True forgiveness

Help Support CattleToday:

ctlbaron

Reaction score
I heard on the radio this morning that the Omish people who lost children in the school shooting this week are collecting money for the widow and children of the man who killed their children. That my friends is forgiveness. It would be hard for me to be that gracious. :heart:

Carlos D.":8wfu27tl said:
THAT truly is admiral. I quess they know its better to forgive than hate; after all if you continue to hate-- that suckers just living rent free in your head

carl

That is so true, Carlos. The actual victims of violent crimes are not the only victims...the ones left behind are, also...and they are the ones that have to continue living. Forgiveness is not just the kind we all learned in Sunday School and Church. It also is something that keeps us from reliving day in and day out the hate, and hurt, and misery of losing a loved one in such a horrific way.

When I took a victimology class in college, I challenged the prof..."Why should any one expect the families left behind to forgive the monster that did this to their child." She explained it very well. There is another kind of forgivess, such as when you forgive a debt...you come to terms that you are not going to get repaid, and you let it go.

These people live their religion...they just don't visit it in church.

Alice

ctlbaron":w2svyz3s said:
I heard on the radio this morning that the Omish people who lost children in the school shooting this week are collecting money for the widow and children of the man who killed their children. That my friends is forgiveness. It would be hard for me to be that gracious. :heart:

Thank you for posting this...I had not read about it yet. It is, indeed, a true act of forgiveness.

Alice

the man's children and wife are also victims here....can you imagine what they will go through over the next few years? the amish believe that god sends all to us for a reason, even if we have no idea of what the reason is....that is called real faith. may god be kind to them all....

I believe that forgiveness is a choice, but if you are truly Christian, it is something you must do, no matter what. I think, too, that forgiveness is a part of the healing process. Hate is a poison you can't keep in your heart.

That being said, I don't know if I am that good of a person. If that were my community, my little girl, well, I don't know how I would feel. It is too far outside my mind to even comtemplate.

And other posters are also right. This guy is dead. He has to face The Maker. What is left behind are his wife and children to pick up the pieces. They can't be held responsible for his actions. They have to try and have a life now that they have been shamed and wronged by this man they trusted as a husband and a father.

That experience, too, is beyond anything I can imagine.

God bless them all.

It is admirable that they would do this. I think the last thing on my mind at the time of mourning would be the well being of the killers family. Not because I would have hatred towards them, they two are victims. But the mourning of something this tragic would be pretty consuming personally.

Never gave the Amish much thought except the few time I saw some in Missouri. But their handling of this whole thing has gave me a bunch of respect and admiration for them.

ctlbaron":37pys4v9 said:

Yes, it is. I also heard on the radio that the Amish community has told the family that, if they decided to stay in the are, that they would be welcomed. I don't know much about the Amish people, but I thought that was very cool!

Years ago, I lived in Alabama. An old man and woman ran a gambling joint out of their house. Invitation only. One night three men forced their way in and brutally beat them within inches of their life. Police arrested them later. At the hearing the couple dropped all charges and the men walked free. Forgiveness? I don't know. None of their friends or family ever saw them again. I guess they left town.

That being said, if someone hurt anyone in my family - I think I would extend the same form of forgiveness but I would not hold it against the person's family.

But then again, we don't know what we would actually do until we are faced with the same situation. I hope for all our sakes we never are. My thoughts and prayers go out for the families affected by this.

Somehow,he had hidden his real self from his wife and kids...I hope all of them are in counceling,'cause they need it badly....The Amish will forgive,and be alright with wife and kids,but there are other people in the community..I don't know where they could go to get away from the stigma,so staying there is probbily the best thing ..

Latest posts