Trimming cattle hooves

Help Support CattleToday:

:lol: Went to that link regarding the immobilizer. Stress free :lol: huh? :lol:
Doubt that :lol: :lol:
I guess to each their own.
If I was going to to trim their hooves, I'd get the table.

SF":sfzcdmw3 said:
:lol: Went to that link regarding the immobilizer. Stress free :lol: huh? :lol:
Doubt that :lol: :lol:
I guess to each their own.
If I was going to to trim their hooves, I'd get the table.

I have never saw a table big enough for a cow, only calves up to 550 lbs.

We have put cows upwards of 1400lbs. and bulls up to 1800lbs on our table with no problems. If yall want, I can post pictures of the table when I get back to the ranch in a couple weeks.

Ryan

Ryan":2d2nnt5a said:
We have put cows upwards of 1400lbs. and bulls up to 1800lbs on our table with no problems. If yall want, I can post pictures of the table when I get back to the ranch in a couple weeks.

Ryan

ryan, what does one of those tables cost?

jt

There are a couple of guys in my area that trim hooves for the public. They have portable tables that cost around 4,000 dollars. I just use the rompom, but have not gotten the antidote to wake them up yet. I havent used the rompom in hot weather because the vet says it affects their ability to cool themselves and they can overheat and die of heat exhaustion. What is the antidote and how quickly does it get them up and has anyone used the rompom in hot weather with good results? Has anyone every killed an animal with rompom?

at $4000, most of us smaller guys (and maybe some of you big guys) are WAY better off to just cull that animal.

jmo

jt

jt":zyjhnapx said:
at $4000, most of us smaller guys (and maybe some of you big guys) are WAY better off to just cull that animal.

jmo

jt
The cattle industry in general will be better off if these cattle with undesirable, potentially inheritable traits are culled to slaughter.

JT, no way I could ever see a table paying for itself, but the commercial trimmers trim mostly dairy cows that spend all their lives on concrete and they usually trim 50 per day and at about 15-25 dollars per cow, they can afford them---for me, it is dart them to knock them out and trim them when they are sleeping----dart and rompum cost about 5 dollars, am waiting to hear from others about the stuff to wake them up

docgraybull":1jok4oaf said:
jt":1jok4oaf said:

jmo

jt
The cattle industry in general will be better off if these cattle with undesirable, potentially inheritable traits are culled to slaughter.

i agree totally... i cull em now, and i would cull em even if i had a table.

jt

jt":2vn42lmv said:
Ryan":2vn42lmv said:

Ryan

ryan, what does one of those tables cost?

jt

I don't know how much it would cost to buy, or build our table. We got the table for a couple hundred bucks, i think, mostly just to get it out of their way so they could tear down the building it was in.

Ryan

The only ones we trim are our cattle. Our place is so rocky, and full of hills and rough terrain that the pasture cattle have no trouble keeping their own hooves trimmed.

Ryan

I have only trimmed 1 cows feet several years ago. I do know a guy that has a home built table for cows. It has two metal post with 2 pillar block bearings. Attached to this is a wall with a floor. He uses straps to tie them to the wall and a winch to pull them over. He said the biggest problem was getting the center of gravity set at the right height. The whole outfit was probally less than $150. Next time I see him I'll ask him why he has it. I don't think he trims feet either.

Latest posts