Trees Grass and Water. Hmmmm

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I watched " them" plant at least three new trees in the park behind my mom's house this morning. I watched em water the creek and a lil bit of the grass this afternoon on the way back to her house. Hmmm. I did not know it was a great idea to plant trees in the middle of summer. They look good right now. I hope they saved a little water for them! I wonder if it might be wiser to water some of the 100-150 year old oaks on the green belt right about now! What are those folks thinking........geez.

That's the thing nowdays they don't think. All the common sence seems to have flown out of the window. and no sence has come through the door.

You answered your own question when you said this is in Austin, I live 30 miles from their and watch your news daily, the leadership is a bunch of kooks , The city moto is (Keep Austin Weird ). Austin is building a 1.1 mile boardwalk along a lake trail that will take 2 years to build at a cost of 17 million dollars :???: Austin is building a 3.2 mie hike and bike trail at a cost of 1.9 million dollars, this is shovel ready stimulus money that will take 4 years to complete. This is just 2 of the many money wasting projects going on.

cowboy43":3fzvvly5 said:
You answered your own question when you said this is in Austin, I live 30 miles from their and watch your news daily, the leadership is a bunch of kooks , The city moto is (Keep Austin Weird ). Austin is building a 1.1 mile boardwalk along a lake trail that will take 2 years to build at a cost of 17 million dollars :???: Austin is building a 3.2 mie hike and bike trail at a cost of 1.9 million dollars, this is shovel ready stimulus money that will take 4 years to complete. This is just 2 of the many money wasting projects going on.

I didn't think Texas took any of the stimulus money? :???:

Lava I don't think the state did take any stimulus money but a lot of individual cities did. Couple of weeks ago I saw about 50-60 small trees that had been planted the last few months along new interstate construction. 99% of them were already dead. Don't think these people have any idea when the best time is to plant trees, etc.

These guvment projects are something else! The contractors (landscapers or others) have to complete a project on or before time lest they get payment penalties for going past the bid window.

ANYONE with knowledge of vegetation knows you DON'T plant stuff in 3 digit temps when also you have to dig 6 feet deep to find any moisture...doesn't apply to guvment project contractors...LOL!

As any informed person knows...in Texas you only plant in Fall or very early Spring in way of "landscape" plantings...otherwise it has to be re-done when weather is favorable...

:shock: :lol: :2cents: :dunce:

cowboy43":82877b8f said:

LOL! Austin is just another "foreign country" not too removed from Kalifornia...nuf said...

Running Arrow Bill":1lg4pdt9 said:
These guvment projects are something else! The contractors (landscapers or others) have to complete a project on or before time lest they get payment penalties for going past the bid window.

ANYONE with knowledge of vegetation knows you DON'T plant stuff in 3 digit temps when also you have to dig 6 feet deep to find any moisture...doesn't apply to guvment project contractors...LOL!

As any informed person knows...in Texas you only plant in Fall or very early Spring in way of "landscape" plantings...otherwise it has to be re-done when weather is favorable...

:shock: :lol: :2cents: :dunce:

I would have said those timeings were pretty good anywhere, of course spring here is kind of a few months latter

Running Arrow Bill":2nafz4e5 said:
cowboy43":2nafz4e5 said:

LOL! Austin is just another "foreign country" not too removed from Kalifornia...nuf said...

You don't like farmers and ranchers?

California leads all of the other states in farm income. It's positioned as the agricultural powerhouse of the United States. About 73% of the state's agricultural revenues are derived from crops while the other 27% of revenues are generated by livestock commodities.

In terms of revenue generated, California's top five agricultural products are dairy products, greenhouse and nursery products, grapes, almonds, and cattle and calves.

Crops
California grows over 200 different crops, some grown nowhere else in the nation. Crops include grapes, almonds, strawberries, oranges and walnuts.

California produces almost all of the country's almonds, apricots, dates, figs, kiwi fruit, nectarines, olives, pistachios, prunes, and walnuts. It leads in the production of avocados, grapes, lemons, melons, peaches, plums, and strawberries. Only Florida produces more oranges.

The most important vegetable crops grown in the state are lettuce and tomatoes. Again, California leads the way. Broccoli and carrots rank second followed by asparagus, cauliflower, celery, garlic, mushrooms, onions, and peppers. Only Texas grows more cotton than California.

Hay, rice, corn, sugar beets, and wheat are also grown in large quantities.

Livestock
Livestock and livestock products include milk, beef cattle, eggs, sheep, turkeys, hogs and horses. Dairy products are California's most valuable products followed by cattle and calves and chicken eggs.

California is the second ranked producer of livestock products behind Texas.

California is a beautiful state with a lot of good people , that has been over run by a leadership that does not represent the average worker especially agriculture, I am afraid the farmer and rancher is a dying breed across all the USA, the rural roots of our leadership in our Gov. passed away years ago. A group from a local farm organization was in DC visiting with the Senators when one from up north asked if cotton was still picked by hand in Texas, he was explained the process and was very appreciative and will be coming to Texas to visit with the farmers and ranchers, that is why we all need to get involved with a good farm organization that lobbies for farmers and ranchers in the state and federal level, that is only way they are informed of the problems within agriculture.

cowboy43":39d6t9hg said:
California is a beautiful state with a lot of good people , that has been over run by a leadership that does not represent the average worker especially agriculture, I am afraid the farmer and rancher is a dying breed across all the USA, the rural roots of our leadership in our Gov. passed away years ago. A group from a local farm organization was in DC visiting with the Senators when one from up north asked if cotton was still picked by hand in Texas, he was explained the process and was very appreciative and will be coming to Texas to visit with the farmers and ranchers, that is why we all need to get involved with a good farm organization that lobbies for farmers and ranchers in the state and federal level, that is only way they are informed of the problems within agriculture.

That is very important

Well, our area used to grow TONS of food crops, beans, corn, tons of fruit, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, etc.. just this small town used to fill 2 rail cars a day with food... now, NOTHING.. My dad is actually thinking of starting a coop to sell produce, so that every farm doesn't need a cooler, sorting machines, etc but I just don't think many people will jump aboard. The town has a budget of 5 million/year, and a tax revenue of 1.4 million, the rest of the money comes from grants, every project that ever happens here is because of a grant, and as soon as the grant goes, so does the project... The latest is a mobile chicken slaughter plant docking station (probably a million bucks), but after you slaughter your chickens, there's no place to freeze them... anything that happens comes from half baked ideas that aren't really thought through

highgrit":1boybigz said:
VanC you left one crop out Marijuana, lots of dopes live California.

Dopers live everywhere but, yes, California is the largest marijuana producing state in the U.S. by far. Here's the latest figures I found. Note the majority of the top ten marijuana producing states are located in the south, including your home state of Georgia. What the heck are you people doing down there? :lol2:

http://www.drugscience.org/Archive/bcr2/domstprod.html

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that you can't judge an entire state by what you see or hear in the media about one area. San Francisco or Los Angeles are no more a true representative of California than Austin is of Texas, or Atlanta is of Georgia, or Chicago is of my home state.

It should also be noted that California voters recently rejected a ballot initiative to legalize marijuana. They're not ALL dopers. Most Californians are decent, hard working people just like the rest of us.

Thank you, VanC.
Here where I'm at in Tulare County, everything that isn't a city is farmland. We literally farm every acre that isn't developed in housing. We butt up against the highest peaks in the continental US and you'll find cattle all the way from the valley floor to the tree line and some world class cowboys dealing with them. We're #1 in alot of crops and in the top ten for most. We're not Frisco here.
That being said, the Emerald Triangle, as it's refered to, is a huge pot growing region in northern CA. Mendocino Counties biggest cash crop is pot. When we fight to stop the state from legalizing marijuana, we get TONS of support from the illegal growers in the emerald triangle. They want it kept illegal. :clap: They actually have more clout with sacramento than us country rubes down here in flyover country. If it wasn't for them trying to keep their market pot would likely already be legal accross the board here.

Cal. may produce a lot of farm products but the number of oddballs outnumber the farmers by a huge number. The same for Austin and a lot of other places. Austin is almost as weird as SF but there are farmes in the county as well. They're just all conservative.

TexasBred":threh781 said:
Cal. may produce a lot of farm products

Texas is the #2 agriculture producing state in the country. California is #1 and produces TWICE as much as Texas so, yeah, I guess you could say they produce "a lot of farm products." :lol2:

Texas Bred":threh781 said:
but the number of oddballs outnumber the farmers by a huge number.

You must have spent lots of time in California to be able to say that. Tell us about it.

The same for Austin and a lot of other places. Austin is almost as weird as SF but there are farmes in the county as well.

There are farms and ranches in both San Francisco County and Los Angeles County, too, including dairy and beef. What's your point?

They're just all conservative.

Most farmers and ranchers are conservative. That goes for Texas, California, and every other state in the union. Most of the liberals are in the cities and college towns. Besides, what does it matter? Do conservative farmers and ranchers work harder than liberal ones? Are the products they produce better? Safer? Personally, I've never bought a shirt or a gallon of milk and wondered what the political affiliation was of the person that planted the cotton or milked the cow. Have you?

Don't forget, California gave us Ronald Reagan. ;-)

Van I wasn't arguing who produced the most of anything except radicals. BUT, like I said, farmers are greatly outnumbered in California...and Austin. Oh and by the way, you of all people should know that Illinois gave us Ronald Reagan although he settled in Cal. Sort of like Kenya giving us this dude we have now by way of Illinois. :mrgreen: