Not smart phone operators

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the computer age thread so I am starting my own.

My Dad past this last weekend. Not a big surprise, we knew it was coming. But literally 35 minutes after he had past it was posted on facebook. It was up there for an hour before they got ahold of me with the news. I am not a big facebook follower so I didn't see it but 3 out of my 5 kids found out about it from facebook before I could call them to tell them.

Smart phones aren't smart. And social media has no social graces. And common sense sure isn't very common anymore.

Sorry to hear that Dave. I've been thinking about you and him last week. My Dad was here hunting and I had a whole different outlook, because of you. You and your family has our prayers.

Dave":p3wobvkm said:
I didn't want to hijack the computer age thread so I am starting my own.

My Dad past this last weekend. Not a big surprise, we knew it was coming. But literally 35 minutes after he had past it was posted on facebook. It was up there for an hour before they got ahold of me with the news. I am not a big facebook follower so I didn't see it but 3 out of my 5 kids found out about it from facebook before I could call them to tell them.

Smart phones aren't smart. And social media has no social graces. And common sense sure isn't very common anymore.
I'm sorry for your loss Dave. I see it all the time and I have laid the law down with my family that no serious personal info is to be posted.

Sorry for your loss Dave. You're right about facebook that is BS that your kids had to learn about it that way.

Sorry for your loss Dave. When my close friend passed we made it clear to each person notified to not post on fb because not all the family had been notified yet. Even then some idiots decided it was up to them to inform the world.

I'm sorry for your loss Dave, as you know I'm in a bit of the same situation with my Dad. He's in the twilight of his life. I distain social media and as you said it has no social graces. I have one family member that will post anything and everything on Facebook. It's made other family members find things out I know she wish we didn't know, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that if you post it family and friends will know. I've had to call them more than once to tell them to take something down because because grandma and aunts have called me wondering what she is doing or going through. Sorry for the rant, but if I went through what you had to go through, loss of your father and posted on Facebook for other family members to find out their grandfather is gone I would blow my top.

Good luck and take care in this tough time.

Alan

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and wishes. It was and is one of those mixed emotion things. Dad had turned 89 the week before and he died peacefully in his sleep. I don't know that we can ask for much more than that. He had been diagnosed with terminal cancer just 30 days before he passed. So although he suffered during those 30 days it was certainly a lot quicker than it could have been. A friend and I had gone to see him on Saturday and he slept the entire time I was there. On Sunday morning in church without telling each other that friend and I both silently prayed the same prayer, "he has suffered enough, Jesus take him home." My brother was sitting with Dad so I know the time of his passing. It was within minutes of us saying that prayer.

As for the facebook poster. She is normally a very intelligent compassionate lady. She is hurting now too, so I haven't said anything to her. I will one day when the hurt isn't so fresh.

Dave , my deepest condolences on the loss of your Dad. Keeping you and your family in my prayers .

Some people just have to always be the first to say things, be it through voice or type . FB gives those "folks" just what they need . There is absolutely no excuse why they do it , it is just plain hurtful to everyone involved .

Sorry to hear about it, Dave but I doubt she thought she was doing anything wrong. My wife is the only reason I signed up for facebook. That gal can't eat breakfast without telling a couple of thousand friends what she ate and how it made her feel. I finally decided I needed to see what she was sharing real time so that I'd know what people that I barely know were talking about when they make comments on my personal life about things that they have no reason to know about...
But she's not like that at all in person. :???: It's like all sense of decorum and decency flies out the window as soon as she has a tidbit of drama she can type about. It pizzes me off and most of it is stupid day to day stuff but she just does not get it.

Condolences on losing your dad. Even though it was a peaceful passing and he lived a long life, you will miss him and have a grieving process to go thru.

I don't know what it is about facebook that makes some people lose their sense. I have seen some real melodramas played out in my circle of facebook friends, and you just shake your head and wonder what they were thinkin.

Latest posts