Trask 4013

Help Support CattleToday:

This issue has been looked at and most of the people who were making the accusations back in the day are dead as are their cattle, most of whom wound up in the forgotten dust bins of ancient history. The 23D bull appears in the pedigree of many of the cattle in the top Hereford herds around the world today. Every major AI stud that handles Herefords is marketing semen from at least one 23D decendant. This is a capitalist country. Cattle that contribute to the bottomline get multiplied. Cattle that don't offer anything don't. Hereford IS what Hereford says Hereford IS.

jhambley":24z6d8oy said:
Here is another Hathcock bred bull. He's a paternal half brother to the bull I just posted. Mr Hathcock sold him to Teddy Gentry at Bent Tree.

btbull1.jpg
Where did the horns come from if Mr. Hathcock breeds a blend of Trask and Victor Domino bloodlines?

The horne4d bull could and probabley is a hard calver. I would be a little skeptical trying to sell his sons to some of our commercial men. E.B.

jhambley":18bzjjg6 said:
Mr. Trask used horned bulls at times so every once in a while a horned one shows up.
I saw where a Trask bull advertised over at the Bakewell site had Line One on the top side. I think that I remember where Fowken Farms had a "Trask" bull for sale a few years ago that had a Line One parent.

Post Oak":1nzosnq9 said:
Beef Man":1nzosnq9 said:
The horne4d bull could and probabley is a hard calver. I would be a little skeptical trying to sell his sons to some of our commercial men. E.B.
How is that?
Anytime you see abull with a head that is that thick and all that betweenthe eyes it looks like trouble to me. Just my own observation.]

Knersie,
Agreed! Also would you please give me your take on their eye structure. I am trying to get better at evaluating eye structure, but have a long way to go. I can't tell if there are some concerns or if they are just squinting due to the sunlight.
Thanks!
Ron

R V":2vk3s1dk said:
Knersie,
Agreed! Also would you please give me your take on their eye structure. I am trying to get better at evaluating eye structure, but have a long way to go. I can't tell if there are some concerns or if they are just squinting due to the sunlight.
Thanks!
Ron

Ideally you'd like a much more prominent eye brow so that the eye is more hooded with eyelashes pointing downwards. The lack of pigment is a non-issue, it does very little (if anything) good, but it does help to sell bulls. The bull's face is a bit too open for the purist and therefore lacks a bit of character, but it would not bother me at all for commercial use.

On the calving ease issue, that line of herefords is known for calving ease and besides I've never seen a calf's head get hung up on the sides of the birth canal, the real issue is when the forehead hits the top of the pelvic opening and the head turns back, that is just about the worst case scenario as it will very often result in a C section. Most difficult births that need slight assistance will be because the poll of the head is a tight fit in the birth canal, especially with first calvers. If you think about it, the head rests on top of the front legs, so excessive bone (especially the wrong kind of bone, ie heavy round bone) and very long heads are the real culprits when it comes to dystocia. Another factors that plays a role is very prominent or open shoulders, very prominent hooks and a lack of neck extension that causes everything to hit the birth canal at the same time.

Selection for narrow foreheads is about as effective as the selection for narrow chests as width in an animal runs from end to end, typically width between the eyes, will correlate to chest width, heart girth, well sprung ribs, width between the hooks and width between the pins and such animals will have a square rump when seen from behind. The opposite will also apply, narrow between the eyes equals narrow chest, lack of heart girth, lack of srping of rib, narrow hips, closed pins and a roofy rump when seen from behind. In my mind if you start making the entire animal narrower the pelvic opening and birth canal will follow suit.

I know which of these two types I'd rather farm with.... and remember as with all traits.... nature doesn't tolerate extremes!

Post Oak":mcess2rh said:
jhambley":mcess2rh said:
Here is another Hathcock bred bull. He's a paternal half brother to the bull I just posted. Mr Hathcock sold him to Teddy Gentry at Bent Tree.

btbull1.jpg
Where did the horns come from if Mr. Hathcock breeds a blend of Trask and Victor Domino bloodlines?

Based on what I can see of the poll and horn growth, if I could verify that in person I'd bet $100 those are scurs. Would need a DNA test to prove it.

Has anyone seen this bull or seen a picture of BTF 167 5100. He is a Sadie Boc grandson. I flushed a cow this spring to him because of pedigree and Teddy Gentry, Dave Roberts, and Tom McGrady recommendation. I have a cow herd of 130 head in Alberta, Canada. Every Polled Hereford goes back to Keynote up here except mine. I have brought genetics from the USA and am always looking for something good that doesn't carry Keynote blood, if anyone has Polled blood send me info. I already have a Kiyiwana New Trend son from the 6191 cow. I just brought up EPHR Sunnyside 828W. A Domino son from Kuhlmans in Nebraska. I am using a son from a cow that came from South Dakota from Braxton Giant 1 and Anahiga Vic 159, I flushed a cow to Havre King Domino 71J, I have also used BTF Grazer 5015 semen. Your cattle down there can survive on less feed than most genetics up here.
Mick

Latest posts