Trucker owner operators?

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Is there anyone who owns their own truck on here? Are you making any money now with the high diesel costs, etc... What is it really like to be a owner/operator, or own the truck and leased on to a company?

Any input would be helpful.

GMN

I was an OO back in the '80's, early '90's. Much to love about it then, much to not love. Different game now, I guess. But probably much the same.

I did it in the 70s and 80s. Don't know about the money nowadays but some things stay the same.
Some bad points.
1. Being away from home for weeks at a time.
2. D.O.T.
3. Dispatchers lie.
4. Shipping and recieving clerks are always having a bad day the day you are there.
5. Different interstate speed limits depending on the state you are in. IMHO Ohio and Va are the worst for picking on truckers for speeding.
6.Dispatchers lie.
7. Lot lizards
8. Flat tires in the middle of the nite in the middle of no where.
9. Trucks cost BIG money and if you own it all the expenses are yours.
10. You spend a lot of time alone.
11. Dispatchers lie.
Some good points.
1. This is a beautiful country and you are getting paid to see it.
2. You'll meet some really good people.
3. You're your own boss to a certain extent. You have to make enough money to pay the truck payment so don't expect to be able to spend a lot of time not turning your wheels.
4. There's nobody looking over your shoulder telling you how to do your job.
5. You get to spend a lot of time alone.

I have some fond memories of trucking over the road. I did it for 15 years. I've been a local driver for the last 15 years. I have never missed the road but I have friends that got off and then went back because it became their *lifestyle*. I'm glad it didn't get into my blood like that.

One of the larger packers is paying $.0105 per cwt per mile now. Still making a profit at that.

I also was an OO back in the 70's and 80's. Lot of headaches.
I hear ther's a lot of OO parking their trucks lately on account of fuel prices.

A dispatcher has to complete 2yrs of liar schooling before becoming a dispatcher.

Cal

I'll add to the unanimous chorus of dispatch bashers because the pathological deceitfulness of dispatchers can't be overstated.

One problem I used to have to deal with, and It's probably worse now, was finding a parking place. Two things I'm sure have made trucking easier in this day and age are cell phones and GPS mapping systems.

Now i have several times seen them lot lizards go from truck to truck.
And them trucks were parked about 6ft from each other with no showers in between.
It didn't take me long to figure out that I didn't want them in my truck.

Pulled into the Pressley truck stop down on I 20 one night. There were cops all around and an ambulance.
When I went in the talk was a lot lizard shot a driver because he didn't pay.
Guess the meant buisness down there.

Cal

GMN":2gzzh88j said:
Is there anyone who owns their own truck on here? Are you making any money now with the high diesel costs, etc... What is it really like to be a owner/operator, or own the truck and leased on to a company?

Any input would be helpful.

GMN

Yes, we own two. No, we don't lease onto a company. The jury is still out as to whether we are making any money, but the truck/trailer, fuel bills, and insurance payments are being made so we are doing ok for now.

We also had a few in the 90's... we had gravel trucks first, then went to OTR. (Hubby, not me. Can't sit still that long)

We kept one truck when we moved to Texas, and he has a dozer business now. Uses the truck to haul the machinery, and really comes in handy when we need hay and it's $90 a bale down here. I think it would be very hard to make much of an income doing it now.. with fuel prices, and DOT watching how many hours you drive.

We have 2 semi's. This time of year things are a little slow. In a couple of weeks we will have both of them hauling grains to and from elevators. One hauls anhydrous in the spring and fall , the other just grain and hay . This spring we made more money than ever hauling anhydrous and this fall is looking like it will be just as good. These trucks sit 70% of the time and yet make a great deal of cash.

No I'm not a dispatcher. We actually have 3 semi's and several trailers. One is used just for the farm the other two we have commercial plates on them so we can haul for other people as well as ourselves. As far as grain goes we have our own authority to haul . With anhydrous we get leased on with another hauler. Commercially our trucks haven't moved since the first of June. We are starting to haul our own hay now and as soon as harvest gets under way they will be busy for 6 weeks or so. They will then sit until the end of March. What little they do commercially more than pays for them and the insurance it takes to keep them.

ND Angus":2p598jsi said:
No I'm not a dispatcher. We actually have 3 semi's and several trailers. One is used just for the farm the other two we have commercial plates on them so we can haul for other people as well as ourselves. As far as grain goes we have our own authority to haul . With anhydrous we get leased on with another hauler. Commercially our trucks haven't moved since the first of June. We are starting to haul our own hay now and as soon as harvest gets under way they will be busy for 6 weeks or so. They will then sit until the end of March. What little they do commercially more than pays for them and the insurance it takes to keep them.

I'm not saying you are wrong,ND Angus. But in all the time I was owner operator when my rig was setting it was just costing money. I would be interested to know how a truck can set that long and still make you money. :shock: :shock:
I must have been doing something wrong.

Cal

When our trucks are moving they are MOVING! If they are moving they are making $$$$$$ . We Don't and won't haul for under a certain price. Many guys haul just to keep busy , why?? If your not making cash don't do it. One truck on anhydrous will profit after expenses $ 50,000 in 2/12 to 3 months . Why spend the other 9 or 10 months hauling just to haul? We had a record year this last year $123,000 in 4 months , this was odd and way above normal and we hauled an extra month. Grain hauling is a little different , we don't make as much but still make a good profit. In our partnership my brother-in-law is the trucker he is the only one who counts on the trucking income.

ND Angus":r6wrqxt2 said:
When our trucks are moving they are MOVING! If they are moving they are making $$$$$$ . We Don't and won't haul for under a certain price. Many guys haul just to keep busy , why?? If your not making cash don't do it. One truck on anhydrous will profit after expenses $ 50,000 in 2/12 to 3 months . Why spend the other 9 or 10 months hauling just to haul? We had a record year this last year $123,000 in 4 months , this was odd and way above normal and we hauled an extra month. Grain hauling is a little different , we don't make as much but still make a good profit. In our partnership my brother-in-law is the trucker he is the only one who counts on the trucking income.

I just can't believe the freight on anhydrous has increased that much since the 70's and 80's.Whats the rate going for now? $40 a mile,and if you can do $50,000 in 2 to 3 mos.Wouldn't it make sence to haul all year and make around $200,000? I hauled grain a little and back when I was trucking it was one of the lowest paying loads out there.
I've hauled anhydrous before and it's an easy haul.But as far as not hauling under a certain price,well sometimes you gotta take a load that don't pay much more than fuel to get back into an area that you can get a good paying load out of. If you are doing it the way you say you are you have found a gold mine. Never hauled freight where just three months of hauling would pay me wages,pay truck insurance,truck payments,tags,medical insurance,and all state and road tax.
You better never let your secret out or every owner operator in the states will be there to undercut you.

Sorry but I believe you're trying some Bullship here. It's hard to get ahead of a person from Texas
in the bull shipping department.

Cal

Nope , No BS here. Finding owner /operators to haul anhydrous here in ND is tough. Grain haulers are a dime a dozen . We don't haul alot of grain but do keep busy for a month or two in the fall. Anhydrous season is only 6 to 8 weeks in the spring and maybe 3 weeks in the fall. When you go you GO! .

Latest posts