Truck Tranny Temp ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Now that I have modernized enough to have a transmission temp display - - what is a reasonable high operating temp before you start damaging anything?

Stocker Steve":2axon0fj said:
Now that I have modernized enough to have a transmission temp display - - what is a reasonable high operating temp before you start damaging anything?

Does it have a TRANS cooler ? mine runs around 190 pretty much all the time but I don't tow long distance

Stocker Steve":2o3lxlgv said:
It has a tranny cooler. Temp was 194 F pulling a light 2 wheel trailer during cool weather.

That should be normal as I said mine runs around 190 empty

I think you ought to be safe up to about 220F at least, and most likely 250 isn't going to cause any immediate damage... I'd pay close attention to the color and smell of the trans oil... brown and burnt smelling means you should change it soon.... and if you've got any hills, turn off the overdrive

The transmission temperature will usually follow a few degrees cooler than engine coolant temperature. If you want it to run cooler you will need to install an external (to the radiator) cooler. Plumb it in AFTER the fluid runs through the radiator cooler. Mine runs about the same as stated above. I've only seen mine run close to 200 degrees once while towing 26,000 pounds for a couple hundred miles. By the way, heat is the biggest killer of automatic transmissions so if you regularly tow heavy loads it would be a good idea to install an external cooler.

What year model? If I had an Allison I would make sure it's got the new improved upgraded fluid specified by Allison. I can't remember the name of it. It's easily googled. I wouldn't change what's in it untill the specified interval. Be carefull with condemning a " brown" colored synthetic as that is what they look like after being run a bit.

Kingfisher":4d18duyl said:
What year model? If I had an Allison I would make sure it's got the new improved upgraded fluid specified by Allison. I can't remember the name of it. It's easily googled. I wouldn't change what's in it untill the specified interval. Be carefull with condemning a " brown" colored synthetic as that is what they look like after being run a bit.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the new stuff. The year is a 2004 and I have just a little over 250K on it. Change the few pints of oil in the tranny pan every 30K or so. Kinda anxious to see the inside of this Allison as I haven't seen one since the late 50's. If this one is anything like those I may not live long enough to tear it down.

Checked my '08 Duramax/Allison today while pulling a trailer. Only 2 calves, but it ran 186* both ways. Slowed down in town and it dropped to 178*.

Latest posts