Trick photography in bull flyers

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Last fall I went out and bought a bull, suddenly my mailbox is flooded with bull flyers (after I've bought one, and they'll give up by the time I need another).

There were lots of black ones (Angus and simmis), and man were they BLACK... some so much so that you just couldn't see the 3rd dimension on them, and the lighting was good too.. it was like you had a 'bull stencil' and painted blackpaint on it...

I was looking at all the bulls in there very closely, and saw some I quite liked... They all looked really nice and deep chested, but then I noticed they were standing in about 10" of straw... certainly doesn't give you a good idea of how the animal looks in person.. the next flyer they were all on packed sawdust, and they didn't look as chesty, though I'm fairly certain it's my eyes playing tricks on me.

Just goes to show.. you just have to see them all in person. I'm actually a little tempted to send them a letter saying I don't like not seeing their hooves.

I think this the link to the flyer in pdf form http://www.bclivestock.bc.ca/pdfs/2014- ... 192014.pdf

OK, here you go.. hope they work this time

issuu.com/t-bar-c/docs/bestbetweb[u...-bar-c/docs/bestbetweb?e=1954019/6891768[url]

This was discussed on another board as well, several sellers responded, depending on the time of year and the weather conditions; they put down straw, or corn stalks to get the animals out of the mud, it also helps with contrast in the pictures. Some are trying to hide flaws, but for the most part it has to do with ground conditions. Some do seem to get carried away with it though.
Now if they are in knee deep grass, I think that is worse, there is no reason you could not run a mower through your picture pen prior to taking pictures.

Speaking of flyers and spam snail mail, my mailbox stays flooded with random junk mail ever since I bought a reg angus bull (I don't even own the bull anymore). Any kind of cattle sale in the south I get a flyer on it along with farm supply catalogs. I'm guessing american angus sells members addresses.

VCC, this straw looked deliberately fluffed up... it's not that it had been laid down the day before and the bulls had laid down in it... it did work to make them all look deep chested.

I don't mind getting bull flyers, I like picking them apart, and it's something that only looking at a LOT of animals can you train your eye for... The rest of it is BS though

Nece down here you'll also notice some that will photoshop some of the pics especially on cattle with brahman influence. Amazing low they can clean up the sheath with a bit of photoshop as well as any other noticeable blemishes.

Not defending them but most will have a picture pen, they run one bull at a time to take the pictures, and they may take 10 to 30 pictures to get one good one. In some of the pictures the straw is lower, some it is at the knee. They may be hiding something they may not be, but that is why I would never buy on animal from a picture, I would want to see it myself first hand.

I think it was BRG from this site who explained why the straw.

If you look at sale picks you will also notice a lot of leaning fences, this is because the tilt the picture to make the top line look level, or they will set the animal up on an incline to get the same look. And photo shop is a big deal as well, it is one thing to take a halter out of the picture or something in the background, but when they clean up a sheath, topline, the neck, brisket or any other flaw that is worse than straw to me. Again, that is why I would never buy on animal from a picture, I would want to see it myself, first hand.

Latest posts