Tulsa state fair

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
Got to go with my sweet and lovely, and I'll tell you, made me gain a whole lot of respect for the show people! A great fair, and sooo many hard working folks, had a wonderful time and got to view so much great livestock! Oh, and if you get to go, the oklahoma cattlemens association's rib eye sandwich IS everything it's cracked up to be, delicious!

Seems like every fair I go to these days there is some association selling Rib Eye sandwiches... And yes, I have one every chance I get!! Love them!

I have a tremendous respect for the show folks. They are dedicated and have a passion most commercial producers simply don't have. I appreciate that you have made that observation. Those people love cattle.

Bright Raven said:
I have a tremendous respect for the show folks. They are dedicated and have a passion most commercial producers simply don't have. I appreciate that you have made that observation. Those people love cattle.

BR I will agree with you that registered and show cattle folks are dedicated and have a passion. I also disagree that most commercial folks lack that same level of dedication and passion. I think it's easy for some people in the sectors to sometimes look down on commercial producers simply because it doesn't get the fanfare and bright lights. I know folks in all sectors and there is about the same level of dedication and passion across the board. If I did not have a dedicated passion for it I would be doing something else believe me. We care for our animals as much as anyone in the show crowd just in different ways. We have had many late late nights and long days just making sure these cattle have what they need. We put thought and planning into breeding selections. Put thought into replacements, It's not a robotic gate cut whatever process. We get attached and hate to see any of them suffer, and do everything in our ability to treat and help them. My wife had been in tears a couple of times over the last week over the cow that got in pond. We are taking food and water to her multiple times daily. Commercial producers are and have been getting a bad deal from all ends which could explain a possibility for lack of enthusiasm. Believe me we are putting everything we have literally into cattle only to be squeezed tighter each season. It may be that some of the show and registered folks need to use their positions and bright lights pulpits to bring awareness to the reality of the cattle business across the board. Without commercial producers there would be little market for registered stock. It should be a symbiotic relationship.

ill take a commercial producer in a tight situation anyday...and their enthusiasm is all together different ...like Cowboys and show horse people..

Ky hills said:
Bright Raven said:

BR I will agree with you that registered and show cattle folks are dedicated and have a passion. I also disagree that most commercial folks lack that same level of dedication and passion. I think it's easy for some people in the sectors to sometimes look down on commercial producers simply because it doesn't get the fanfare and bright lights. I know folks in all sectors and there is about the same level of dedication and passion across the board. If I did not have a dedicated passion for it I would be doing something else believe me. We care for our animals as much as anyone in the show crowd just in different ways. We have had many late late nights and long days just making sure these cattle have what they need. We put thought and planning into breeding selections. Put thought into replacements, It's not a robotic gate cut whatever process. We get attached and hate to see any of them suffer, and do everything in our ability to treat and help them. My wife had been in tears a couple of times over the last week over the cow that got in pond. We are taking food and water to her multiple times daily. Commercial producers are and have been getting a bad deal from all ends which could explain a possibility for lack of enthusiasm. Believe me we are putting everything we have literally into cattle only to be squeezed tighter each season. It may be that some of the show and registered folks need to use their positions and bright lights pulpits to bring awareness to the reality of the cattle business across the board. Without commercial producers there would be little market for registered stock. It should be a symbiotic relationship.
Well said, thank you!!

I never meant to start a controversy, I just never gave the respect, that I believe the show people deserve. I am a commercial guy, always will be.

snoopdog said:
I never meant to start a controversy, I just never gave the respect, that I believe the show people deserve. I am a commercial guy, always will be.

You didn't start any controversy. I reckon I started it when I responded to a statement in a following post. My wife is from Oklahoma and has been to that fair as well. I used to go to our KY state fairs and the North American every year, always enjoyed seeing the cattle and other livestock. You are right the steak sandwiches that the associations serve at those events are good. I also always enjoyed the milkshake from the dairy producers stand too.

Ky hills said:
snoopdog said:

You didn't start any controversy. I reckon I started it when I responded to a statement in a following post. My wife is from Oklahoma and has been to that fair as well. I used to go to our KY state fairs and the North American every year, always enjoyed seeing the cattle and other livestock. You are right the steak sandwiches that the associations serve at those events are good. I also always enjoyed the milkshake from the dairy producers stand too. Now you got my mouth waterin for a milkshake, dang. May have to go back to the fair.

snoopdog said:
Ky hills said:
snoopdog said:

You didn't start any controversy. I reckon I started it when I responded to a statement in a following post. My wife is from Oklahoma and has been to that fair as well. I used to go to our KY state fairs and the North American every year, always enjoyed seeing the cattle and other livestock. You are right the steak sandwiches that the associations serve at those events are good. I also always enjoyed the milkshake from the dairy producers stand too. Now you got my mouth waterin for a milkshake, dang. May have to go back to the fair.

I was hoping to get to go to our state fair this year but it didn't work out. Y'all have Braum's there in OK, pretty darn good ice cream there too. I wish they would spread on eastward.

My daughter will be doing the calf scramble Friday night during the prca rodeo at the Tulsa state fair. She is a tough 17 year old that I thought was a shoe-in to win but Saturday night we had a major car accident. We are both really bruised up. I hope it doesn't interfere with her during the scramble. This is her senior year so her only chance at it. She is very excited. She is one of those kids that loves showing animals. She does beef and dairy cattle. This year she dabbled in sheep and goats a little. Wish her luck

Ky hills said:
snoopdog said:
Ky hills said:

I was hoping to get to go to our state fair this year but it didn't work out. Y'all have Braum's there in OK, pretty darn good ice cream there too. I wish they would spread on eastward.
Oh yeah, Braums is big here. We get a better shelf life from their milk, and they have wonderful grocery items in addition to the ice cream.

snoopdog said:
Ky hills said:

Oh yeah, Braums is big here. We get a better shelf life from their milk, and they have wonderful grocery items in addition to the ice cream.
Hubby wanted to take me to a nice restaurant for my birthday but my pick was Braum's. Love me a Jr Bacon Cheeseburger combo with a chocolate shake!!! I'm not proud - I'm a cheap date ;-)

Back to KY hills comments. Not a controversy - just truth.
PLEASE Alacowman - don't ever compare cattle show people with HORSE people. Totally different world.
There are "show people" that do a horrible job caring for their animals. Sometimes I see kids showing an animal that I can't believe they (and especially their parents) can't see how starved/parasitic they really are. And, it's not just 4-H animals. I see adults dragging cattle around that should be in the pampered ward to try to get weight on them.
Most of my bull sales go to commercial operations - well run farms. I run my farm like a commercial operation.
I don't think anyone was slamming any operations. There are just as many bad PB farms. Just because you take the time to keep records & register cattle, doesn't make you a good farmer.

Wasnt comparing the horse and cattle ""show"" folks together...theres a difference in some horse show people,and the cowboy/horseman..one is just as enthusiastic as the other .ones just not in the spotlight..I've been around both enough to know the difference ....and even when someone is slamming..

snoopdog said:
Got to go with my sweet and lovely, and I'll tell you, made me gain a whole lot of respect for the show people! A great fair, and sooo many hard working folks, had a wonderful time and got to view so much great livestock! Oh, and if you get to go, the oklahoma cattlemens association's rib eye sandwich IS everything it's cracked up to be, delicious!

My favorite part of the whole shabang!

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Back to KY hills comments. Not a controversy - just truth.
PLEASE Alacowman - don't ever compare cattle show people with HORSE people. Totally different world.
There are "show people" that do a horrible job caring for their animals. Sometimes I see kids showing an animal that I can't believe they (and especially their parents) can't see how starved/parasitic they really are. And, it's not just 4-H animals. I see adults dragging cattle around that should be in the pampered ward to try to get weight on them.
Most of my bull sales go to commercial operations - well run farms. I run my farm like a commercial operation.
I don't think anyone was slamming any operations. There are just as many bad PB farms. Just because you take the time to keep records & register cattle, doesn't make you a good farmer.

Thank you Jeanne. I don't think that BR was out to truly "slam" commercial producers, I just picked up on a couple lines in his post that I disagreed with in terms of the context. Had those few words not been in the post I would have agreed whole heartedly, maybe even liked the post and moved on without commenting at all.
You are correct I think that there is a wide range of outfits purebred and commercial, and a lot of overlap between in terms of management. I am in the commercial end now but have been in registered cattle circles for several years as well across several breeds. I have witnessed some registered breeders make ridiculous statements such as they wouldn't sell to a commercial person even heard someone say they hated them. I thought at the time what a bunch of idiots because all of my customer base was commercial folks that I truly enjoyed meeting and talking cattle with. I learned a lot from some of those commercial folks. The registered folks that I was close to and around the most appreciated their commercial customers and realized with out them they would not be in business.
Also in regards to record keeping, most commercial operations keep records as well. With prices at the points they have been for years it is necessary to know what is going on. I would venture to say record keeping is as vital to a commercial farm as it is to a registered. Those records are the real EPD's and ratios in each farm for their environment, and it's a high stakes serious business with no room for margins of error.

Half your calf crop is males. Unlike many PB breeders, I do not believe just because they are registered they should be kept a bull. So, about 1/2 my crop gets sold based on the commercial market. And the commercial market has huge influence on our "top dollar" pricing. When no one is getting good money for their steers, then no one has the extra money to spend on high dollar cattle. All our operations are affected by this poor market.

Latest posts