Tuli Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms":1u53jiiz said:
Maybe when I see a Tangus bull (hey I just created another one), I might give it a try.

How about a Simuli??? or Simgu??? Can you imagine a 20 inch Ribeye that is marbled like "Dad"'s avatar and so tender you can cut it with a fork!! MMMMMMMM, who's hungry?!?!

Doc Harris
If you would like to see the research I was trying to link to, this may help. Try the link again and I'll try to direct you from there. When the page comes up and says it can't be found there is a link you can click on that will bring it up. It is
uvalde.tamu.edu. If you click on that and then do the following you should be able to open it. Sorry for the trouble, but it is worth a look!

When the page comes up just go to publications, then Livestock. There are many articles from Texas A&M University. The one I was refering to is under Adapted Breeds.
The 7th one down titled "Tropically Adapted Beef Cattle: Reproduction of First-Calf Females on South Texas Rangeland"

I hope this helps. Have a great day

Arnold Ziffle":3n7097ss said:
Doc, "mom" and "dad" --- for a few pretty recent reports on tropically adapted breeds, including Tuli, you may find the following from Texas A & M to be of interest:

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/ansc/beef ... gton_2.pdf

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/ansc/beef ... ingham.pdf
Thanks all! The majority of all this information is eye-opening to say the least! I was impressed with the traits that really mean something to the beef breeder - fertility, calving ease, phenotype, marbling, rib-eye, docility - - all the things that we have been stressing are discussed by many of the same researchers in most of these articles and papers. It is a good read and well worth the effort.

DOC HARRIS

Here are a couple of Tuli cows

cowandcalf.jpg

Fullblood Tuli Cow and Waguli calf

dscf00282.jpg

Fullblood Tuli Cow

Man thats some long headed cattle there MOM.

I read some more info on Tuli last night. It does sound good. One thing that I noticed was that they seemed to be somewhat smaller (when comparing to Senepol and Brahman). How large/small of a cow are they???

cypressfarms":3oed72c7 said:

I read some more info on Tuli last night. It does sound good. One thing that I noticed was that they seemed to be somewhat smaller (when comparing to Senepol and Brahman). How large/small of a cow are they???

cypressfarms
I have to agree, the pictures make their head look a little larger than they really are.

The frame of a Tuli cow is a little larger than a Senepol , but obvisously smaller than Brahman.

Mature Tuli cows will weigh 1100-1200 lbs. on average.
Bulls will weigh 1900-2100 pounds.
Of course, + or - depending on condition.

Mom at the Ranch":3m5lws6w said:
cypressfarms":3m5lws6w said:

cypressfarms
I have to agree, the pictures make their head look a little larger than they really are.

The frame of a Tuli cow is a little larger than a Senepol , but obvisously smaller than Brahman.

Mature Tuli cows will weigh 1100-1200 lbs. on average.
Bulls will weigh 1900-2100 pounds.
Of course, + or - depending on condition.
The 1100#-1200# cow weight is in the current optimal desired range. I would like to see a more level rump, although this may be a breed characteristic - similar to bos indicus. Is that correct, or is it just individualistic?

DOC HARRIS

I posted an answer to Doc Harris on Friday, but lost it in the system-typical technophobe. It would seem you have been given enough websites to answer most of your queries. The only negative observations I have heared over the years has been their size. Their medium frame is essential to their low maintenance, I never winter fed whereas neighbours with larger framed cattle had to. I have crossed them with simmental for a coustomer who used an Angus as the terminal sire. The Tuli is heat resistant, fertile, disease and paracite resistant, with an exelent carcase quality, any size or conformation problem can be addressed by crossbreeding. They hybidise well with all the popular British beef breeds, Brahman and their derivitives, and several continental breeds all showing a high degree of heterosis and prepotent for the positive Tuli charactaristics. I would be pleased to answer any other questions as best as I can. Sorry Cypressfarms, I gain nothing by sharing my experience as I have no Tuli cattle at present nor any financial interest in any U.S.A. herd, but intend starting up again next year, so if I solicit too much interest in the breed I may well literally pay the price when I buy on a sellers market next year. I answered the origional query as I feel the Tuli has been an underrated breed for far too long![Anyway, there is a certain amount of national pride involved].

Mom at the Ranch":pk8du625 said:
Here are a couple of Tuli cows

cowandcalf.jpg

Fullblood Tuli Cow and Waguli calf

dscf00282.jpg

Fullblood Tuli Cow
those tuli moma's look pretty good. like the small teats. also got a little more rump than most brahman. looks like they would cross well with most bos taurus breeds

Aero, first point, the yellow and white Tuli carry the diluter gene, the reds will throw dark calves.
Second point, yes I accidently posted the link on the wrong thread and forgot to come back and edit it! nothing unusual for me!

Alacowman, the udders are one of the features most often commented on as nobody I know has culled on poor udders, the most popular cross in the USA is with the Red Angus, but they do well with all the popular breeds.

cypressfarms":391iu7cs said:
Maybe when I see a Tangus bull (hey I just created another one), I might give it a try.

Maybe just try a few heifers?

Cypress,

Being I'm just up Hwy 1 from ya I'll try a few with you next year. If we can find a bull near.

Latest posts