How well does Bulls Travel ???

Help Support CattleToday:

tdarden3k

Reaction score
Years ago when I was in the cattle business I always bought my bulls locally. Now that I am about to get back in those folks are long gone, I have decided that when I find the right bulls for me , I wanted to get him.... even if he was all the way upstate or even a state or 2 over.

I know that horses can be hauled all over the country, but then some of the horse trailers that I have seen are as nice as my travelling accomodations.

Just wondering if any of you have any experience hauling Pure Breed bulls over distance and how well they travel and / or any other considerations....... ( like pay more and buy as local as possible )

Thanks

Mine is sitting in Missouri with my partner as we speak. He was hauled there from Virginia and spent a year there breeding his cows. In a week he will get another trailer ride to Colorado.

The only thing i am worried about is how he will do with less air. Not him making the trip.

3waycross":3pqdvfbs said:
Mine is sitting in Missouri with my partner as we speak. He was hauled there from Virginia and spent a year there breeding his cows. In a week he will get another trailer ride to Colorado.

The only thing i am worried about is how he will do with less air. Not him making the trip.

And using just a regular cattle trailer ?

tdarden3k":1vqr0ag1 said:
3waycross":1vqr0ag1 said:

And using just a regular cattle trailer ?

Don't know what kind of ride he got to Missouri but he's gonna come to Colorado in the front section of a 20ft gooseneck stock trailer! I may not try to take the whole thing in one bite. If not then i will unload him about 150 miles from home and let him stretch out for the night or i might just feed and water him in the trailer.

I have one that came from wagon mound NM to SW Mo, spent two nights there and I picked him up and brought thin to E Ar. He never missed a lick.
Last October.
24243A4B-26F9-466C-8D0A-0CE46BB01245-12890-00000AF16B41AC83.jpg

When he got here in may of 11. First steps off the trailer.
d0ad427b.jpg

I don't know what he road to Mo in but he was with a bunch of other bulls coming from a working ranch going to a working ranch, I doubt he got coddled and fussed over.

jedstivers":21or3h4d said:
I have one that came from wagon mound NM to SW Mo, spent two nights there and I picked him up and brought thin to E Ar. He never missed a lick.
Last October.
24243A4B-26F9-466C-8D0A-0CE46BB01245-12890-00000AF16B41AC83.jpg

When he got here in may of 11. First steps off the trailer.
d0ad427b.jpg

I don't know what he road to Mo in but he was with a bunnolisch of other bulls coming from a working ranch going to a working ranch, I doubt he got coddled and fussed over.

Looks like you grabbed a nice young one off that truck. BTW I am in Magnolia ..... Extreme South Arkansas

3waycross":2d6basrt said:
Jed how did he do with the trasnsition from shortgrass to fescue?
We don't have any fescue, I kill it off. We can grow almost anything here so no needs in fescue like the areas that that's all they can grow.
Thanks tdarden, he's put some good calves down.

jedstivers":282zobsy said:
3waycross":282zobsy said:
Jed how did he do with the trasnsition from shortgrass to fescue?
We don't have any fescue, I kill it off. We can grow almost anything here so no needs in fescue like the areas that that's all they can grow.
Thanks tdarden, he's put some good calves down.

Thanks Jed and BTW i agree on the bull. How does he look now?

Here he is today, just took him out of the herd this past week. He's in a trap with a cow that had twins that I'm keeping on feed so they won't pull her down. He just had his wormer shots when we pulled him so it hasn't taken effect.
D24B93DD-5BFC-4DA5-B172-EE2B8694E55D-16283-0000141C2C0B748B.jpg

508E491E-7F6D-432E-8FF6-295D4C9F5364-16283-0000141C495DA8A9.jpg

Can't tell much from the picture but he looks good.

BTW what's that gren stuff on the ground?

Good looking bull, Jed.

I know a guy here in California that sells bulls in Idaho, Washington, and Nevada every year and he drives halfway and parks them overnight and then drives on in the morning and they arrive in great shape and his customers keep coming back for more. This is with a full load of them.
Stockers that we used to bring in had sometimes spent three days packed on the truck and it was really rare to have a problem with them so I don't see why a bull would be different.