Classic Car Owner?

Help Support CattleToday:

Years ago, before coming back to the farm, I had a '66 Corvette convertible. Both tops. 427 big block, 515 hp. 4 speed Hurst shifter, side pipes. Elkhart green. I also had a 1970 LT-1 Corvette convertible also with both tops. The LT-1 was a small block 350 with 370hp. 650 Holley. 4 speed. Silver with black leather interior. Air conditioning was not an option as it took away from the horsepower. Hooker headers & side pipes. The '66 went to some collector in Dallas and the '70 went to a guy in Washington state. My parents thought I couldn't be part of the farm and own cars like that so it was STRONGLY suggested they be sold. What a mistake.

Jogeephus":66bzixrv said:
I have a 64 1/2 Ford Mustang in the garage. I parked it there 19 years ago and haven't moved it since. Its got 67,000 miles on it. Everything is original except the horn. It broke and was replaced.

Bet that's worth a pretty penny! Last time I priced those they were getting $$$$. Color?

Caustic Burno":34krigh6 said:
Wished I still had my 69 GTO it was bad to the bone, cousin had a 68 Super Bee 383 magnum with three deuces that car was scary fast.
Actually looked at a 67 GTO last week almost got weak enough to write the check.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the condition and asking price?

Mopar muscle cars have really started fetching some money.

dun":3pn87k1e said:
Guy up that roads shop

Always thought the first T-birds were neat cars. About like your Model A though, I don't think I'd be physically able to drive one!

my dad has a frame off restored 67 camaro with a LT4 corvette engine/drivetrain in it.

also has a 09 vette

he doesn't let me drive them.. hahaa

i used to have mustangs and such but i doubt if one of those cars would make it down my lane . haha

cfpinz":1ceos3dp said:
Caustic Burno":1ceos3dp said:
Wished I still had my 69 GTO it was bad to the bone, cousin had a 68 Super Bee 383 magnum with three deuces that car was scary fast.
Actually looked at a 67 GTO last week almost got weak enough to write the check.

It was fully restored and he was asking 45k.

That, is pretty much on the avg scale CB, for a well cared for and restored GTO.
I liked the goats a lot, but if I were going to invest time and $$ in one, it would have to be one with 389+tri-power. Because I'm good with floats and jets, and needles....and linkage.

Caustic Burno":17bv7g3z said:

Ouch, don't blame you for walking.

I paid $5100 for mine, though that was a few moons ago. At the time, it was a 20/20 show car - 20' and 20 MPH. All jokes aside, it's one of the better investments I've ever made, percentage-wise.

cfpinz":2ccrhj11 said:
Caustic Burno":2ccrhj11 said:

Ouch, don't blame you for walking.

I paid $5100 for mine, though that was a few moons ago. At the time, it was a 20/20 show car - 20' and 20 MPH. All jokes aside, it's one of the better investments I've ever made, percentage-wise.
Dam, you could buy 3 trucks for that much based on the junk you drive. Maybe 6 of those crappy dodges you've been driving lately

dun":y2qzl65i said:
Dam, you could buy 3 trucks for that much based on the junk you drive. Maybe 6 of those crappy dodges you've been driving lately

I'd still be driving Fords if they'd put stickshifts in them.

Lately we've been buying Cummins engines, sucks that the shipping containers are such a pile of crap.

cfpinz":3aymgzj7 said:
Caustic Burno":3aymgzj7 said:

Yea they have. I'd love to have a 68 charger or a 69 SuperBee but in order to get into the muscle car scene I had to start with the lowly A-bodies (darts, demons, Duster's, valiants, etc.) but I've come to LOVE the A-bodies and my 72 Duster has become my dream car and I don't think I'd ever get rid of it in order to get any other car.

That all said, now since the B and E bodies have been so high for so long that the A-body's are starting to go up now too

We bought a '72 Duster brand new. Guess I thought the 6 cyl would last forever. It was a dark blue color. I called it the blue lemon. It was a piece of sh*t. Windshield leaked with the slightest rain, driver's door would unlock when it wanted to, transmission leaked at 12,000 miles...

The first car that my wife and I bought was a 1956 Oldsmobile rocket 88 coupe. A/C unit located in the trunk. Baby blue and white. We bought it used in 1962 when we married. 850 dollars. Wish we still had it. Swapped it in on a 1963 Chevrolet Corvair coupe. Sorry excuse for a car.

hurleyjd":2shj7v7s said:
The first car that my wife and I bought was a 1956 Oldsmobile rocket 88 coupe. A/C unit located in the trunk. Baby blue and white. We bought it used in 1962 when we married. 850 dollars. Wish we still had it. Swapped it in on a 1963 Chevrolet Corvair coupe. Sorry excuse for a car.

Yep..what suspension engineer thought this was a good idea?

naderunsafespeed.cov3.gif

greybeard":2b29lqxj said:
hurleyjd":2b29lqxj said:

Yep..what suspension engineer thought this was a good idea?

naderunsafespeed.cov3.gif
Interesting. I knew that they had a bad name for rolling over but I had a 65 and it really handled well. Now I know why
Probably the same one that came up with "chemcally honed" cylinders a few years later. Don;t recall the moidel but after driving it hard for a couple of hours you would have more oil in the engine then you started. Hour or so later the gas that had gotten in the oil all went away. Burned up engines pretty fast too.

Had a '66 GTO with 389 and 3 duces. Sold it when I got a '61 TR3 and it got 27 MPG, and couldn't afford two cars. Had a "62 Jag XKE coupe, sold it when we moved to the country. Had a '69 Daytona Yellow Camaro. All were in excellent condition when I sold them, just had different priorities. I always think, what would they be worth now.

I've only owned one car in my life and it was a 1968 VW bug with Goodyear terra tracs. I don't care for cars and can't remember the last time that I rode in one.

One good thing I can say about the Corvair is the chrome on them was top notch. I have one that's been dumped in the woods on a farm and its been there as long as I can remember and the chrome is still shiny.