisted under as it was being born and smothered. It was 0 degrees out, and think we got there about 10 minutes too late, the calf was steaming... I really wanted to cry, but had to keep up my spirits for my daughters who were so looking forward to the calf. I can't wait to get to that flat ground in Kansas, March 1 is the moving date now...

snickers":ta71eg7f said:
nothing like seeing those newborn calves. I think some calves are just alittle smarter than others when it comes to nursing. my dad had hereford cow's with simme calves that seemed to be slow starters on the teats sometimes. we have xcows and a gelveigh bull and those little boogers latch right on no problem so far.

That is still my ideal weaner calf.

Latest posts