Twin heifer calves

Help Support CattleToday:

jenna

Reaction score
Have many of you had twins this year? (beef or dairy). This was our third set of twins this month. Luckily they are all doing good. The first calf was quite big and came the right way. We never thought there could be another calf in there, but supprisingly there was. I've gottan into the habbit of always going in and checking after the first calf just to be sure there aren't twins and everything is ok. The second calf was backwards and took some real manuvering to get out.

calving.jpg
[/img]

Haven't had a set of twins for years. We once had a cow calve with a big calf. Never thought it was twins. Long story short, we Lost the second one. You never know.
Liked the pic, its nice to see someone else deliver a calf for a change :)

We don't get a lot of twins, generally only one set every other year. This year we had a bull and heifer set - the first time we've had that. Good luck with yours! :)

we had a set for about an hour :oops:
I looked out into the pasture and a new mama had one baby up eating and another at her feet
walked out near her and she was protective of both, walked them both away from us

about an hour later I was trying to show my Mom the twins and one calf was walking away from the first cow toward another and the little booger went to nursing

looks like she was just babysitting :roll:

Five sets so far (dairy)...four bull-heifer combos, one heifer-heifer.

We just had our second set of twins this year (two in a row ). Lost one of the first ones a bull, along with the mama, wife has done a good job raising the orphine, its almost weaned. Had two bull twins last night , had to pull the second one it was breech and mama cow is not wanting to accept it, both calfs knees are trying to roll under. Twims usually mean extra work but its part of it.
JRP

we have had 4 sets of twins this year. 3 sets ok- cows refused a twin each so i have those 3 on botttles. The fourth twin was the only survivor( lost mom and the other twin-
breech and the cow prolasped and had a uterine bleed) :shock:

msscamp":2m7gpifz said:
We don't get a lot of twins, generally only one set every other year. This year we had a bull and heifer set - the first time we've had that. Good luck with yours! :)

Msscamp, did you know that the heifer twin is likely a freemartin?

We had a former show heifer calve for the first time last night in a huge thunderstorm. Heifer came first & was completely dry and trying to get up and nurse when I just happened to look up and see another set of feet. Both calves are healthy and pretty good sized. We assisted but wouldn't have had to. Too bad the heifer will have to go to the sale barn though!!! Heifer is black, bull is red & white. They're a rambunctious pair - momma has her work cut out for her keeping up with and feeding these two!!

There have been a few at the farm where I work. Actually, this morning one of the highest milk producers aborted twins. The vet thought there was only one but after a while they checked again and sure enough, there was a second one. The cow was only 7 months into her pregnancy and amazingly, the second calf was alive!! (Of course it didn't survive afterward.)

Beefy":er6crpbp said:
msscamp":er6crpbp said:

Msscamp, did you know that the heifer twin is likely a freemartin?

Yes, I did....Thanks, though! :)

1 set this year.
Does anyone else notice it's the dam that seems to do it?
The mother and grandmother of this cow had twins also.

We usually get quite a few twins, we get people that come out to buy our bulls just for that reason, increased fertility. In fact, my cow Sage had twins last year, and again this year (bull bull one dead, heifer bull drat but both healthy), my cow Kristy had twins last year and this year again(heifer heifer one dead, heifer heifer both fine). We even had two cows that were twin sisters that had twins every other year! I don't mind twins, as they say, a bottle calf is the best life insurance policy you can buy for your calves, bc about the time you want to stick the calf on a momma that lost a baby you get all healthy ones!

dj":guk1dltu said:
1 set this year.

and of course its the dam, she has to release two eggs rather than one... the semen sure isnt doing that.

just had our first set on friday...little white heifer and a big black bull...momma disowned the bull and now hes the bottle calf...kinda wished it would have been the other way around but it cant always go the way you want or it wouldnt be any fun....usually we get a couple sets every year...we only have 13 cows left to calf so looks like we might only end up with one this year...

Alex

heifer_fitter":1q93we73 said:
dj":1q93we73 said:
1 set this year.

and of course its the dam, she has to release two eggs rather than one... the semen sure isnt doing that.

Twins are not necessarily the result of multiple eggs being released (fraternal twins), they also result from a fertilized egg splitting (identical twins) in the early stages of development and the bull does play a part, although it's the sire of the twins grandmother, rather than their mother (if I remember correctly) who contributes to a higher twinning rate. A bull who was a twin himself has a higher liklihood of passing the trait to his offspring. Just my thoughts.

i have a friend who had a set of twins last august and when he sold them they weighed 1450 lbs together. one heifer and one bull, cow looked real good and raised them both.

Latest posts