Twins ?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Just wondering how often you have had mother and daughter both have twins the same breeding season bred by two different bulls .

Lisa had twin heifers in Jan AI'd by Ozz Ideal Direction and the Royalty just had twins this morning (both doing well), bull and heifer she was bred by my clean up bull Maximus (Moderator son) who was a twin himself . No previous twins in the two girls history . :?

hillsdown":3eel9xdw said:
Just wondering how often you have had mother and daughter both have twins the same breeding season bred by two different bulls .

Lisa had twin heifers in Jan AI'd by Ozz Ideal Direction and the Royalty just had twins this morning (both doing well), bull and heifer she was bred by my clean up bull Maximus (Moderator son) who was a twin himself . No previous twins in the two girls history . :?

So even with a couple of losses you are still looking at a 100% calf crop. COOOOOOL. Sorry about the potential Freemartin though.

The bull calf is black and the heifer calf is red . :?

As long as they stay healthy at this point that is all that matters .

HD,

Good to hear the twins are doing well so far. Most years i've had up to 10 % twins, mostly the same cows. But never a twin from a twin ! When it's all going right your lucky, but sometimes you end up with a dead twin , a sic cow and a :cry2: farmer! And don't even talk about a freemarten (kween),
you have to eat them yourselve or give them away overhere. (They taste well!)

DC

weve never had a mother an daughter have twins.but we have had a cow or 2 to have twins in back to back years.

We have such a small herd that it's unknown as to how many have the twin potential. I'm sure you will find it increasing by using a bull that was a twin himself. Did you see the cow with the rare set of triplets on RFD TV the other day? All 3 doing well.
Valerie

Update on their weights. The bull was 89lbs and the heifer was 65lbs. That is a lot of baby in one cow , but her mom had almost 170 lbs of calves in her this year too.

I hope they will be OK out there, we are going to be having a crap load of snow and highs of -20 for about 2 weeks . :???:

Crazy weather this year .. :roll:

dutchcowboy":2y3ytwbs said:
HD,

Good to hear the twins are doing well so far. Most years i've had up to 10 % twins, mostly the same cows. But never a twin from a twin ! When it's all going right your lucky, but sometimes you end up with a dead twin , a sic cow and a :cry2: farmer! And don't even talk about a freemarten (kween),
you have to eat them yourselve or give them away overhere. (They taste well!)

DC

We have the good fortune to be able to finish steers and heifers here so free martins/heifers do very well here, thankfully. She is small though, but really feisty .

BTW really ,like the new avatar DC , Lakenvelders are a favorite of ours ;-)

Never in the same season. Had a mother that had 2 sets of twins, 2 of her daughters (not from a set of twins) have had a set each. From 2 different bulls.

Brand spanking new.

184676_1790707604189_1134577259_2105638_3472296_n1.jpg

In the sleigh and to dry off then back out to mom . She calved during a bloody blizzard of course :roll:

181509_1790708684216_1134577259_2105639_6133271_n1.jpg

I'll ask some friiends of mine they run alot of cows usually have 40-50 sets a year. Simmental cattle seem to twin alot-I saw a set up there once weighed 250 pounds-that's alot of calf lol.

Northern Rancher":33grbuq4 said:
I'll ask some friiends of mine they run alot of cows usually have 40-50 sets a year. Simmental cattle seem to twin alot-I saw a set up there once weighed 250 pounds-that's alot of calf lol.

Most of the time it are my simmentals who give twins ,yes.
When there's a calf born out of a simmentalcow and it isnt so big, I always chek if there is an other calf in the cow.
And a twin of 50 kgs a calf can be normal sometimes.

HD,

Hope you have better weather soon, I don't like to have cows calving in the snow.
So even in the sissy winters we have here my salers are calving only in late april.
Like the pictures you posted, must be really cold there brrr.

The reason I choosed Lakenvelders in my avatar is they are "dutch"belted. They are nice to see, and thats the only thing I like about them.

Hope to see some more pictures soon, from some happy calves in some nice weather.

DC

dutchcowboy":32t86s5f said:
HD,

Hope you have better weather soon, I don't like to have cows calving in the snow.
So even in the sissy winters we have here my salers are calving only in late april.
Like the pictures you posted, must be really cold there brrr.

The reason I choosed Lakenvelders in my avatar is they are "dutch"belted. They are nice to see, and thats the only thing I like about them.

Hope to see some more pictures soon, from some happy calves in some nice weather.

DC

Heck I always thought a Lakenvelder was a chicken!

Here is some info about the breed Dylan.
The origin of Dutch Belted or Lakenvelder cattle is not known, however it is believed they originate from Austria and Switzerland, where they were moved by dutch nobility to the Netherlands . They have existed as a pure breed since the sixteen hundreds.

The name Lakenvelder or Lakenfield cattle derives from the word "laken" meaning a sheet or cloth, referring to the white band passing around the body. In some countries animals with this marking are known as "sheeted" cattle.

This belt or sheet is of pure white hair extending from the shoulders to the hip bones and should encircle the body completely. The cattle are otherwise black (or occasionally red). In their original form they were horned and primarily a dairy breed – comparing favourably with the Holstein in milk yield.

By the 1930s Lakenvelder numbers were very low in the Netherlands and the Herd Book was closed. In the 1970s a Trust was set up to save them from extinction in their own country. However, the breed had been exported to the USA as early as 1838 and spread to both Canada and Mexico; it still has good support throughout North America.

Bulls average 200lbs and cows average 900-1300 lbs they are beef and dairy Lakenvelders

My husbands dad manages one of the top herds in Holland at the castle so they still are very much a "nobility" breed there. Btw I would just about kill to have there calving barn :shock: I agree they are pretty to look at too DC, but I will take my Gelbvieh's instead . The FIL was just walking by a cow with a calf a few years ago and she tossed him 20 feet in the air , he is lucky to be alive and he is with these cows ,day in and day out and they are all very used to him. So I think they have a small disposition problem. ;-)

Only have 6 left to calve so almost done, calving season this year will be about 7-8 weeks long I hope. All the girls I AI'd except one, who I still have yet to get to settle to AI ,all did on first service. Had another one born last night at midnight in almost 40 below weather so she spent the night in the shop . Mom was very relieved to get her back and I was relieved she was so happy to see her. :lol2:

Hubby was cleared for light duty yesterday . He got his surgical cast removed and a waling cast on . He still cannot put weight on it for 2 more weeks but the surgeon was more than pleased with how it is healing and stitching together.

Now I need to look for a heifer bull in the next couple of weeks, Maximus is throwing larger calves than I would like the heifers to have to deal with and if next year we have another record cold winter then birth weights will be up higher again.

Heck I always thought a Lakenvelder was a chicken![/quote]

That's right, we have even chickens called lakenvelder overhere and also rabbits with a 'laken' they're called hollandertje. My neighbour has got some lakenvelder heiffers since he quit his dairy last summer.
They look nice and easy, but when he wants too work them, they go totaly nuts. He couldn't catch them to AI them. I think he's thinking :cry2: of his old dairycows alot sometimes.

hillsdown":2m1zhp4c said:
Here is some info about the breed Dylan.
The origin of Dutch Belted or Lakenvelder cattle is not known, however it is believed they originate from Austria and Switzerland, where they were moved by dutch nobility to the Netherlands . They have existed as a pure breed since the sixteen hundreds.

The name Lakenvelder or Lakenfield cattle derives from the word "laken" meaning a sheet or cloth, referring to the white band passing around the body. In some countries animals with this marking are known as "sheeted" cattle.

This belt or sheet is of pure white hair extending from the shoulders to the hip bones and should encircle the body completely. The cattle are otherwise black (or occasionally red). In their original form they were horned and primarily a dairy breed – comparing favourably with the Holstein in milk yield.

By the 1930s Lakenvelder numbers were very low in the Netherlands and the Herd Book was closed. In the 1970s a Trust was set up to save them from extinction in their own country. However, the breed had been exported to the USA as early as 1838 and spread to both Canada and Mexico; it still has good support throughout North America.

Bulls average 200lbs and cows average 900-1300 lbs they are beef and dairy Lakenvelders

My husbands dad manages one of the top herds in Holland at the castle so they still are very much a "nobility" breed there. Btw I would just about kill to have there calving barn :shock: I agree they are pretty to look at too DC, but I will take my Gelbvieh's instead . The FIL was just walking by a cow with a calf a few years ago and she tossed him 20 feet in the air , he is lucky to be alive and he is with these cows ,day in and day out and they are all very used to him. So I think they have a small disposition problem. ;-)

Only have 6 left to calve so almost done, calving season this year will be about 7-8 weeks long I hope. All the girls I AI'd except one, who I still have yet to get to settle to AI ,all did on first service. Had another one born last night at midnight in almost 40 below weather so she spent the night in the shop . Mom was very relieved to get her back and I was relieved she was so happy to see her. :lol2:

Hubby was cleared for light duty yesterday . He got his surgical cast removed and a waling cast on . He still cannot put weight on it for 2 more weeks but the surgeon was more than pleased with how it is healing and stitching together.

Now I need to look for a heifer bull in the next couple of weeks, Maximus is throwing larger calves than I would like the heifers to have to deal with and if next year we have another record cold winter then birth weights will be up higher again.

Sounds like you are in the final stretch with things under control, glad to hear it.
Thanks for the info on the Lakenvelder.

Yeah it is nice when the cow actually wants her calf. :cowboy:

Sounds like AI was a great success, good for you!

Calving ease Gelbvieh, sort of an oxymoron. :lol2: Just kidding!! :nod:

What do you think of this proven bull? http://bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=58

Actually, I am hoping to use Sir Arnold and Pure Power on my heifers this year . I need a bull on the ground for my heifers as a clean up bull. Hopefully the girls finish soon so I can take in a couple of sales this year.

It will be interesting to see what Max's epds for calving end up like after this season, he was at 112 before . I should say lower birth weight bull, not calving ease as they are having them unassisted on their own for the most part but 95 lb calves are a bit much for my 1100/1200 lb heifers to be having . The heifers are a nice size usually around 80lbs but the bull calves are huge. Even had one 102lbs this year, hopefully that was the last one too . It is the weather that added the pounds because the heifers that calved first had really nice calves around 78lbs.

I do like the looks of that bull though Dylan .

Latest posts