Travel GPS

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":263tocow said:
You mean to say you didn't deliver that bull?

Shame on you tom. :)
Not for that price, the others got delivered. By the way he never asked.

We've got a Garmin 255, about 3 or 4 years old. Never updated it, so every now and again it'll do something stupid. Took me to the edge of a cornfield one time and said "Navigate Offroad".

Other than that, I like it. Would be nice if you could program it to cuss, though. I'd love to see the look on folks' faces if she said, "Turn around, dumbass."

I have a Tom Tom and hate the mount for the windshield. As someone said earlier, get the one that has free map updates. Also a large screen for us old pharts.

We have a mid-price Garmin Nuvi and like it. It talks but not too much. The updates are about $50 per update or $100+ for "lifetime" but at some point they stop supporting the older units so "lifetime" is probably just a few years. We have never updated ours and haven't had any trouble. It saved my butt one time - had to make a 4 am trip to deliver someone to a rural airport in a place I was completely unfamiliar with. Dark and no landmarks and lots of turns. Woulda never found my way back to the hotel without the Garmin, at least not in time for another 40 winks. Hubby uses the speedometer display feature all the time because his speedometer on his old beater he drives back and forth to work is not accurate. I still want a map in the car for a road trip, but the Garmin is handy. Especially for finding gas, someplace to eat, etc. on the road.

cfpinz":2w74go3d said:
We've got a Garmin 255, about 3 or 4 years old. Never updated it, so every now and again it'll do something stupid. Took me to the edge of a cornfield one time and said "Navigate Offroad".

Other than that, I like it. Would be nice if you could program it to cuss, though. I'd love to see the look on folks' faces if she said, "Turn around, dumbass."
Have you used it to find our place? A couple of people have used them (not sure what brands) and they end up taking them about an extra 10 miles down a one line gravel road and over an old rickety 2 board bridge over the river.

dun":11a5ksk9 said:
Have you used it to find our place? A couple of people have used them (not sure what brands) and they end up taking them about an extra 10 miles down a one line gravel road and over an old rickety 2 board bridge over the river.

I've got yall's place saved in it, but I always cut it off before I get to Lebanon and go from memory from there on out. Big help there.

Getting one so you can come visit us?

We had a tomtom for years it been threw thick and thin. The battery died after 4 years. We took it all over the u.s. I love it! We thought we wanted a garmin, got one and didn't like it as much. So we got a new tomtom and still love him! Guess, it all depends on what you like. I enjoy tomtom he can take you off road and places that isn't on the beating path. One time he took us to some gravel roads that turn to creeks than water. I LOVE IT! We had a hummer so it was cool! Good luck!

Alan":2mcat08u said:
john250":2mcat08u said:
Maps. :nod:

Well, at least you didn't say the stars in the sky. :lol:

From what I have seen, personally, I'll buy a sextant and compass before I'll waste money on GPS. Around here, GPS tends to assume the Ohio River can be crossed anywhere, not just where there is a bridge.

they dont give low clearance for truckers ether , we have 2 - 11' over passes that have truck routes around them , and we have 2 a month get stuck under um -- funny thing is you otta see all the red and yellow warning lights , and they still drive useing the gps --

GPS can't prevent stupid.

FWIW, there are gps units specifically geared for truckers.

Latest posts