Trask Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Posting Plato Banner HV801 for budhill.

Bull88011_zpsb98c0482.jpg

From Bud Hill: Plato Banner HV801, bred by Hill Vue Farm, Blairsville, GA; 2500 lbs on pasture, line bred Trask/Fowler/Plato Hill Vue thru cousin lines; too heavy or big for me for continued use but needed for a while to add a little more size to cows that have become smaller by intense line breeding; this is the type of "Trask" bull Mr. Trask would breed and use on occasion, back in his peak years, to up his cow size as needed to stay in the middle of the road; not a tall bull but of great depth, large heart girth, great thickness, long, deep in quarter, good hustle, pigmented and prepotent; bull not for sale.

Really good looking bull Bud. I remember years ago seeing where you used the 454 bull on your linebred Plato Dominos. What influence did he give you? He had the same old Felton breeding that Jere Caldwell of KY was using years ago.
DM

I had a Trask cow once and my neighbor still runs them in his grass fed operation. That cow would breed back about a month after calving. She was the most fertile cow that I have ever had, she had perfect udders, and I never had eye problems out of her. The problem was that she never raised a calf much over 400 pounds in 7 to 8 months. I have thought about checking with Fowler or Dillard in the spring of 2014 and see if they have any bulls with high WW and high BW epds that they would sell me.

Felton 454 was bought (before Felton became super expensive) and used as were his sons way way back. That blood added height. Eventually the blend worked as did those out cross bulls that Mr. Trask used long ago. A little shot but not enough to ruin but to strengthen and to maintain.

Post Oak":2nno5prk said:
I had a Trask cow once and my neighbor still runs them in his grass fed operation. That cow would breed back about a month after calving. She was the most fertile cow that I have ever had, she had perfect udders, and I never had eye problems out of her. The problem was that she never raised a calf much over 400 pounds in 7 to 8 months. I have thought about checking with Fowler or Dillard in the spring of 2014 and see if they have any bulls with high WW and high BW epds that they would sell me.

Did you ever think her moderate milk and calf growth had something to do with her extreme fertility and fleshing in your environment?

AllForage":1uljhgbe said:
Post Oak":1uljhgbe said:

Did you ever think her moderate milk and calf growth had something to do with her extreme fertility and fleshing in your environment?
I think that it had everything to do with it.

The Trask cows have very low EPD's mainly due to the fact that Mr. Trask did not participate in the old Guide Lines program, and I did not report complete calf crops for many many years. Thus there was no comparison info data worked thnru the system. However, those guys that put a high numbered EPD outcross bull on their "Trask" cows soon discovered that all their cows want have a cosiderable jump in EPD's right away. A little bit of the numbers game, maybe. Those interested in Trask breeding stock can check my website wwww.hillvuefarm.com for my annual sale the last of every Oct.

Post Oak":30mlji3j said:
AllForage":30mlji3j said:
Post Oak":30mlji3j said:

I think that it had everything to do with it.
That's a low maintenance money maker.

We've been using a Trask bred bull on the topside out of a Miami and P606 female on heifers. Excellent calving ease, lots of thickness and shape, with moderate frame.

If the inquiry is for Hill Vue on the 8801 bull, you can look him up on the Hereford website and key as a guest and search by his name.

If the inquiry is about the catalog for our sale , two or three weeks prior to the last Mon in Oct.

For the inquiry on Graham Angus. Graham is and old line but not an old type.

MidTnCattle finished up the catalog last wk. Shouldnt be long. PM me your info will send you a flyer and catalog if you'd like.

Latest posts