Travel GPS

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Does anyone use the vehicle type tracel GPS like the TomTom or Garmin units? Which one do you use, what are your likes and dislikes about it?

Thanks

Wife and I both have the tom toms. Love it.
Garmin has been making gps for years for flight and marine navigation, and they are really user friendly. For us it came down to price.

I have maps on my droid phone and like it okay...BUT have used my kids Garmin and love it! Seems to be more accurate than my phone app. Sure is handy to have!

I have a garmin and use it all the time......
Mine is several years old and dedicated vehicle gps but I really like it.
also have a trail garmin that I use when riding. mostly just to keep track of where I have been and how far we rode.

rode 6.82 miles yesterday with some folks I had never met before.

We also have a Garmin, we usually use just while traveling, and we love it, makes driving in unfamiliar areas a snap. Although one thing I noticed, I used it to find Hereford sale about three hours away last year since the farm was in a remote area. Well I knew I had to hit the interstate south and stay on it, but rather then directing me the shortest and fastest way skirting Portland, it wanted me to go into the heart of Portland to hit I-5. That made me wonder about the same issues when I was in unfamiliar city, but we always got were we where going. A nice feature is if you want a grocery store or gas, etc. Garmin allows you to search by those features and list by the closes store or etc and provides directions. You are suppose to update the maps every few years via your computer at a cost of (I think) $50. Over all we love it.

Alan

Husband and I both have one. Makes our job so much easier not having to ask customers for directions to their homes. They're both Magellan units, about 3 years old. Wouldn't want to be without one ever again.
My criteria were:
1. Large enough screen and maps to make reading easy with just a glance
2. Easy to use. When looking at the demo units in the store, I was able to use the Magellans without reading any instructions. The Garmin units required reading the instructions. My husband is not electronics savvy, so this was really important. I'm sure alot has changed in 3 years however. The Tom-Tom was still pretty new at that time, and I wasn't able to find one to look at.
3. I didn't want to spend alot of money. I was able to buy these, on sale, for $100 ea

I also like that it will show gas stations, grocery stores, hotels, etc. That came in real handy when we were working out of state all the time.

There isn't really anything I don't like about them. Sometimes it'll take a route that you think is stupid, which drives hubby crazy. The routing options are fastest (which can get complicated in cities) or shortest, which isn't always faster. You can't tell it to use objective and subjective reasoning, which is what my husband wants it to do.
You might also want to look at how long it takes the unit to reaquire the route when you've missed or ignored a turn. Sometimes it can take a block or two to recover.

Dun, I use the GPS every day for work. I go thru about one every other year. The Garmin and Tom are both excellent units, but you want to buy one with free updates. They both work about the same but are worthless unless updated every 6 months. The updates can get pricey unless you buy one with free updating.

We have a Garmin. It has been a real Godsend on a couple of ocassions. However it really needs to be updated so I guess I will be spending some money soon.

We've had a TomTom for several years now. They really are worth the money. Best thing tho is that no matter how "lost" you get....you can just hit the home button and it will get you back home. :lol2:

one quick tip ......

I have been advised to not identify home as home.....

If your gps is ever liberated the liberator then know exactly where all your other electronics guns and goods are located......

instead of home idnetify it as something meanigful only to you.

tip was passed on to me by someone who learned this the hard way when GPS was fairly new and they were being stolen out of automobiles.

When I had the Garmin they offered lifetime updates for $120.00. I don't know about all of them, but the three I've had each one had a multiple route option, which could take you around downtown areas. Besides the occasional left turn command while driving on the interstate, I love having a GPS.

pdfangus":qv5f54np said:
one quick tip ......

If your gps is ever liberated the liberator then know exactly where all your other electronics guns and goods are located......

tip was passed on to me by someone who learned this the hard way when GPS was fairly new and they were being stolen out of automobiles.

The old model I have doesn't give you choice. Guess you could leave that blank and label another destination as "PDF's" place. :nod:

TexasBred":gi10596v said:
pdfangus":gi10596v said:
one quick tip ......

The old model I have doesn't give you choice. Guess you could leave that blank and label another destination as "PDF's" place. :nod:
Or label it police department or sheriffs office....................... you could ewven put down your neighbors house as home. If you can;t find your way home from the neighbors you're way too drunk to be driving anyway

When Garmin works well,it works well, but does get it directions mixed up sometimes.
Really need to read the manual to not get all confused. :help: As a general rule I don't read manuals.

RECALCULATING RECALCULATING RECALCULATING :mad:

I work with a fellow we call Tom Tom, he never shuts up and is seldom right giving directions.

I have used a lot of handheld units but never really had the need for a in-vehicle model. Garmin is very user friendly in their handhelds, I would think that would translate into their in-vehicle models as well.

I bought a Tom Tom for my daughter to use during her summer job, broke less than 3 hours into the first trip. Returned for refund and never got another. Not found a GPS that can find our place when giving a address, guy tried Saturday that came to pick up a bull. I think they are a good tool but a persone should not totally depend on them.

Latest posts