Turned out today.

Help Support CattleToday:

The one on the far right with horns...is that her red calf behind her? This isn;t the same cow you posted earlier asking what kind it was, is it?
Not the same cow i posted yesterday. Yes its her red calf. She was bred to a polled black Limousin bull when i bought her but my luck had a red calf with horns. No homozygous polled or black i guess. The calf will still bring more than i gave for her last spring.

Good looking cattle

How many acres of stockpile do you figure per cow? I have fescue but also have other grasses mixed in so not a solid stand, with that in mind would I need to overseed or no-till another cool season annual in or just figure on more acres per head?
I haven't found any cool season grass that will match up with what fescue will produce. As i stated i only have 1 acre of flat land so no no-till. I have frost seeded fescue and had some success. I will unroll hay on it late in the winter and it will help some. Soil test is the best thing i can do. And fertilize to the test results. Then urea around the first of September. The last 2 falls it has been very dry so results weren't good.

20231223_132705.jpg
Just a little info on how i do it. The tire trough and mineral feeder is in a central hub. Cattle can access it from 4 paddocks. I have them in 1/4 acre of the right paddock now. I already have the poly wire up to give them almost an acre in the center paddock probably Monday. I made that section bigger because as you can see part of it has trees and some brown area with little grass. When i turn them in the middle i will move the poly wire in the right paddock so they will go back there is 3 or 4 days. I go back and forth every few days until both areas have been grazed. Then I will begin on the next paddock.

You can see some white gallon jugs in the tire trough. Each of those have a couple cups of salt in them and then filled half full of water. The water inside the jugs won't freeze and until it gets very cold and will keep a small area around each jug free of ice. Didnt chop ice last winter at all.
The float for the trough is in the hillside outside the hub. Nothing in the trough to freeze or tear up. Will get pictures of that tomorrow.Screenshot_20231223_195053_Chrome.jpg

You can see some white gallon jugs in the tire trough. Each of those have a couple cups of salt in them and then filled half full of water. The water inside the jugs won't freeze and until it gets very cold and will keep a small area around each jug free of ice. Didnt chop ice last winter at all.
The float for the trough is in the hillside outside the hub. Nothing in the trough to freeze or tear up. Will get pictures of that tomorrow.View attachment 38558
Spring water refrigeration method? Lol

Cows sure are fat and happy!

I had to chop on the pond 4 days in a row last year I I'm remembering right. That stuff is for the birds. I sure do like where we live.

Spring water refrigeration method? Lol

Cows sure are fat and happy!

I had to chop on the pond 4 days in a row last year I I'm remembering right. That stuff is for the birds. I sure do like where we live.
Hmmmm spring water dont freeze. But cant chance loosing a gallon. Lol

you have better grass than me
The difference is its fescue. Great in the winter. I didn't protein test this year but in years past i have had it as high as 19% protein.
Also on another farm a guy hadn't had cattle in probably 8 years. Maybe 7 or 8 acres of overgrown fescue. Because of water i cant strip graze it but put 7 cows there. Dont expect to feed them anything. Not a big deal but not feeding 7 cows will help. I just look across the road at them as i feed some steers.

Last edited:
I haven't found any cool season grass that will match up with what fescue will produce. As i stated i only have 1 acre of flat land so no no-till. I have frost seeded fescue and had some success. I will unroll hay on it late in the winter and it will help some. Soil test is the best thing i can do. And fertilize to the test results. Then urea around the first of September. The last 2 falls it has been very dry so results weren't good.
You won't find a cool season grass that can produce as much stockpile forage and of the quality that tall fecsue (endophyte infected) can either. It is the undisputed king in this reguard. There are aspects that make it undesirable at times though.

You won't find a cool season grass that can produce as much stockpile forage and of the quality that tall fecsue (endophyte infected) can either. It is the undisputed king in this reguard. There are aspects that make it undesirable at times though.
I had never in my life heard that fescue can be bad for cows, until joining CT. All my life, 95% of the pastures for cattle, beef or dairy, have been fescue. Now, I have known all of my life to not let pregnant mares eat it, but never heard anything about cows.

I've got about 30 acres of hardwoods on my place that I would like to silvopasture, I've noticed in areas with alot of shade that it never goes to seed, wonder if there would be less effect from the endophyte in heavily shaded areas since it doesn't go to seed?

Latest posts