Tube feeding question?????

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Friday, I had a heifer trying to calf. Long story short, I bought her as an open hiefer. I failed to lute her like should have last fall. She is tops 15 months old. Luckily she was way over 1000 pounds. I lost my working pens in a storm. She was to wild to tie to tree by myself. I had to wait to round up enough help to neck her to the side of my cow trailer. I got the calf out, but his head and tongue were swelled something awful. Might have been a bad call on my behalf, but with no good place to put the heifer, I stripped her out, and turned her loose. I brought the calf to the house. I have now been tubing him since Friday afternoon. I don't think he is brain damaged. I'm pretty sure his tongue just doesn't work like it should. What's the longest you've tubed one that was like this?

This is a case where patience is definitely a virtue. Keep trying. The calf's tongue obviously is bruised and hurt and that is why he is reluctant to use it.

A good sized drop of honey or molasses on his tongue might help stimulate the sucking reflex. As long as you are tubing him and the calf is making progress, there is hope. The calf should become a bit stronger each day until hopefully mother nature will take over.

Good luck!

I'll try the honey. Never heard of that. I try him on a bottle before I bag him. He just strangles, and never sucks.

Not sure what the longest I've ever tubed a calf is but it might have been a week.

Keep trying with offering the bottle first before tubing. If you're tubing more often than 2x a day or giving too much, lack of hunger might be additionally suppressing the suckle. He should come round eventually...
Never tried the honey, let us know if it works it sounds interesting.

Can you give him an anti inflammatory of some kind to decrease the swelling and discomfort? I have never had that happen, but it seems that if you could help with that, he may be more inclined to suck.

Probably a week for me too...man i hate when that happens. Just do it until nursing clicks in, its tube feeding or starve. Anti inflammatory is a great suggestion.

Tubed one for 2 weeks once. You might get some dexamethasone from the vet, should help with the swelling. If nothing else some aspirin.

He was very lively this morning, but wouldn't suck. The blue color in the tip of his tongue seems to be disapating a little. I treated him for scours yesterday. Seems over that. I've been giving him anti-inflamatories, but stopped this morning.

Bigfoot":1xwk48hs said:
He was very lively this morning, but wouldn't suck. The blue color in the tip of his tongue seems to be disapating a little. I treated him for scours yesterday. Seems over that. I've been giving him anti-inflamatories, but stopped this morning.

Very lively, tongue healing, over the scours. Things are looking up a bit :!: :banana: Keep us posted. :)

All I had was pancake syrup. I've tried that twice since John posted about it. I bet it would work great on some calves. He is nosing the kids, and the walls when he is hungry, just no inclination to suck.

I had a calf born during the ice storm we found comatose and a body temp near fatal. We brought him in and set him a bed at the wood stove and i put a hair dryer on him to help speed the heat. He laid there for 24 hours. We tubed him colostrum i keep frozen that i harvest from cows that lose a calf. He was a big calf, around 90 lbs. The next morning he showed signs of life so he went out to the greenhouse with all the other tragedies of the ice storm. I tubed fed him for a week, never once did he ever show he was hungry and wouldnt even try to nurse a bottle. He was the last calf out of the greenhouse. One day, he stood up on his own and lacklusterly nursed a bottle, hence his name Lackluster. He could stand, he showed a little interest in nursing so to avoid his mother totally giving up, i put him back out with her and bagged him in the pasture. I bagged him at least once out there and i supplemented him with a bottle a couple days. One day i went out and his mother was nursed dry and i havent had to do a thing since...Moral to the story is, never give up...

Bigfoot, can you put him with another calf and it's mother in a pen. Might just need to see what to do.

highgrit":29sxr2go said:
Bigfoot, can you put him with another calf and it's mother in a pen. Might just need to see what to do.

Naw a tornado got my pens.

The monster energy drink is the trick. Never seen anything like it. Calf sucked like he was bottle broke this morning. Totally sold on it. The literature on the net is sketchy on details. I used half a can.

That will sure make things a little easier. That's ashame with the pens, I saw what was left of your barns.

I learned as a child it's only a "set back if you stay back". I'll be back running soon.

Latest posts