Dreams coming true

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
Right now all our cattle are at my parents farm. We also bought one about 7 years ago that's 5 acres and we use it as a rental and for our cows as its just too far off the path for me to live.

Well my dreams came true and last week we bought a nice 5 acre parcel! It is agricultural land but is in the middle of a large row home subdivision. So its like living in the burbs but also enjoying the country life. I plan to bring all my pet cows over and the calves each year so I can just enjoy them at my door step. We are going to have to build almost a new house, which is also exciting.

My dreams are coming true and I cannot wait to continue to build my cow hoarding issue :cowboy:

5 acre housing lot in the Middle of a suburban home subdivision with dream of cows and calves
at doorstep. I know nothing of Canadian zoning laws, but my 1st thought is, one person's dream
might well be another neighbor's nightmare. :)

All the same, best wishes and good luck.

Son of Butch said:
5 acre housing lot in the Middle of a suburban home subdivision with dream of cows and calves
at doorstep. I know nothing of Canadian zoning laws, but my 1st thought is, one person's dream
might well be another neighbor's nightmare. :)

All the same, best wishes and good luck.

This farm has been around 50 years in this community. I run a business where I sell eggs and produce as well so I think they will enjoy it. When the property for sale signs went up the owner told us the neighbors left notes about how sad it will be to lose it in their community. They thought it would be sold to a developer because lots wanted it. The owner was adamant about selling it to a family that would farm the land.

Go for it as, those other neighbors may enjoy it also. Get a few chickens, roosters, peacocks, pigs, ginnys also.

Peacocks can be incessant screamers... especially if they are cold.
Several years ago it made the news when someone called 911 during the night when they mistook
their suburban neighbor's peacock screams for those of a woman being brutalized.

Because of their screaming, it's recommended to house them away from your home, which on
5 acres means over there by the neighbor's house. :) That's gotta get old after awhile.

Son of Butch said:
Peacocks can be incessant screamers... especially if they are cold.
Several years ago it made the news when someone called 911 during the night when they mistook
their suburban neighbor's peacock screams for those of a woman being brutalized.

Because of their screaming, it's recommended to house them away from your home, which on
5 acres means over there by the neighbor's house. :) That's gotta get old after awhile.
My neighbor across the river (you've seen the pics of how far away that is) has peacocks.. yes, they're loud... especially in the evenings when they go roost
And their screams do sound like "HELP, HELP"

ohiosteve said:
Sounds to me like a potential gold mine for selling farm to table for you. Congrats!

EXACTLY!!! I am already selling a ton of eggs locally but this is going to boom my business huge! I am going to sell eggs, chicken, flowers and produce. The property already has a massive running garden. 300lbs of blueberries so far this year!

ohiosteve said:
In all honesty I can easily see people from suburbia paying 5 even 10 dollars a dozen for locally grown eggs.

I sell eggs all day at $5/dozen. I stock my cooler and 10 minutes later its all gone. I am doing about $100 a day in egg sales right now at my front door. I plan to add 200 more chickens to my new place

Nesikep said:
ohiosteve said:
Sounds to me like a potential gold mine for selling farm to table for you. Congrats!
Or for selling to said developers :p

I literally get giddy thinking about the developers trying to by my place in the future :banana:

cowgal604 said:
Nesikep said:
ohiosteve said:
Or for selling to said developers :p

I literally get giddy thinking about the developers trying to by my place in the future :banana:

You have a solid business model. Congrats!

Latest posts