Twin Calf Not Thriving

Help Support CattleToday:

ratch

Reaction score
My beef cow recently gave birth to twins. One was small and has not been growing as fast as the other. We make sure she gets milk from her mother and bottle feed the bigger one. She seems to be holding her own but seems to always be straining to go to the bathroom. She seems extreamly constipated and I was wondering if there was something I could give her to help unbind here. Someone metioned caster-oil but was unsure about how much to give and how to give it. I'd appreciate any help you can give me on this.

ratch":3tczfw3p said:
My beef cow recently gave birth to twins. One was small and has not been growing as fast as the other. We make sure she gets milk from her mother and bottle feed the bigger one. She seems to be holding her own but seems to always be straining to go to the bathroom. She seems extreamly constipated and I was wondering if there was something I could give her to help unbind here. Someone metioned caster-oil but was unsure about how much to give and how to give it. I'd appreciate any help you can give me on this.

Well, you got some choices, but I know what I would do.

You got one that is failing - time to take it off the cow.

Do NOT bottle feed the larger of the two - it will still take the lions share from mom - give the bottle to the small one. Or did you mean that you have removed the larger calf from the cow?

If you did I would reverse this.

The calf is a mammal - give it the same oil dose as you would for a human - grab the thing and pour it down its throat - have to manhandle it a bit - hope you can catch it and hold it while your partner does the pouring.

It will get the runs big time - do not stand behind it if it coughs!

I absolutely hate twins - it is very, very common for one of them to do poorly.

Bez'

Thanks Bez, but would you use the caster-oil or mineral-oil or does it matter. Also, if I take the smaller one off the mother what should I give her for milk. I had been giving the bigger one just plain milk because she is starting to nibble hay and is ready to be weaned. Is plain milk ok for the little one too? Also, I'm fairly sure that she didn't get much if any colostrum as I was on vacation at the time of birth and was told she had to be bottle fed at birth because she couldn't stand at first. By the way, I seemed to be cursed or blessed(depending on the day) with twin girls...I have twin daughters and twin calfs. Ha Ha.....thanks

ratch":3ry5jp9z said:
Thanks Bez, but would you use the caster-oil or mineral-oil or does it matter.

In truth I have never personally used it - never had to - but if I did I would not care - just pick one and go.

Also, if I take the smaller one off the mother what should I give her for milk.

Go to your local feed store and buy some good quality milk replacer - and the associated stuff you might need - bottle / bucket etc. make the hle in the nipple a bit larger so it feeds easier - or do what we do bucket train it to drink. Feed directions are on the bag - follow them.

I had been giving the bigger one just plain milk because she is
starting to nibble hay and is ready to be weaned.

How old? If about to be weaned then this is a moot point - all the above discussion is for nought - and I for sure would not worry about spending the money to "bring them along". Better to sell them both - use the money to buy one quality animal. What weight? We leave our animals on the cow for 6-7 months.

Is plain milk ok for the little one too?

Yes.

Also, I'm fairly sure that she didn't get much if any colostrum as I was on vacation at the time of birth and was told she had to be bottle fed at birth because she couldn't stand at first.

Too late to worry about that now - it is a non player in my book - if you really have doubts - ship it tomorrow. While it is the exception rather than the rule - in this house - we have successfully raised calves and returned them to the field as breeders when they have not received "first milk". The importance of colostrum cannot be over stated - but the fact is - if one is careful and looks after the calf - it is possible to bring it along quite nicely.

By the way, I seemed to be cursed or blessed(depending on the day) with twin girls...I have twin daughters and twin calfs. Ha Ha.....thanks

Sell the danged twin calves - buy one better animal - love your daughters hard - they will be gone soon enough.

Regards

Bez'

Latest posts