Trask Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I would have to agree with Allforage. Not much Trask blood in that pedigree. Even the NT Plato 19 207 bull on the top side is 50% L1.

If you read carefully it says a Trask bred bull on the top side. It didn't say straight Trask bred or line bred Trask. It just implied that he had some of the Trask breeding. He will sire 5-5.5 frame cattle. He will moderate anything bigger than that. And keep a 5-5.5 were they are. Lots of meat in them. Dark red and red eyed. Will try and get a picture of him soon.

CANDYMEADOW":37kvtv84 said:
If you read carefully it says a Trask bred bull on the top side. It didn't say straight Trask bred or line bred Trask. It just implied that he had some of the Trask breeding. He will sire 5-5.5 frame cattle. He will moderate anything bigger than that. And keep a 5-5.5 were they are. Lots of meat in them. Dark red and red eyed. Will try and get a picture of him soon.

If my calculations are correct, your bull only carries 12.5% Trask blood without really digging deep. Therefore he will only pass on 6.25% onto his calves. I do not recognize any Trask lines on any of the maternal sides. Your bull's sire only carried 50% and the other was L1. Perhaps MR. Hill (or anyone else) could provide us with some Trask cow family names to help when looking through pedigrees.

To say Trask bred on the top side is pretty much misleading and wrong. When one invokes such names of well known bloodlines, you have to understand it is thought that a certain level of that line's and breeder's selection pressure's propotency comes along. With your bull's %, it is at a level that will not carry much weight at all. Close breeding and closed herd selection may not be your interest, but these natural laws do not change.

Look this bull up, PPH Domino Plato Rupert 2, 42965967 reg number. He is owned by Ozarkhills Genetics. I saw him and bought semen and 8 heifers bred to him that are due starting in February. I love the bull and cant wait to see his calves. If you look back on his pedigree he is strong NT bred. He is what I would call a Trask bred bull even though he is one generation removed from the NT prefix.

KHereford":25ecbi46 said:
Look this bull up, PPH Domino Plato Rupert 2, 42965967 reg number. He is owned by Ozarkhills Genetics. I saw him and bought semen and 8 heifers bred to him that are due starting in February. I love the bull and cant wait to see his calves. If you look back on his pedigree he is strong NT bred. He is what I would call a Trask bred bull even though he is one generation removed from the NT prefix.

Link for above mentioned bull
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5C22235827242E&9=5E5E5B

KHereford":24lupx59 said:

Looks like your bull's dam's sire had some L1 as well. Otherwise a lot more Trask breeding. Have a picture you are willing to share?

I wish I would have at least taken some on my phone but no I dont have any. I will try and get out this weekend and get some pics of the heifers.

To those interested in knowing various Trask breeding names and identity, let me first say that Mr. Trask did not always use his NT prefix in his naming. Sometimes he would than he would not for a while. Note these old bulls: Hartland Rupert 66, Plato Woodford 31, Repeater Plato 6, Plato Mischief, B Plato Rupert, Double Plato 31. As for some names to look for his breeding: Rupert Plato, Plato Aster, Tiberius Plato, Battle Plato, Austin Plato, Plato Anxiety, Victor Plato, Plato Domino. The dominate name is Plato. His comtemorary Mr. Buddy Fowler used the dominate name Battle and earlier prefix NRF and later FF as is used today. Mr. Trask would bring in outside blood by way of sons of certain lines and thus blend in his heard. He used the NT prefix in later years again and also TR but his cows got smaller from very intense close breeding. He was not as active later.

Mr. Hill,

With all due respect, "intense" line breeding does not necessarily reduce the size of animals. It is up to the selection pressure of the breeder. I will point the L1 line as an example of increasing size within a closed gene pool. Perhaps Mr. Trasks environment, management, and selection brought his cow size down in later years. There is no intense line breeding. It is either line breeding or something else.

Looks like you have figured it out. Depends on how big the gene pool is as well. The L1 line is a vast pool now. Our 8801 bull at 2500 lbs is a product of a more distant cousin mating within the same gene pool'

budhill":adh07cg8 said:
Looks like you have figured it out. Depends on how big the gene pool is as well. The L1 line is a vast pool now. Our 8801 bull at 2500 lbs is a product of a more distant cousin mating within the same gene pool'

I was referring to the original L1 herd that is at Fort Keogh (I think that is right). The "genepool" there I believe has actually shrunk from it's inception.

budhill":1xql706q said:
My name is Bud Hill of Hill Vue Farm, Blairsville GA. I have been linebreeding Trask Cattle for 45 years. I knew Mr. Trask very well and can give the history on his breeding philosophy and the Trask/Fowler connection.
Are the Fowlers in Jonesville,SC still raising straight Trask bloodlines or they outcrossing now?

Bud Hill,
I enjoyed looking through your web site and really liked the picture of the Hereford bull you posted earlier in this tread. Do you have any semen collected on that bull? Hopefully, you and others will continue to post info on the Trask cattle and other lines of Herefort cattle.
Thanks!
Ron

Latest posts