Twin heifer calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Is having twins the fault of the bull? Or the cow? Twins seem to run in familys of humans - does it work that way for bovine?

RebelCritter":ztfyos2m said:
Is having twins the fault of the bull? Or the cow? Twins seem to run in familys of humans - does it work that way for bovine?

Both. The cow will have a direct affect on her winning and on her daughters tendency to twin. The bull won;t cause twins in to cow he's bred to but his daughters will have a tendency to twin. But a bull that sires daughters that twin bred to a cow that twins, their daughters still don;t have all that high of a twin rate. The last I saw about it several years ago was 30%. There was some guy up north of here, IA, NE, or some such, that had selected for years for twins and that's all that he was running.

dun

I had my first set of twins last Thursday. (I think). One heifer, one bull.

I don't think this cow has had twins before, but if I wouldn't have heard the bawling from the brush and gone to check on it then it would have died and I'd never have known it existed. Makes me wonder if this has happened before?

dun":2mkth4ej said:
RebelCritter":2mkth4ej said:

Both. The cow will have a direct affect on her winning and on her daughters tendency to twin. The bull won;t cause twins in to cow he's bred to but his daughters will have a tendency to twin. But a bull that sires daughters that twin bred to a cow that twins, their daughters still don;t have all that high of a twin rate. The last I saw about it several years ago was 30%. There was some guy up north of here, IA, NE, or some such, that had selected for years for twins and that's all that he was running.

dun

Is that the guy in Clay Creek, Ne (I think that's right)? I ran across an article about his herd and selecting for twins. It was interesting.

msscamp":3cc4jlqd said:
Is that the guy in Clay Creek, Ne (I think that's right)? I ran across an article about his herd and selecting for twins. It was interesting.

Don't recall. Saw the article several years ago and I've slept since then.

dun

dun":3lnjgofp said:
msscamp":3lnjgofp said:

dun

I hear ya on that one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

dun":tjyp9vos said:
msscamp":tjyp9vos said:

dun
:D :D Thanks Dun - I had a nice chuckle on that one - guess when it is truthful about yourself - it's more funny! :D